Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 as backup body / for video

Hi All,

I'm wondering (due to the price drops) about picking up a K-01 body for a backup, and perhaps for video capability. I currently have a K30. I have a few questions

- Is the autofocus likely to drive me up the wall do you think? (I'll be upgrading my K-30 to the latest firmware tonight, to test on this, as I believe the updates provide for similar CDAF performance)

- Is the extra video functionality (stereo mics, mic input, exposure adjustments during shooting) particularly useful?)

- Does anyone else have any thoughts on moving between this body type (no viewfinder) and a more traditional body, which I'm likely to find annoying/interesting?

Cheers!

PS if anyone wanted to comment on likely resale values that'd be useful as well - incase I don't get enough use/get on with it.

12-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It all depends on your tolerance for "different". I have both, and under the skin, the K-01 really is a chopped-down K-30. That might be an asset or fault, depending on how annoying you find it when something isn't eactly the same. The autofocus might be a hair quicker than an updated K-30 in LiveView. The lack of a viewfinder and blocky shape have led me to shoot much more one-handed with the K-01, which I found refreshing and fun. I don't even use a hand strap - just a wrist lanyard from a point-n-shoot. When I switch back to the K-30, I find myself using LiveView more than I did before the K-01 came along. In my opinion, the K-01 is much more comfortable with smaller lenses. If I want to use a big zoom, I'd go with the K-30. I don't mess with video much, so I can't comment there. Experimenting with LiveView on the K-30 sounds like a good way to find out if you can stand it.

As to resale value, the K-01 is selling for less -new- than a used K-x. Short-term, you would have to compete with new K-01s at fire-sale prices. Once they are all gone, I don't really see the value climbing as a collectable.
12-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is a personal choice issue. If it was me (I have the K-01, not the K30), I would stick with only one because the basic photo and video quality are equal. The K30 has more going for it overall, of course.

The stereo mic input is nice, but if you are seeking out superb sound quality and especially good signal-to-noise, you will have to record discretely (separately) anyways because AGC is aggressive in the quiet passages and cannot be altered.

The main arguments for the K-01 is size (yes, it really is quite small and can fit very nicely in some of the larger P&S cases), and a much better battery which is especially helpful when shooting video. I use a 3x loupe on occasion, and it works well for more precise MF, and in bright conditions. So loss of a viewfinder isn't a huge factor.

My guess is that if the K-01 goes away soon, and absolutely no other mirrorless camera comes out with a conventional PK mount, the camera will gain a cult status because you have access to great, cheap used optics with a superb sensor in a relatively small package. With nothing else like it - the value will increase but perhaps only marginally.

Even my K20D increased in value by $100 used more than what I paid new - and very little about that camera was unique (other than very slightly better image quality than the model that replaced it). That said, the K7 was still a better camera overall (and priced accordingly).
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bought one - couldn't resist a backup body for £220!

12-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Banned

enjoy it.
12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will do - trying it out in low light already - dont know what everyone is on about with the AF - with the latest firmware admittedly I think it's fine, and within 20% of PDAF on my K30. Admittedly that's an unscientific test!
12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I pretended that was the reason to buy a K-01, to back up my K-5. Don't tell my K-5 though, it probably feels like it's the other way round! The real reason though is that any excuse to spend $300-ish for the sweet-16 sensor in any kind of body is a good idea - the K-5, K-30 and K-01 do similar things but definitely in different ways. I did not expect the K-01 arrangement to be any good for me... I must admit I was wrong.

I have now shot two 10-second videos and an interval video, so that's still not a real priority and not a good enough excuse for me to own my white camera - but for now it'll do as a flimsy excuse.

01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #8

i have both the k-5 and k-01 and i also have to admit i love the k-01 i have a 50mm 1.2 and it works amazing with it my mom is dying of cancer and i have been doing a lot of video of her as well as photos and the combination of using 28mm 2.8 and my 50 has been amazing plus the focus peaking is super helpful i wish the k-5 would also come with focus peaking hopefully one day there will be an update to the firmware to give the k-5 that option. and the photography its like i am shooting with the k-5 just a little slower my friend has a t2i and i must say it blows some dslrs out of the water. i am planning on getting a second k-01 to do mulitipule angle videos so i say look up stuff on youtube and be blown away with the k-01