Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-01, HDMI and live view

I am considering buying a K-01 to attach it to a microscope, I noticed it has an HDMI port and I was wondering if it is possible to use an HD TV or similar device while taking pictures. I have tried this with my K-x, although it can show me the live view on a connected TV the image is so bad that it is not useful for my purposes. Has anybody tried this? Is it possible? I checked the user manual, it does not mention anything about using the video output in this way but neither does the user manual for my K-x. The manual does indicate it remain in playback mode but I was wondiering if there is any little chance this idea could work...

12-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, but K-01 HDMI output is for playback only, What Blog is This?: So far yet so close... (Pentax K-01 and video)
12-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can I ask, how is the picture bad? I use LV using objectives on k5 and k7 output to pc screen or field monitor and it works ok (grainy and dark tho). This HDMI limitation on k-01 is why I didn't buy it either, myself.
12-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks johnmflores, I was afraid that was the case. Nass, I've been working with fluorescence for a few months by now, there are some details that are just too small to appreciate through the viewfinder, using the LCD does not give me a better perspective in those cases either. I tried to use an old TV but the results are not better. I currently use a 1.5x viewfinder from Pentax, it helps a lot but focusing is still problematic.

Withe the recent reduction in prices for the K-01 I was hoping to buy one to use mostly with the microscope, but I guess I would have to wait until the next version.

12-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Perhaps a Sony Nex might be the better option for microscope use?

You shouldn't need SR when mounted stationary and the movable screen and better HDMI out may be just what you're looking for.
12-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Getting a NEX is my last option, it would eventually mean to switch to Sony and forget about my K-x and lenses, I'm not ready for that yet.
12-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter

You can always run your Pentax lenses of your on the Sony NEX of your choice with a pretty inexpensive lens adapter.