Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #31

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Not Working for me!

Inspired by this thread I decided to set up remote using Sony rm-vz320 remote control.
Set up the code in the remote control per instructions - scanned codes until camera took a shot in IR.
That worked.

Set k-01 menu to open or close shutter on each shutter press and set camera to IR mode and turned knob to bulb.
Well it worked half away - shutter opens when remote power is pressed, but will not close on second press.

It does work as advertised in other modes - if I press on shutter button manually, and aslo remote works in non-bulb mode.
I wonder if it's the remote or something is not set up right.
I have latest firmware.

BTW, if I keep pressing on remote power button shutter stays down! Also I can confirm that TV remotes do work pretty long distances.

Anyone experiencing this?

Last edited by SergioFromSF; 02-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
02-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #32
Inactive Account

The one thing I don't like about only having the IR remote for triggering the shutter is that i can't use my custom flash bracket's wired shutter trigger. I added a wired shutter trigger to a flash bracket for my *ist DS and really love it because I only needed one hand to both hold the bracket and trigger the shutter.. The only workaround I see is to switch the flash around on the bracket so I can use my right hand to operate the shutter normally but that will take 2 hands - one to hold the bracket and one to trigger the shutter.

In the 'el fresco grande', that's not a deal breaker for me - the K-01 is still a great camera.
02-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #33

Original Poster
You know what? This just occurred to me when seeing the old-school wired shutter release

Is there anyone who's DIY capable to make a mechanical wired shutter release that fits on the camera's grip and pushes the shutter release button

like a bicycle brake!

Who here can do a prototype of that?!
02-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Maybe we need some type of hydraulics, like maybe a tube and a squeezer for moving air. Oh wait, that would be a bulb which is what photography started with.

02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
Pentaxian

You could get (or make) a device to turn the IR remote into a wired remote, more-or-less, or at least allow it from different angles instead of just the front.
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
Maybe we need some type of hydraulics, like maybe a tube and a squeezer for moving air. Oh wait, that would be a bulb which is what photography started with.
Not really; I mean the bicycle brake squeeze mechanism would work fine for bulb mode

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You could get (or make) a device to turn the IR remote into a wired remote, more-or-less, or at least allow it from different angles instead of just the front.
Check out earlier posts in the thread, dude they already did
02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
Check out earlier posts in the thread, dude they already did
I knew I saw that somewhere. So yeah, you can do that or something like it...

02-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Not really; I mean the bicycle brake squeeze mechanism would work fine for bulb mode
I work on bicycles a lot and could whip one of those up in no time. All you would need to do is to drill and mill a hole in the side of the camera in which the caliper bolt could pivot and then carry around 4-5 feet of brake cable and housing tube and a brake lever connected to a broomstick handle. I am sure it would be very easy to set up and very portable.

There is always this guy for $4 on fleebay IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K R K x K 01 K 5 K 7 K10D K20D K100D K200D | eBay

02-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I work on bicycles a lot and could whip one of those up in no time. All you would need to do is to drill and mill a hole in the side of the camera in which the caliper bolt could pivot and then carry around 4-5 feet of brake cable and housing tube and a brake lever connected to a broomstick handle. I am sure it would be very easy to set up and very portable.
That would be pretty cool, actually...
02-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote

There is always this guy for $4 on fleebay IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K R K x K 01 K 5 K 7 K10D K20D K100D K200D | eBay
Not really, I imagined sth different:
Basically 2 mechanisms; one that is fixed for attaching to camera, another moving for pressing the button
Imagine a table clamp like this and attached to it (adjustable) arm that moves via brake cable to press the button

The best part is that the design of a K-01 makes attaching a table-clamp-like fixture easy

What do you think? no drilling or body modification involved
02-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #41
Inactive Account

For a quick fix in the *ist DS days, we used to put a piece of folded sticky note over the IR sensor so that it would bounce the IR signal back into the sensor from different angles. Worked pretty good from the side and slightly back.
02-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Not really; I mean the bicycle brake squeeze mechanism would work fine for bulb mode.
Hopefully you understood my joke - the old timers used to use a bulb and an air tube/plunger to remotely trigger the shutter - that's where the term 'bulb' comes from.

RG
05-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #43

I would like to try the world of time lapse night photography, and couldn't find the sortof remote that I'd like for a pentax, for example for fire dancing I'd like to try a dozen quick images to stack and then a last one with a flash over a 10 second period, or 24 hr time lapse involving a flash when it gets dark. Anyhow, the remotes available for Pentax don't seem to be that advanced, and the third party ones aren't for Pentax. soooo one thought was, a trick to patch the pentax code onto something like this?

Promote Control - an advanced remote control for Canon and Nikon digital SLR cameras

I've read the mp3 player to trigger, and the phone app, but really isn't there something..... better?

Ian
05-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@SergioFromSF -- how is your Sony rm-vz320 remote working? Can you trigger the K-01 from a good distance away?

Also, if you remember, could you post the Sony scan code that worked for you? If not, does the instruction book that comes with the remote give you a list of ones to try?

Thanks, Jon

Last edited by jon404; 05-31-2013 at 11:28 PM.