Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-01 + 40mm XS: break in period?

After selling of my Pentax K100D Super and K-x bodies I switched to the Samsung NX System some time ago. Fortunately I kept al my Pentax MF lenses. I'm still an enthusiast Samsung NX user and I really like my NX10 and several NX lenses.

Using my Pentax MF lenses turned out not very satisfying to me with the NX, as well as the disappointing hight ISO performance. The recent price drop of the K-01 caused me ordering this new Pentax along with the 40mm XS prime. The 18-55mm WR was also very cheap (€ 75,- in The Netherlands) so I got this as well.

First experience with the K-01 was kind of disappointing. Despite upgrading to the most recent FW I wasn't getting very sharp images from both lenses in lots of pictures. Now, after approx. 250 images shot with the K-01, I'm getting the sharpness I was hoping for in most pictures. It seems that the camera and/ or lens needed some time to settle and break in like you read about cars and hi-fi speakers.

Am I wrong or is this normal?

12-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably you used certain settings on the K-01 for certain shots based on environment. Also maybe you shot with the kit lens more at first and the photos seem soft compared to the 40 XS. There is no break-in period for camera sensors. I would say look analyze your photos from the past to the ones current and see what differences you've shot based on settings and environment.
12-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smarter Quote
After selling of my Pentax K100D Super and K-x bodies I switched to the Samsung NX System some time ago. Fortunately I kept al my Pentax MF lenses. I'm still an enthusiast Samsung NX user and I really like my NX10 and several NX lenses.

Using my Pentax MF lenses turned out not very satisfying to me with the NX, as well as the disappointing hight ISO performance. The recent price drop of the K-01 caused me ordering this new Pentax along with the 40mm XS prime. The 18-55mm WR was also very cheap (€ 75,- in The Netherlands) so I got this as well.

First experience with the K-01 was kind of disappointing. Despite upgrading to the most recent FW I wasn't getting very sharp images from both lenses in lots of pictures. Now, after approx. 250 images shot with the K-01, I'm getting the sharpness I was hoping for in most pictures. It seems that the camera and/ or lens needed some time to settle and break in like you read about cars and hi-fi speakers.

Am I wrong or is this normal?
I don't think you're wrong, but the reason you weren't getting sharp photos could be that you were used to holding a smaller body or needed to get familiar with focus peaking, etc. Shouldn't have anything to do with your hardware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think you're wrong, but the reason you weren't getting sharp photos could be that you were used to holding a smaller body or needed to get familiar with focus peaking, etc. Shouldn't have anything to do with your hardware.
Thanks for the quick replies.

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to use my new camera yet. I only took pictures in and around the house. This time of the year the light is quite dim, so only high ISO pictures are possible to get decent shutter speed. I notice that I need shutter speeds of 1/80 and faster to get sharp pictures, with moving subjects even faster (+ 1/125).

SR seems a lot less effective as I was used to before with my former K-x, but that is probably because of the fact I'm holding the K-01 loose in my hands, while my K-x was stabilized because of holding it with the viewfinder to my eye.

All learning curve with a new toy I guess...

To be certain: I read a review of the K-01 where the reviewer needed several copies of the K-01 before he got a decent one. After getting a good one he was very positive about the K01. How is the sample variation in real life and how can I determine that I received a good one right away?

12-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #5

The only part of the equation that will improve with "break in" is you! You can increase your stability by extending the camera with the neckstrap attached. It's a better way of working with people in my view, as you're not hidden behind a black slab.

As far as hifi break in goes, I've only experienced it with paper cone speakers. Our auditory memory is so frightfully short. Who really knows?