Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #1

(share yours) K-01 Remote Shutter Release solutions

Alright, after a day looking up remote shutter releases for pentax & digging through BS reviews I've decided to take to the community!

There just HAS to be a GOOD solution for remote shutter releases for this beautiful brick, utilizing bulb mode!

I don't care if its a firmware mod so that the ext. mic jack can be used for trigger cable,...etc

JUST GIMME SOMETHING, GODDAMN IT ! >_<

So...yea, please share your experience with remote shutter release on the K-01

12-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what you are asking for here? The K-01 will remote fire with the standard Pentax IR remote, the red oval in the grip is the receiver.
12-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

I think he means: mount camera on tripod at midnight overlooking cityscape with freeway in foreground. Set camera to B (bulb). Use remote to initiate an exposure in excess of 1 minute. This is not available in Bulb mode. You apparently cannot trigger the shutter release with a remote at this time. I was hoping it would be enabled in a firmware update. I for one would welcome being able to release the shutter in bulb mode. I thought that was the entire point of bulb mode -- to keep the shutter open without disturbing the camera.
12-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bulb mode can be set to work like T mode (in some film cameras), i.e. shutter opens with one activation and stays open until the next activation. You just use the IR remote and set the drive mode accordingly (instant or 3 sec delay). It works as expected. Hope this helps!

12-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Forum Member

Also, I am very new to the k-o1 and cannot offer any assistance on how to work around this other than setting the camera to a 2 second (or more) delay and setting the bulb mode to open with a shutter button press and close with a shutter button press. Whether or not the 2 second delay will work on the second ( arguably the most crucial) shutter press is up in the air. I haven't tried it, so I cannot say if it will work -- since the exposure is still in progress when you hit the shutter a second time, there is a pretty good change you are going to get camera movement regardless. You know, nevermind -- this probably is no work-around at all?

I did see a thing about a program called PK thether, though. I have not tried it and I believe it requires you to have the camera connected to a computer in one way or another. If you dont mind carrying an iPad or netbook with you, this may be an option. I am eager to see other peoples solutions to this as well.
12-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
Also, I am very new to the k-o1 and cannot offer any assistance on how to work around this other than setting the camera to a 2 second (or more) delay and setting the bulb mode to open with a shutter button press and close with a shutter button press. Whether or not the 2 second delay will work on the second ( arguably the most crucial) shutter press is up in the air. I haven't tried it, so I cannot say if it will work -- since the exposure is still in progress when you hit the shutter a second time, there is a pretty good change you are going to get camera movement regardless. You know, nevermind -- this probably is no work-around at all?

I did see a thing about a program called PK thether, though. I have not tried it and I believe it requires you to have the camera connected to a computer in one way or another. If you dont mind carrying an iPad or netbook with you, this may be an option. I am eager to see other peoples solutions to this as well.
that's PK tether, not thether. sorry!
12-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Bulb mode can be set to work like T mode (in some film cameras), i.e. shutter opens with one activation and stays open until the next activation. You just use the IR remote and set the drive mode accordingly (instant or 3 sec delay). It works as expected. Hope this helps!
please elaborate. i am fairly new, and have been racking my brain on this issue. Are you saying that you:
1. Press the shutter manually with your finger. This opens the shutter and keeps it open.
2. when you want to end the exposure/close the shutter again --which would normally require another manual press of the shutter button-- that it is possible to execute the second press with an IR remote, thereby eliminating the potential of camera movement?

That's awesome! Thanks!
12-25-2012, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Bulb mode will work with IR remote -- just tried it.

12-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

please elaborate. i am fairly new, and have been racking my brain on this issue. Are you saying that you:
1. Press the shutter manually with your finger. This opens the shutter and keeps it open.
2. when you want to end the exposure/close the shutter again --which would normally require another manual press of the shutter button-- that it is possible to execute the second press with an IR remote, thereby eliminating the potential of camera movement?

That's awesome! Thanks!
Yes, you just set drive mode to remote, and you set the menu option for bulb mode so that one press starts exposure, and second press stops it. Then you use the remote like the shutter button and never have to touch the camera. But since it only has one IR receiver in the front, you have to make sure you don't get in the way when triggering. The K-01 doesn't allow a wired remote, which is disappointing cause then you could use a radio trigger and be in any position and much farther away. Are there any IR remotes that can be triggered via radio?
12-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yes, you just set drive mode to remote, and you set the menu option for bulb mode so that one press starts exposure, and second press stops it. Then you use the remote like the shutter button and never have to touch the camera. But since it only has one IR receiver in the front, you have to make sure you don't get in the way when triggering. The K-01 doesn't allow a wired remote, which is disappointing cause then you could use a radio trigger and be in any position and much farther away. Are there any IR remotes that can be triggered via radio?
okay -- which remote are you using? I haven't got one myself but I love night photography and this was a major reason for wanting to get the k-o1. Also, do you have the FW 1.01 update installed?
12-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

okay -- which remote are you using? I haven't got one myself but I love night photography and this was a major reason for wanting to get the k-o1. Also, do you have the FW 1.01 update installed?
Yes on the firmware. Remote is cheapo JJC:

Amazon.com: IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo
12-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For moderately longer ranges, I use a Universal TV Remote programmed for the right code (a Sony code, I think, don't remember which). It has a LOT more power than the cheap little camera remotes. I can aim it at a subject across the room from behind the camera and enough signal will bounce back to fire the camera.

If you are handy, you probably could mod one of the cheap little remotes to work with a radio receiver - there's a DIY somewhere here on PF for turning one into a wired remote.
12-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
Forum Member

I have updated the FW 1.01, easy and quick by Adam's instruction, and AF is faster for sure now. For the IR remote, I am getting the "JJC RM-E4" IR remote, and it's battery swappable. Both Pentax IR remote are disposal type.

JJC Card Style Compact IR Remote for Pentax/Canon/Nikon Cameras (E4) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

It took me less than 20 seconds to get the FW updated.

Pentax K-01 Firmware v1.01 Released - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
12-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys:

I guess what i was asking about was the different types of shutter releases (Cable, radio, IR...etc) that could be used on the K-01 whether by standard or by modifying (and how to modify it) just to make my portrait sessions easier & to do some tricks that'll require bulb mode (instead of long timed exposure)

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
For moderately longer ranges, I use a Universal TV Remote programmed for the right code (a Sony code, I think, don't remember which). It has a LOT more power than the cheap little camera remotes. I can aim it at a subject across the room from behind the camera and enough signal will bounce back to fire the camera.

If you are handy, you probably could mod one of the cheap little remotes to work with a radio receiver - there's a DIY somewhere here on PF for turning one into a wired remote.
That sounds like a really good idea THoog, please let us know the details!
12-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #15

Original Poster
Also, i heard somewhere (for another camera, Canon i think) that you can install a modded Firmware that would make the cable shutter release work via the external mic plug, is that possible in the K-01 or is it too dangerous (e.g: corrupt the Firmware) ?