Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 as P&S

My wife want a point and shoot.
She says the DSLR is a little confusing for her.
I was thinking of get her the k-01.

The reason is that I can actually use it if I need a backup camera and she can use it for her needs.
What do you think? How point and shoot is the K-01?
The only problem she might have is the fact that there is no zoom with the 40mm lens. Which I will say people like about point and shoot.
Since she will be the "main" user I dont want to convince her to get something she might not like. Putting a zoom lens will defeat the purpose.
Is there any form of digital zoom on the K-01? I did not see anything in the manual. But maybe I missed something.

12-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
My wife want a point and shoot.
She says the DSLR is a little confusing for her.
I was thinking of get her the k-01.
Well, it's also ENORMOUS compared to what most people consider to be a "P&S"-type camera. Keep that in mind.
12-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The size difference to a regular P&S is a tradeoff to image quality and lens versatility. You need to decide if she will use/appreciate those things. If not, buy the K-01 for yourself anyway
12-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #4

I almost sold mine due to the slow focus and af issues and how hard it was to give to someone to take a non blurry photo - even in auto mode..... but, I have to say, since the firmware update, this is much improved - it's almost like a new camera... word of warning with the 40mmXS, is that it is a little tight for indoor group shots - you are better of with a 21mm LTD...

12-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Well, it's also ENORMOUS compared to what most people consider to be a "P&S"-type camera. Keep that in mind.
She didnt seem to mind the size when I showed her the camera on web.

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
The size difference to a regular P&S is a tradeoff to image quality and lens versatility. You need to decide if she will use/appreciate those things. If not, buy the K-01 for yourself anyway
If I could be so lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by aardvarkgeo Quote
I almost sold mine due to the slow focus and af issues and how hard it was to give to someone to take a non blurry photo - even in auto mode..... but, I have to say, since the firmware update, this is much improved - it's almost like a new camera... word of warning with the 40mmXS, is that it is a little tight for indoor group shots - you are better of with a 21mm LTD...
Thanks for the information and the warning. I think I really have to reconsider this. The 21mm ltd will cost too much.
She wants a cheap camera that is about 100. Adding a 21mm ltd will not sell to her.
12-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like a traditional point-and-shoot would be right for her. I would look at Sony or Canon compacts as Pentax doesn't even have anything to offer in that camp at the moment except for the WG-2, unless your wife would care for something like this:

Pentax Optio LS465 Digital Camera - Purple 2.7 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Which isn't much better than a phone camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I've been handing mine to people at work to take photos of gatherings. They're P&S people and are befuddled by the lack of zoom and the need to half press the shutter button. I found one person twisting the aperature ring and opining that she was sure there was a "fancy zoom" function somewhere if she could only figure it out. On the other hand, on 3 occasions with 3 separate novice users and no more instruction from me than "press this button to take a picture and walk closer if you want to zoom" they've come back with very usable shots. And they've liked the look and feel of the camera. So if size isn't an issue, I think the K-01 can function well as a P&S.

My solution to the zoom issue has been to slap on a Pentax-F 35-70. This is a very competent lens that has the right size and looks for the K-01 and can be had routinely for $60 or so on eBay.

Russ
12-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #8

It's not the right camera for her needs.

Compared to a p&s it's huge, heavy, slow and way too long. Looking at it online is one thing, holding it in your hand and/or carrying it around in a purse is something entirely different. It's small compared to a d7000, but it is large enough to be at home in a camera bag. 60mm is pretty tight for around the house shots and not at all convenient for someone unfamiliar with prime lenses.

My advice, separate your wants from her needs. You could grab a k01 for yourself and a nikon v1 for her and still come in just a hair above the rx100.

12-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would get her a point and shoot. I got my daughter a Canon S100 for a school trip because had a decent wide\fast lense.

The K-01 will frustrate her. She'll always be to far or to close with the 40mm prime and if she swaps lense to a zoom, she'll think it's to big.

I do have to say my wife think it's less intimidating because it does look like a point & shoot and has the live view.
12-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think a pocketable point and shoot with great image quality is the way to go. So, Canon S95, S100, or S110, depending on what you can afford. I love my S95. The S100 and S110 have better HD video and a wider field of view.
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Its agreed then. I will get her a point and shoot.

Thanks guys for all the perspectives and advice.
12-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

what about the Q?

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Its agreed then. I will get her a point and shoot.

Thanks guys for all the perspectives and advice.
get for her the Q with 01, great performer ( I love it and it is addictive ) and K-01 ( just received black one with 40 XS, was surprised how solid and heavy it was, on all photos it looks very plasticky and light) for yourself, very interesting and capable camera
kind regards
jack