Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Despite more for my $$ with NEX-5N, I just bought a K-01

With the price of a lot of the cameras I've been watching lately dropping drastically, the last few weeks have been hard on the wallet, today being no exception. I had high hopes for the K-01 for an aerial camera when it first came out, but for the money I could get a lot more camera for the money with the Sony Nex-5n, with it's 10fps burst mode, 1080-60p video etc., so when prices dropped a couple of hundred dollars on the NEX-5n a few weeks ago I grabbed one. I've been keeping an eye out for a spare body for it (since I'm going to be sending it up on RC aircraft having a spare is prudent) when I came across a couple of other deals today, one being the K-01 body for $300 & change or $400 & change with 40mm lens, the other being the Panasonic GH2 body for $499 ($400 drop)

I came SO close to pulling the trigger on the GH2, but a couple of things stopped me. One being I'd still need to get a lens, the other being I've been wondering what to get the better 1/2 for Christmas this year. I chose the latter because at those prices the K-01 makes a little more sense now, and she already has a K-x with Sigma 18-250 lens and the kit lens. She also finds the K-x not the best to do video with, so I think she'll find the K-01 a lot better, plus it will be smaller to pack when she doesn't feel like packing the DSLR with her, and can use her other lenses if she chooses. (I've also got a lot of older Pentax glass around)

I was going to get body only since she already has the kit lens she hardly uses from her K-x, but I think when I pick it up tomorrow I may opt for the body + 40mm prime lens. This gives her a very compact high quality camera the size of a P&S, and an 40mm she can play with on her K-x if she wants. I'll have a 3 hour drive tomorrow to make up my mind.

Unfortunately all the local store had left was black, in either body or body+40mm, her K-x is white and likes being able to tell it apart from others when there are a lot of cameras around, however should she want the white or a different colour I'm sure she could leave it unopened and trade it when they get more stock in.

The other bonus is that with it's 720-60p video, it will still make an excellent aerial cam for me for videos, as well as a great cam for aerial still shots. (when she's not home, of course )

12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought about recently getting the NEX-5N but opted for the Pentax K-01 because I have a Pentax K10D with a 18-55mm lense. The idea of getting the 40mm XS F1.4 lens helped make the decision easier as well. Shortly after getting the K-01 I ended up getting a Q with K mount adapter to have fun with the lens that I have and now I am thinking about getting a nice F2.3 200mm-300mm lens. Between these 3 cameras I will have tons of range. The Q has a crop factor of +5.5x which will make my Q capable of taking photos with F2.3 quality at up to 1650mm telephoto range. My F1.4 lense will have an effective range of 220mm. By sticking wtih Pentax I'm able to experiment and have fun with the lenses that I own and every new lens that I get will carry over for fun with each camera.

The NEX5 is very nice but staying Pentax made more sense for me. Prices on the K-01 and the Q are very nice right now as well.
12-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01 is a great camera, and now at a bargain price. Lots of lenses to consider, but then I have other Pentax bodies to fit them on, too. I think you cannot go wrong with this one. Hope she likes it!
12-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SonDa5 Quote
I thought about recently getting the NEX-5N but opted for the Pentax K-01 because I have a Pentax K10D with a 18-55mm lense. The idea of getting the 40mm XS F1.4 lens helped make the decision easier as well. Shortly after getting the K-01 I ended up getting a Q with K mount adapter to have fun with the lens that I have and now I am thinking about getting a nice F2.3 200mm-300mm lens. Between these 3 cameras I will have tons of range. The Q has a crop factor of +5.5x which will make my Q capable of taking photos with F2.3 quality at up to 1650mm telephoto range. My F1.4 lense will have an effective range of 220mm. By sticking wtih Pentax I'm able to experiment and have fun with the lenses that I own and every new lens that I get will carry over for fun with each camera.

The NEX5 is very nice but staying Pentax made more sense for me. Prices on the K-01 and the Q are very nice right now as well.
I have a K10D as well, with the Pentax 18-250 lens on it, as well as a slew of film cameras, from MZ7 to Spotmatics, so lots of K mount lenses and a couple of nice Super Takumar M42 lenses. I was thinking about selling the K10D after I got the NEX-5n but decided to hang on to it. I have the battery grip with it and I still prefer looking through a view finder over looking at a screen by far. The NEX is a great camera though, I bought it mainly for aerial use but I am getting a lot of every day use out of it too, and with the 16mm pancake lens it's tiny & light.

12-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well, changed my mind and didn't buy it, note to self, pay more attention to specs next time. I got to the store that I had put one aside for me and when I had a closer look at it my first impression was "holy crap this thing is HUGE!" Very nice screen and I like how it felt, but totally not what I was looking for. Having never seen one yet I was assuming from pic's that size wise it would be maybe a little bigger than my NEX-5N and something she could slip in a jacket pocket when she didn't feel like taking her K-x, especially with the 40mm on it. But this thing is pretty well the same size as her K-x so no real advantage there.

I had a look at the Q, nice little camera but unable to use my existing glass so for the price I can get another NEX-5n, so didn't bite on that either.
12-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes the k-x would likely be the same size as a k-01, so it has very nice features but 'compact' is not one of them. It fits under a jacket better though with no eyepiece shroud projecting back. Hope you find a good alternate present, and soon!
12-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen_S Quote
Well, changed my mind and didn't buy it, note to self, pay more attention to specs next time. I got to the store that I had put one aside for me and when I had a closer look at it my first impression was "holy crap this thing is HUGE!" Very nice screen and I like how it felt, but totally not what I was looking for. Having never seen one yet I was assuming from pic's that size wise it would be maybe a little bigger than my NEX-5N and something she could slip in a jacket pocket when she didn't feel like taking her K-x, especially with the 40mm on it. But this thing is pretty well the same size as her K-x so no real advantage there.

I had a look at the Q, nice little camera but unable to use my existing glass so for the price I can get another NEX-5n, so didn't bite on that either.
This is a very handy site to compare camera sizes. They didn't have the 40mm pancake so I didn't put a lens on the k-01. The 40mm would just make it slightly bigger.

Compact Camera Meter

12-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks - I'm assuming Pentax is coming out with a new model to replace the K-01 soon. Hopefully it will be a little more compact. I'm tempted to pick up another nex-5n and get the K adapter, but I'll just wait and see what Pentax comes up with next..