Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Newbie with some potentially dumb questions

Hi all!
I got the k-01 for Christmas and am slowly figuring it out. It's my first DSLR, although not my first Pentax (used to my K1000!). I'm using manual lenses and I just love the camera so far. The one thing I'm having trouble with is what I guess is shutter speed? (sorry I'm pretty bad at digital setting-speak, like I said I'm used to my old k1000.) I have two active little boys and a dog I'd love to photograph but I'm finding that unless they're perfectly still (and how often does that happen...) they end up all blurry. I have face detection and shake reduction on but am still having trouble. Maybe there's a good setting for these purposes that I'm missing? I thought setting it to TV meant it was on shutter priority but the screen still says AV and I can't notice a difference.

Also every time I turn on the camera it wants me to "input focal length" and I'm not sure what to choose...35? 40?

Thanks for any help, I know this is the place to come for advice!

12-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What lens do you have on?

If it's asking you for focal length it's either an old lens, or a new lens with dirty contacts, or not quite on properly - this means the lens can't 'talk' to the camera to tell it what focal legth it is, and it also means it can't calculate exposure properly because it doesn't know what aperture the lens is at.

Try taking the lens off and putting it on again until it clicks, if it's the kit lens. You should then get all the modes.
12-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

The only dumb question is the one unasked - it's a friendly group here so fire away with all your questions.

What lens are you using, and what is your ISO? Post a pic with EXIF intact, and the guru's here will have you set before the day is through. It sounds as though you are using a lens from your K1000 - If so, my experience with Kr (similar menu and functionality as your K01) Tv and Av will not work, you need to shoot in M mode, and use the green button to "stop down" for exposure measurement. Because the older lenses do not communicate with the body, the K01 does not know what the FL is, and it uses the input value you select for SR functions. If you are shooting on a tripod it doesn't matter, because you should have SR turned off, but it is still handy to input as it automatically populates the FL field in the EXIF data.

That being said settings for moving kids will need ~ 1/200th, and probably F5.6 ISO 3200 for indoors... My guys are pretty fast too. If you stop down too much, or stick to "safe" ISO values you will get blur because you will be shooting in 1/30 - 1/120 range.

Have fun
12-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
What lens do you have on?

If it's asking you for focal length it's either an old lens, or a new lens with dirty contacts, or not quite on properly - this means the lens can't 'talk' to the camera to tell it what focal legth it is, and it also means it can't calculate exposure properly because it doesn't know what aperture the lens is at.

Try taking the lens off and putting it on again until it clicks, if it's the kit lens. You should then get all the modes.

It's definitely an old lens on there now, I guess that must be it. Hmm.

12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Okay here are a couple of pictures, of my lens and current settings (if you can see...)

Using the green button does help, I'm noticing. But I feel really stupid because I can't figure out how to change 1/20 to 1/200.....
12-29-2012, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can change the shutter speed if you select M mode. (In order to do this you need to set 'Using Aperture Ring' to 'Permitted' and 'Green Button in Manual Mode' to 'Tv Shift'). Getting a correctly exposed shot will be a matter of trial and error or experience.

However, the green button can be used to calculate the correct shutter speed using 'stop down metering'. When you press the green button, the camera will briefly stop the lens down, meter, and select the appropriate shutter speed. If the speed is too low, you can increase the ISO or aperture, and try again.

Alternatively if you are happy using the lens wide-open and don't want to continuously have to press the green button, you can use Av mode. The lens will always stay wide-open, but the camera will now actually select the correct shutter speed on the fly. To increase the shutter speed, raise the ISO.

More info here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

If you are only getting 1/20 - open up your aperture so when you "stop down meter" you can have shorter exposure times.
The little arrow beside 1/20 on the LED display tells you can use the silver thumb dial to increase/decrease the shutter speed after stopping down. Your lens is probably in half stop increments, so you can go into the menu system of the K01 and change from 1/3 stop to 1/2 stop so its more like shooting on your K1000.
12-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #8

It also looks you have your lens set up at f/8? Maybe you know this but that is not letting enough ligth.. in an indoor situation .

