Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Shutter pressed with thumb!?! Wow, that sounds clumsy! Wonder how that is in practice....
Quite the opposite. Show me any game controller which uses the index finger instead of the thumbs for accuracy and speed and stability. The thumb can operate far more independently than any finger and so keep the whole hand more stable as it moves.

I can only think the index finger is used mainly just to tap repetitively as per an Asteroids arcade game button, or to operate a trigger on the front of a joystick in which case the hand and arm are pointed in the direction you are aiming (ie forward) for mor eaccuracy and stability as per a gun rather than at right angles anyway as per a camera.

People complain they can't hold a camera steady at arms length and they will always be absolutely right because they hold it like like they would up against their face. As opposed to holding any camera, however heavy, at arm's length with thumbs up like you are firing a Gatling gun and press the shutter with your right thumb.

Thumbs up is even more stable for video. Shoot with a camera up against your eye while you're walking versus holding the camera out with both hands thumbs-up out in front of you and the latter video will be more stable.

02-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #17

Sounds like a video would be useful in showing one method over the other in the use of green button. I myself find the placement awkward and every time I press the GB, camera shakes and gets out of position and I feel I have to refocus. I am sure I need more practice, but if this camera was designed to be user friendly..
If the intention of the GB was to use it with manual lenses, then GB should have been placed in easy to reach location -that designer Mark, I wonder if he ever tried GB with M lenses.
02-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
How in the world does that work?

02-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote

Also note one advantage to shooting with the thumb is that it allows all four fingers and the palm to compress to steady the camera. Furthermore, it has somewhat an advantage to reduce camera shake. When you articulate your index finger, your body's natural reaction is to compress your other fingers....think of shooting a gun and "squeezing". This can causes the camera to rotate unless you are holding it very steady and are conscious of the effect. On the other hand, your thumb is able to articulate independently of your fingers

02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

~ just grab it with both hands and beat it against your forehead .. lol

02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #21

Thanks tmb, I'll try that hold.
02-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

It is ok for hitting the shutter, but only for hitting the shutter. I can't really use the wheel, or the buttons (certainly not the rear buttons). Normally I can have my finger on the trigger and also operating other buttons with my thumb. Of course, the buttons aren't really in the right place for that either, as noted. No really good solution exists for handheld shooting if you need to be using the buttons much...
02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it easiest to use the thumb to access any of the buttons (Red, +-, Green), which requires the least amount of grip modifiation. I still use the right index finger for the shutter with my left palm providing a firm resting surface for the body. The thumb grip thing for actuating the shutter doesn't do it for me; I find it difficult to maintain a firm position with my elbow tight against my rib cage holding the camera that way; I find that when I use that grip, I have to extend my arms outward, shifting the center of gravity away from the body. This said, to say that their position is a major impediment to their operation is perhaps a bit over stated. They're not "ideal" perhaps, but certainly quite reacheable still in a way that does not overly negatively affect operation.

Last edited by regor; 02-20-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: clarification and emplification