Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Just bought k-01, my first pentax

Hi Folks,

I am a longtime NIkon guy (still own a d90 and some lenses, in the process of selling my d70). I had been lusting after the k-5 for a long time, but given that k-01 offers almost all the benefits (except OVF and weather sealing) I decided to pull the trigger as the price seemed perfect and I could do with a little less bulk given that I take my entire camera bag on hikes. I also ordered a couple of lenses, a vivitar 28mm f2.8 close focus + tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 ld di which fit within my budget for now.

It would be very helpful if you folks could give me some pointers w.r.t the following
- effectiveness of pentax's sensor shift Image stabilization (comparison pics if any)
- Help me decide which lens to get the tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the 16-45 f4 lens, considering price/performance ratio. The 16-50 f2.8 DA* is way out of my league.
- Reasonable budget wide-angle suggestions, K mount, AF or MF. I just wish there were a tokina 11-16 for K mount.

This is basically a long-term plan in order to decide whether I should stick with NIkon or go with Pentax.

Appreciate it and I hope for a long standing relationship with pentax and this forum.

12-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! I'd go for the Tamron 17-50mm, because the extra stop and better IQ are worthwhile IMO.

Sensor-shift SR is just as good as VR at all but the longest focal lengths, and it stabilizes your primes, which is a huge plus. I can get perfectly-sharp pics at 1/15s with SR. Did a comparison of my K-5 vs a D800 and the results were both just as sharp.

Here are some comparative samples with SR on vs SR off: Pentax K-5 Camera Review - Image Tests - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For wide angle I suggest a used Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, which can be had for approx $375
12-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd skip the 17-50 and get the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. It's a HUGELY useful zoom range, and it's an extremely sharp lens. Extremely sharp. It is pretty large though. Did you get the 40mm XS f2.8 with your camera? If not, I highly recommend the SMC-F or SMC-FA 50mm f1.7 (autofocus) lens. I have the earlier F version, and it's easily my favorite lens, and it looks quite nice on the K-01. There's an f1.4 version as well, but it's not as sharp at equivalent large apertures, but equalizes around f2.8. Either is a great lens, but the 1.7 is often cheaper, if a little harder to find. I prefer the extra sharpness over the extra half stop.

The DA 18-55mm shouldn't be ignored. It's not fast like the Tammy, but it's very inexpensive. It may be a kit lens, but it's rated very highly in the database, and you could do a LOT worse. Being a pentax lens, any distortion is automatically compensated for by your camera too.

Speaking of kit lenses, the DA 55-300 is a very nice zoom for the price. It is also a very solid performer, and very well-rated.

Charles.

12-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@Adam: Thanks for link. Pretty much what I was looking for.

@ChopperCharles: For crop sensors wouldn't 17-50 focal lengths be a better option than 28-70? I've also heard tammy's 17-50 is sharper than the 28-70 although that could be attributed to light falloff at the image border for FF. Will keep the 50 f1.7 in mind though. I have a chinon 55 f1.7 screw mount which is also really good and I plan to use that as of now. About the 55-300, I got the 70-300 tammy so I'll shoot with that for now unless I find the performance unacceptable.
12-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Honestly, when I was shooting with the kit 18-55 lens, I OFTEN found myself wishing for a little more reach. I found the trade off of losing a little on the wide end an acceptable one to make, but I shoot a lot of people, and few landscapes. (And even when I do shoot landscapes I prefer to select one interesting element instead of trying to capture the whole scene). Also, don't confuse the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 with the Tokina 28-70 f2.8. The Tamron is sharper than the Tokina, and goes to 75mm.

Both of the Tamrons are great lenses, it depends on what focal lengths you think you'll use most. Since I already have the 18-55 kit lens, and because it's already a pretty nice lens, I opted for the 28-75 Tammy. And to be honest, since then I RARELY take that 18-55 out.

Charles.