Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
AF Select mode. Am I missing something?

Just got a K-01 as an early Xmas present (already own a K-5)

It's pretty neat, but had a quick question

For AF on my K-5 I use the "SEL" function and pick which of the 11 points I wanna focus on pretty much exclusively

Does the "AF Select" mode work like this on the K-01? I do what instruction manual states but it focuses on on the AF'd area, not displaying a screen like it shows. Am I missing something? I have it set on AF Select. Do I have something turned on/off I should/shouldn't? I've been playing with it all day and can't seem to move the auto focus box around (or even get to the screen)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

12-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
Just got a K-01 as an early Xmas present (already own a K-5)

It's pretty neat, but had a quick question

For AF on my K-5 I use the "SEL" function and pick which of the 11 points I wanna focus on pretty much exclusively

Does the "AF Select" mode work like this on the K-01? I do what instruction manual states but it focuses on on the AF'd area, not displaying a screen like it shows. Am I missing something? I have it set on AF Select. Do I have something turned on/off I should/shouldn't? I've been playing with it all day and can't seem to move the auto focus box around (or even get to the screen)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
You can, but it works a bit differently. What you do is you select the size of the AF area, and then move it around within the center of the frame. So if you have a 5x5 AF area, you can't move it at all, but if you dial it down to 4x4 you would be able to.

Here's a screenshot of how to access select mode:
Pentax K-01 Camera Review - Autofocus Performance - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be sure you have the AF/MF switch near the lens turned to AF. Now you have a square on the screen. When you AF it will try to find the most contrasty zone in that square. Hit the OK button, now you can spin the silver radial button to make the square bigger or smaller (I prefer it smaller to avoid the camera choosing to focus on more contrasty things instead of the subject I want). Once it is smaller you can move it around using the 4 buttons to the right of the screen. You effectively have more possible AF points than the K-5, but it can take longer to move the square to a precise point. If you are using a fast lens you should also turn on Focus Peaking in the menu, so you can see what exactly is in focus.
And when you have the camera set to MF mode, hitting the OK button will "zoom in" and expand the area where you are trying to focus, so you can use peaking more precisely.
12-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
D'oh, figured out my issue. The manual was telling me to push the MENU or Shutter release button halfway after selecting the AF Select. I thought this meant while composing! But it was just to get out of the menu screens!! I was pushing and holding the shutter release halfway then hitting OK and going to the AF Zoom instead of hitting OK before hand :P

Thanks guys!