Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary
Photos: Albums
Posts: 122
Metering using M Lenses on K-01

Only had my K-01 about a week and can't seem to figure out how to meter with an M lens

I read the article
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

But when I use my green button to stop down the lens (step 5), my shutter speed doesn't change, and I don't get any light information

Sometimes my shutter speed and ISO will turn red when stopped down using the green button (or +/- button), but won't come off regardless of what I set the shutter speed/ISO/Aperture to

Any suggestions on how to meter with an M lens on a K-01? Am I reading that article wrong?

12-30-2012, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,988
First things first:

-- Custom menu option #16 "Using Aperture Ring" should be set to enabled. This is what allows you to use lenses with a manual aperture ring.

-- Button customization (page 3 of main settings menu), green button "action in m/TAv Mode" should be set to TvSHIFT. This is telling the green button to adjust shutter speed.

Are those set correctly?
12-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pemberton BC
Posts: 238
Make sure you're not using Auto ISO - that makes the K-01 default to Av mode. You have to set the ISO to a set number.

Pete
12-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary
Photos: Albums
Posts: 122
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
First things first:

-- Custom menu option #16 "Using Aperture Ring" should be set to enabled. This is what allows you to use lenses with a manual aperture ring.

-- Button customization (page 3 of main settings menu), green button "action in m/TAv Mode" should be set to TvSHIFT. This is telling the green button to adjust shutter speed.

Are those set correctly?
AHHH! My Green button was not set to "action in m/TAv Mode."

Thanks for the responses guys!

All is well now

03-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,704
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
-- Custom menu option #16 "Using Aperture Ring" should be set to enabled. This is what allows you to use lenses with a manual aperture ring.
Hi all. Reviving an old thread with a question, because I'm contemplating purchasing some fully manual lenses... As quoted above, I understand that there's a setting that needs to be changed in order for these lenses to work. Otherwise, the camera will refuse to fire when you hit the shutter. My question is: when I go back to a non manual lens, do I need to set this menu option back to its default value (and change it again when I later re-mount another manual lens), or can I just set it once and forget about it?

I think I would find it a little tedious if I need to constantly change that menu option as I alternate between manual and non-manual lenses...
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,424
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Hi all. Reviving an old thread with a question, because I'm contemplating purchasing some fully manual lenses... As quoted above, I understand that there's a setting that needs to be changed in order for these lenses to work. Otherwise, the camera will refuse to fire when you hit the shutter. My question is: when I go back to a non manual lens, do I need to set this menu option back to its default value (and change it again when I later re-mount another manual lens), or can I just set it once and forget about it?

I think I would find it a little tedious if I need to constantly change that menu option as I alternate between manual and non-manual lenses...
Just set it once, and forget it. It would be nice if 'use of aperture ring' was enabled by default!
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,281
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Hi all. Reviving an old thread with a question, because I'm contemplating purchasing some fully manual lenses... As quoted above, I understand that there's a setting that needs to be changed in order for these lenses to work. Otherwise, the camera will refuse to fire when you hit the shutter. My question is: when I go back to a non manual lens, do I need to set this menu option back to its default value (and change it again when I later re-mount another manual lens), or can I just set it once and forget about it?

I think I would find it a little tedious if I need to constantly change that menu option as I alternate between manual and non-manual lenses...
No you do not need to change it every time you change a lens. I never have understood why the default setting is off.
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,704
Perfect. Thanks for the super quick replies!

03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,396
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No you do not need to change it every time you change a lens. I never have understood why the default setting is off.
I think it goes back to the *ist D - IIRC, it did not support non-A lenses at all until user demand pushed Pentax to add it to FW 1.10.
03-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
A related question on using M-lenses with the K-01: Shouldn't the preset SCN options also start working (with M-lenses) once metering is enabled? Or is there a setting/tweak for that also?
03-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
I just noticed that with the M/K lenses, I can short the pins with aluminium foil, then I can use Av mode on the K-01.... just like the m42 lens which allow me to do stop down metering. However, this method using the M/K lens on the k-5 does not work, anyone noticed that? And appreciate if you can shed some light on why, are the camera mount different between k-5 and k-01?
03-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,988
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I just noticed that with the M/K lenses, I can short the pins with aluminium foil, then I can use Av mode on the K-01.... just like the m42 lens which allow me to do stop down metering. However, this method using the M/K lens on the k-5 does not work, anyone noticed that? And appreciate if you can shed some light on why, are the camera mount different between k-5 and k-01?
I think you will find it doesn't work in either case. Even if you get a readout that gives you an aperture, it a phantom. (Quirk of live view -- K-5 will also do it in live view.) Still nothing happens (the aperture does not close) when you turn the aperture ring and therefore no metering occurs other than wide-open. You can always use Av mode with M lenses wide-open...
03-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I think you will find it doesn't work in either case. Even if you get a readout that gives you an aperture, it a phantom. (Quirk of live view -- K-5 will also do it in live view.) Still nothing happens (the aperture does not close) when you turn the aperture ring and therefore no metering occurs other than wide-open. You can always use Av mode with M lenses wide-open...
Then my k-01 works wonder!! I can use Av mode on the k-01 with my Ricoh 50/1.7 and M 50/1.4 lenses.... therefore, does anyone notice the same!!
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,988
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Then my k-01 works wonder!! I can use Av mode on the k-01 with my Ricoh 50/1.7 and M 50/1.4 lenses.... therefore, does anyone notice the same!!
But if you put the aperture on f/16, does it change the shutter speed accordingly and if you take a picture does it expose properly? (You should see the aperture close when you do or else how could it possibly meter?) You can cut off the aperture levers on the lenses and then it will behave as m42, otherwise not (unless maybe the lens is not mounted all the way).
03-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But if you put the aperture on f/16, does it change the shutter speed accordingly and if you take a picture does it expose properly? (You should see the aperture close when you do or else how could it possibly meter?) You can cut off the aperture levers on the lenses and then it will behave as m42, otherwise not (unless maybe the lens is not mounted all the way).
It is stopped down when I turn the aperture ring and the picture is properly exposed - behaves exactly like a m42 lens and no modification required on the lens...

In the attachment lens used is Ricoh Rikenon P 50/f1.7 k mount; 1st image is wide-open at f1.7 and second is f8. The camera treat this as A lens and I can use Av mode.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by aleonx3; 03-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
article, button, k-01, k01, lens, meter, mirrorless, pentax k-01, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- Adam Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 246 05-22-2014 02:46 PM
M&K lenses on K-01 issues dstructor Pentax K-01 6 10-21-2012 05:34 PM
Flash Settings Using M Series Lenses On The K X shutterpuppy Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 01-07-2011 12:01 PM
Metering with M-lenses on the K-7 blende8 Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 06-02-2009 12:45 AM
Metering with M/K Lenses On The MZ-50/ZX-50 (and other questions) lithos Pentax Film SLR Discussion 3 09-04-2008 10:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top