Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #1

Q as a sidekick to the k-01?

Recently picked up a k-01. Love it! Thinking of adding a Q but I've gone back and forth a few times between it and a nikon v1. I know a few k-01'ers have a Q too, and am curious if you find the Q adds something unique or worthwhile to your kit.

12-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amaroq Quote
Recently picked up a k-01. Love it! Thinking of adding a Q but I've gone back and forth a few times between it and a nikon v1. I know a few k-01'ers have a Q too, and am curious if you find the Q adds something unique or worthwhile to your kit.
The K-01 has image quality, the Q has small size, and the V1 has features. Depends on what you need! I had the K-01 and I now own the Q (probably won't be using it, but it's good to have around), and I'd say it's like comparing apples to oranges One is a point-and-shoot that you can take just about anywhere, and the other one most definitely is not, but it'll get you better images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

I recently got a K-01 and I then got a Q as a side kick. Hope it works out. My idea is that because of the crop factor of +5.5x I will be able to give my K lenses some more range with the Q for a perspective that I am not able to get with the K-01. If it doesn't work out I'll probably sell the Q on ebay. I am very happy with the K-01 so far.

I took this photo with my K-01 with the K-01 40nm xs lens that comes with it.

I am going to take the same photo with the Q and the same lens at the same distance and lighting that I did with the Q. I will post the Q results soon.
12-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

Here are the side kick shots on the Q with the same 40mm XS lens that I used on the K-01.

The HDR doesn't seem to work as well as it does on the K-01. Looks a little dark. Same location and lighting as with the K-01.

Here is the extra range that has improved by putting the 40mm lense on the Q.

Same lighting but with the HDR mode off.

Last edited by SonDa5; 12-25-2012 at 05:59 AM.
12-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I've had both for about 24 hrs now so I haven't got a lot to add. But one thing I LOVE about the combo is that the menu and button placements are very similar. If you're used to your K-01 and you grab the Q for a quick trip almost all of your "muscle memory" will work.

Also, as I've played with them both for the last 24 hours I find myself picking up the Q more. I think it will become my everyday carry camera, the K-01 will be used tripod mounted, and my K10D will still be used quite a bit off tripod.

As for something unique or worthwhile, how about turning a $50 300mm ebay lens into a 1650mm (effective) f4 lens?
Attached Images

Last edited by post_eos; 12-25-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Add 300mm info.
12-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I often walk around with both the K-01 and the Q. Love them both but in very different ways. I expect a lot from the K-01 and more often than not I am not disappointed but the Q on the other hand is kind of my experimental buddy that I can go crazy with. The Q is the most fun camera I've ever owned and my sense of attachment for it is exceedingly high. The K-01 brings the big guns when I need them but I don't always need them...

In the end I am very happy to own both and I don't regret my purchases in the least.
12-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
What kind of photographer are you? I don't own a Nikon V1, but from what I've read it has definite strengths that far exceed the Q, which may be of interest to you depending what sort of pictures you take. It excels at high speed photography. On the other hand, I've read that access to manual controls is discouraged by the control and menu setup. In that way it seems to be a very souped up point and shoot -- change the picture mode dial and let the camera decide. As others have pointed out, the Q handles much like a miniaturized Pentax DSLR.

Another consideration, what kind of lenses does the Nikon have vs the Q? To me, the fisheye lens is terrific, despite being designated as a toy lens. How important is size for you? The Q is very small.

If you end up getting more lenses for your K-01, then, as post_eos points out, the crop engine/magnification of the small sensor could take you interesting places with an adapter for the Q, if you don't mind manual focus.