12-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

With the manual focus k-mount lens, unfortunately, you can only use it in Av mode with maximum (wide-open) aperture. Using it in M mode allows you to use the green button for stop-down metering. If that was a manual m42 lens with A/M switch, your problem is solved since you can use Av mode and auto-ISO to change higher shutter speed. While you have the Rokinon 28f2.8 lens, I think your challenge is not only sufficient shutter-speed to freeze the action, but managing the focus as well (although not as bad).
12-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mothra19 Quote
I'm using manual lenses and I just love the camera so far.
If you are using manual lenses. And the one in your picture definitely is then you have to learn a little about how to use that lens on a modern camera. Please read this article: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
It's my first DSLR, although not my first Pentax (used to my K1000!).
The k-01 is not a dslr it is a milc: Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera. So some things are a bit different than with a dslr.
I thought setting it to TV meant it was on shutter priority but the screen still says AV and I can't notice a difference.
When using a manual lens without an 'A' setting the only usable mode is 'M'. You can set it on others but it will just say 'Av' and that does not work except wide open. So set it to 'M' and use stop down metering.
Also every time I turn on the camera it wants me to "input focal length" and I'm not sure what to choose...35? 40?
The camera is asking for the focal length because you are using a manual lens and the camera cannot read what it is. It needs this info to set the shake reduction properly. For the lens attached you should input '28' as it is a 28mm lens. If you have other lenses you need to input what the focal length is for each lens.
The one thing I'm having trouble with is what I guess is shutter speed?
If you are used to the k1000 you know you have three things to change to adjust how much light is being used: shutter speed, aperture and the film speed. On digital you have the same except that film speed is now sensor sensitivity recorded as ISO. On the k-01 usable ISO speeds would be 100 up to 3200 and possibly 6400. You get more noise in the image the higher you go so always use the lowest you can and still get the shutter speed you need. For inside pictures set ISO to 3200 or 6400, Aperture to f/5.6 and shutter speed as high as you can and get a proper exposure, either manually or by hitting the green button to do 'stop down metering'.

While the k-01 is certainly usable with manual lenses might I suggest you invest in at least one modern lens, even the 18-55 kit lens which will allow you to learn how the camera works when it can communicate with the lens. Many people use manual lenses with their Pentaxes but for shooting kids and learning a new camera an auto lens might be a little easier to learn when starting out.
12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
You guys have all been super helpful, thank you kindly!
12-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
I've been messing around with it and all the recommendations here and am getting much better results. The lens I have on is just one of a bunch of old ones I have, so I'll have to further experiment and yes one day I'll invest in a modern lens.

I just still cannot figure out how to change the 1/20 manually.. it keeps adjusting itself depending on light and I'd like to be able to do it myself?
Again I apologize for my total newbie status...I have a hard time understanding a lot of these terms and settings so thanks for being patient with me.
12-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I just still cannot figure out how to change the 1/20 manually..
Do you have the camera in 'M' mode? That's the only way it will work with manual lens. All other modes act as Av no matter what you set. So the only control you have is aperture and the camera will adjust the shutter speed as it sees fit. But the camera will meter with the lens wide open unless you use stop down metering.

1. Put camera in 'M' mode
  2. Turn on the camera
  3. Input focal length as requested
  4. Set ISO to 3200 fixed
  5. Set aperture on the lens to f/5.6
  6. Now use the green button to stop down (close the lens to set aperture) and take a meter reading. This should set the shutter speed.
Or an example using the lens wide open:
  1. Put camera in 'M' mode
  2. Turn on the camera
  3. Input focal length as requested
  4. Set ISO to 3200 fixed
  5. Set aperture on the lens to wide open (f/2.8 I think on the 28mm lens)
  6. Set the shutter speed to get a proper exposure. On my camera there is a meter bar you just adjust the speed until you center the bar. Not 100% that is present on the k-01 but it should be I think.
In this example you do not have to use stop down metering because the lens is already wide open and stopping it down will not change anything.
12-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When using a manual lens without an 'A' setting the only usable mode is 'M'.
... unless it is an M42 lens (not relevant for the OP, of course).