Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #1

Bulb Mode IR remote issue

Just got a K-01 for Christmas and have been playing with it for the past couple days. Plan to get some shots of the fireworks coming up for New Years so I've been trying out Bulb mode. Right now I'm just using a universal remote that I programmed for the IR port, and it seems to work fine in the other modes. When I try to use it with Bulb mode, using option 2, so I can push the remote twice, after the 1st trigger, the IR port seems to turn off and I can't trigger it a 2nd time to close the shutter. Not even using the normal shuttle release button works, I have to turn the camera off for the shutter to close, then turn it on again.

Is there some option I'm missing or something? I thought I would just be able to hit the button on the remote once, shutter opens, hit it again, and it closes.

12-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just tried the Pentax F remote and had no issue in Bulb.
12-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just tried the Pentax F remote and had no issue in Bulb.
So no issues closing the shutter in Bulb mode with that type of remote then? I guess it must be because I'm just using a Universal TV remote, guess I need to pick up an actual one.
12-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thedoo Quote
So no issues closing the shutter in Bulb mode with that type of remote then? I guess it must be because I'm just using a Universal TV remote, guess I need to pick up an actual one.
I just tried my universal remote that has worked the istDS, K100D, K-x, and K-r just fine - K-01 is ignoring it. Looks like it might need a different setup code.

12-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I just tried my universal remote that has worked the istDS, K100D, K-x, and K-r just fine - K-01 is ignoring it. Looks like it might need a different setup code.
Strange thing is, my Universal remote works with the camera. Push the power button and it takes a picture, it's just Bulb mode where I can't close the shutter since the IR light turns off.
12-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

Strange thing is, my Universal remote works with the camera. Push the power button and it takes a picture, it's just Bulb mode where I can't close the shutter since the IR light turns off.
hi, have you done this setting yet? Just wondering, at user manual page 83, under manu C1 #7 Bulb mode option, it should be set as "Mode 2".

my 2 cents.
12-31-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
I've very rarely used my Pentax remote, but here is a non remote idea that very well might work for most people…

When using one click for open shutter and one click for close using the regular shutter release… Simply switch over to bulb and do not use the remote. Simply "somewhat" cover the lens for the beginning of the pic and also just before the end. Using a strong enough tripod one very well might not need the remote.
12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I've very rarely used my Pentax remote, but here is a non remote idea that very well might work for most people…

When using one click for open shutter and one click for close using the regular shutter release… Simply switch over to bulb and do not use the remote. Simply "somewhat" cover the lens for the beginning of the pic and also just before the end. Using a strong enough tripod one very well might not need the remote.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can try that. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with my camera. Seems odd that the IR port would just turn off after opening the shutter and the camera become unresponsive until I turn the camera off to force the shutter to close.

12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #9

Newb here. I'm curious if anyone else has had success or failure with an IR remote opening/closing the shutter on the K-01 while in Bulb mode?
12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Read this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/209579-share-yours-k-01-remot...solutions.html
01-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #11

Thanks. I'll give it a try as soon as my camera and remote arrive.
01-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #12

I have an ebay $ 2 remote and it works fine except that finish Bulb exposure is not always working. I discovered, however, the other day that the low temperature got my remote to mess, it was about -5 ° outside. Tried to heat it by having it in my hand inside the glove while I waited for the exposure and then it worked much better.
Long exposure with K-01 and F501.7@F10, 224s.

Last edited by chickenphone; 01-11-2013 at 10:00 AM.
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #13

Just got a K-01 for Christmas and have been playing with it for the past couple days. Plan to get some shots of the fireworks coming up for New Years so I've been trying out Bulb mode. Right now I'm just using a universal remote that I programmed for the IR port, and it seems to work fine in the other modes. When I try to use it with Bulb mode, using option 2, so I can push the remote twice, after the 1st trigger, the IR port seems to turn off and I can't trigger it a 2nd time to close the shutter. Not even using the normal shuttle release button works, I have to turn the camera off for the shutter to close, then turn it on again.

Is there some option I'm missing or something? I thought I would just be able to hit the button on the remote once, shutter opens, hit it again, and it closes.
I have the same issue.
02-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SergioFromSF Quote
I have the same issue.
Does the timing matter here? Does it never work? Or is it only if the shutter is open at least X amount of time?
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Does the timing matter here? Does it never work? Or is it only if the shutter is open at least X amount of time?
with configured TV remote, pressing the "Power" button activates the shutter to open (mode 2), then the blinking red light on front of the camera goes off and shutter will not activate again whether I use the remote or the shutter on the camera. I have to turn off the camera.

If I use other IR modes where shutter opens and closes with a single "power" button touch (mode 1), then it works as it should - one other interesting note, if I press and hold the power button on TV remote, it keeps the shutter open until I let go (bulb mode).

I am thinking that there might be more than one IR code that activates the shutter and TV remote scan may have picked up the other one, which does not work for mode 2.