Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #16

I like the skins. I just got a k-01 and I knew it reminded me of something retro, but it took me a while to figure it out.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX5  Photo 
12-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Send this to Pentax, have the K-02 look like that! Add a tilt screen and EVF and people will love it!
Well, that and maybe new AF, sensor, of course, as technology keeps evolving. A metallic finish with leather would be great.

Edit: Even the yellow 'leather' looks great!
Weather sealing added to the tilt screen & removable EVF (maybe mounted in Hot Shoe) and you'll have me buying the K-02
and that's something since the K-01 was a 5.5K investment in my currency (after shipping & customs)

As for the leather...well, meh but i'm quite the practical type of guy, like REALLY practical so don't take my opinion on aesthetics
07-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lucas Quote
I like the skins. I just got a k-01 and I knew it reminded me of something retro, but it took me a while to figure it out.
Probably this:
07-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
You can buy an after-market leather skin for the SONY RX-100 for $16
Purchased the brown crocodile from Aki Asahi - they threw in a Salmon Pink set for free - same price as you mention. Have yet to try the pink :0

07-19-2013, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 is a pretty genuine camera. It's not pretending it's something that it's not. The rubber grips looks like rubber and all the silver bits that look like metal are metal. It's not like nearly all the other rubber-gripped cameras out there with faux-leather texture. They're not fooling anybody. We all know it's rubber. The K-01's genuineness is actually one of my favorite attributes of it's design.
07-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

That 'metal' isn't, it's a coating on plastic.

And I'd buy the top version of the leather grip too.
07-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
That 'metal' isn't, it's a coating on plastic.
From the K-01 press release:

"PENTAX K-01 FACT SHEET

Marc Newson commissioned design
PENTAX commissioned designer Marc Newson to develop the contemporary, timeless design of the PENTAX K-01’s body. Newson’s retro-meets-contemporary design is evident in all elements of the
K-01 including the product logo, camera strap (included) and start-up screen that appears when the K-01 is powered on. Buttons, shutter release and control levers are purposefully placed and accented with colors for instant recognition including a vibrant red button for Video Recording and a brilliant green for the PENTAX Green button. The mode dial and power switch are made of high-quality aluminum alloy, while the memory card slot and grip connectors are covered with protective rubber. The design optimizes both form and function on a camera that is as suitable on a photo shoot as it is in a museum display that honors design as art. "

PENTAX - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION INTRODUCES PENTAX K-01 DESIGNED BY MARC NEWSON

The rear dial, flash housing, and strap anchor points are all aluminum as well. Basically everything that is silver and looks like metal on the yellow and black models is metal.