Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 and Green Button Placement

I've seen some reviews that the Green button is extremely difficult to use because of its far spacing from the shutter release. I'm wondering what the experience here is of K-01 users who make use of the Green button. If you were to use it a lot, would it just be too inconvenient?

Thanks

12-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The placement is definitely annoying, but you'll get used to it. It's not as convenient as on Pentax DSLRs, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Most people who use that button a lot adapt their grip - they don't hold the camera as a DSLR. They hold it so the shutter is pressed with the thumb.
I have the K-01 and sometimes use it with manual lenses, but hardly ever use the green button, just don't find that much need for it (even though I use the green button more on my DSLRs). I wouldn't worry about it much, you get used to it quickly.
12-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is extremely lame. Horribly placed. However, probably not enough reason to not buy it, since it has been so dirt cheap of late.

12-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Most people who use that button a lot adapt their grip - they don't hold the camera as a DSLR. They hold it so the shutter is pressed with the thumb.
How in the world does that work?
12-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The placement is definitely annoying, but you'll get used to it. It's not as convenient as on Pentax DSLRs, though.
Which one? The one where the green button is on top of the camera, to the left of the shutter button? Or the one where the green button is on the back? Or the one where the green button is on the top of the camera, to the right of the shutter button?

Is there one where the green button is on the bottom of the camera yet?
12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shutter pressed with thumb!?! Wow, that sounds clumsy! Wonder how that is in practice....

12-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

"Oh no, first it looks different from my preconceived notions of a pro camera, and now it demands i hold it differently from my preconceived notions of how pros hold a camera! Woe is me!"
12-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like so:

How to hold the K-01 #4: Gangsta style | Flickr

I usually have three fingers on the grip and my pinky under the body, but you get the idea.

But seriously, I've shot for hours with M42 and M lenses and the green button was not that big of an issue. If you expect it to be the exactly same as your dSLR, you may have problems, but since I have a mix of old/new Pentaxes and am used to having to press the AF/AL button with my thumb to meter on the istDS and K100D, the "differentness" of the K-01 doesn't bother me.
12-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking different is fine, but if it's awkward to use, that's another story. Hopefully it's a relatively easy adjustment.
12-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I can hold it that way I guess, but it makes getting to the green button no easier -- pretty much impossible actually (with the right hand, anyway). Can't use the e-dial or the EV or the red button either...
12-26-2012, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

I have fairly small hands. I use a selection of manual lenses.

I find no difficulty in using the green button. I might if I were to hold the camera with one hand, but I've always used a SLR/DSLR suized camera with both hands.

With my left hand supporting the camera, I see no problem moving my index finger to depress the green button.

I've just analysed what I do with a manual lens and it's this:

1. Switch camera on or re-activate it using the shutter/on/off button with index finger. Can be done one handed but more comfortable using left hand to supprt camera.
2. Manually focus using left hand thumb and middle finger.
3. Set Aperture using left hand thumb and middle finger.
4. Set ISO or other settings on back of camera using right hand thumb.
5. Support camera with left hand and depress green button with right hand index finger.
6. Hold camera steady with both hands and depress shutter with right hand index finger.

This feels completely natural to me. I don't see a problem.

Neil
12-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, my fingers are pressing the body against the base of my thumb, so I can reach Red/Green/Thumbwheel with my thumb no problem, or I can switch to more traditional grip with my index finger on the shutter and reach the green button with my thumb. Either way, my hands are big enough that I can do it all one-handed (I use a 'lanyard' wrist strap from a P&S, just in case). Since I will probably be using both hands when manually focusing, it's even easier.
12-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #14

It seems easy to use index finger of left hand; but I am a newbie, and what do you usually allocate to the green button?
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm another newbie -- ditto to Jane's post above about what do you allocate to the green button?

Also, to Neil Mac G above -- I'm buying a Pentax A 28 f/2.8 lens... is there any setting I should put on the green button to make manual-lens life easier?