Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K01 External Flash?

All,

CBA struck when the K01 price dropped recently and I picked up a "screaming yellow" brick. I already owned the DA40 and the DA15, and I recently added the DA21, so I am pretty well set on lenses for the moment, although I might add the DA70 at some point.

I own the AF540 Pentax flash, which works fine with the K01, but it is far too large for the camera. I bought the K01 to toss in my messenger bag so that I have a camera with me at all times, but I would like to have a small flash to toss in as well.

The Pentax AF200 flash does not swivel or bounce, which I use a lot when I use flash, so it is out. I tried the Vivitar DF183, which is small and does have bounce (no swivel) but it does not work properly on the K01. There are many different brands of this same flash, including Metz, but other than maybe Metz, I do not trust any of the other brands to work right on the K01.

I would consider a plain auto flash if I cannot find PTTL (which IMO isn't better than auto in most cases anyway) if I can find a small bounce/swivel unit. I have several Nikon SB units that work fine in auto on my Pentax gear. I just remove all of the extra pins and leave only the center pin for trigger.

So, what external flash seems to be the best choice for the K01?

Ray

12-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might look at the Metz 24 models. One is TTL the other is a plain old manual flash. They are small enough to not look ridiculous on top of a Q so they ought to be good on the K-01. I don't know of a small one that is P-TTL that is bounce swivel but perhaps we can both learn about one when someone else posts about it.

Metz mecablitz 24 AF-1 4/3rds TTL Digital Flash Unit MZ24312OPL
12-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I noticed a very small and very inexpensive PTTL flash for my K-01 and Q. It has not arrived yet so I cant say much more but it does have bounce.
Bolt VS-260 Mini On-Camera Flash For Pentax/Samsung TTL VS-260P
12-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I noticed a very small and very inexpensive PTTL flash for my K-01 and Q. It has not arrived yet so I cant say much more but it does have bounce.
Please let us know what you think when it arrives, that looks like a good set of specs but that is't the whole story with add-ons. Nice find, it looks a wee bit smaller than the Metz 24s.

12-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Forum Member

You may want to look at the Metz 36 AF-5, this is the P-TTL version. They also have a non-dedicated version with auto modes and manual settings. This flash has a bounce head and looks to be a little larger then the Metz 24 but not by much.

Rick
12-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is the flash setup for my K-01. A Metz 20 C-2 auto flash. Cheap and cheerful. I like it.

The flash cannot swivel but it can tilt just fine. Done some practice shots as well and I am happy with the flash exposure and accuracy. For $50, I cannot fault this.

Name:  IMG_0515.JPG
Views: 1852
Size:  46.0 KB

Last edited by raider; 12-23-2012 at 12:43 AM.
12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have any problems using my Sigma 610 on my K01... it doesn't seem too big for the camera. But then, I usually have my Tamron 28-75 mounted.

Now, it IS waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for the Q.. will have to do something about that eventually.

Charles
12-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
As best I can tell, the Bolt, Metz 24, Vivitar DF183, Tumax and several others are all the same flash with very minor differences. The Vivitar did not work for me, and the Metz seems kind of expensive for what is clearly the same flash sold by others for $50 or less.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and I am looking forward to your report on how well the Bolt works on the K01.

Ray

12-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
As best I can tell, the Bolt, Metz 24, Vivitar DF183, Tumax and several others are all the same flash with very minor differences. The Vivitar did not work for me, and the Metz seems kind of expensive for what is clearly the same flash sold by others for $50 or less.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and I am looking forward to your report on how well the Bolt works on the K01.

Ray
Ray,
According to Metz its not the same as the Tumax.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/137784-...-dsl283af.html
12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #10

"Metz also offers the 24 AF-1 and 36 AF-5 (and previously the 36 AF-4). These flashes are made for Metz by Icorp/Tumax in China, but contain a Metz-developed firmware: Metz says they are "equipped with a special electronic technology which has been developed by Metz in Germany". These flashes basically correspond to the DSL28 Series and DSL88 Series Tumax flashes, respectively. (Currently these models are represented separately throughout this guide, but in a future update I plan to combine them.)

The Metz-branded versions of these flashes tend to be more expensive than shell-company brands like Vivitar (which is now just a name, unrelated to the original company). In exchange for that, you get Metz's support channels and whatever advantages their firmware offers; this may not be a bad deal at all.

The higher-end flashes, from the 44 AF-1 up, are made by Metz in Germany."

from the pentax flash guide:
The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison
12-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Opteka EF-750 works OK

I wanted to see if the K-01 pttl flash control was decent enough, having preferred the simplicity and consistency of auto-thyrister in the past. This unit (Opteka) is very similar in output and construction to the Metz 24; pretty good for such a low price.

So I went with a really cheap unit available from Newegg ($30), and a $15 Vivitar cord (very good quality) from BH to compensate for no swivel. Pentax has a long ways to go in flash control, at least compared to Canon. The set up is functional, but not very consistent. I can do far, far better with the old, true TTL provided on the *istD. The problem is on the Pentax end of it; flash often does not get shut off soon enough, and you need to dial in compensation to lower output - usually 2 stops. It actually works better in bounce mode most of the time (or with a deflector which is what I prefer to use). I use a Metz 58 for the Canon, but won't spend that much for dedicated Pentax until pttl gets more polished and consistent. While the K-01/K30 processor is a step up from previous pttl implementation (the K20D in particular), it hasn't come as far I would have expected.
08-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #12

thanks, jim, i just ordered the same opteka. i'll do some tests outdoors and share results once it arrives.
08-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I've had a Sunpak PF20XD for a while now. It's an auto thyristor, compact, and very easy to use. It has 5 levels of manual output, which work very well for outdoor fill flash. Takes 2 AAA batteries and they seem to last forever Does not bounce, but the built-in diffuser does help.