Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Metering using M Lenses on K-01

Only had my K-01 about a week and can't seem to figure out how to meter with an M lens

I read the article
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

But when I use my green button to stop down the lens (step 5), my shutter speed doesn't change, and I don't get any light information

Sometimes my shutter speed and ISO will turn red when stopped down using the green button (or +/- button), but won't come off regardless of what I set the shutter speed/ISO/Aperture to

Any suggestions on how to meter with an M lens on a K-01? Am I reading that article wrong?

12-30-2012, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

First things first:

-- Custom menu option #16 "Using Aperture Ring" should be set to enabled. This is what allows you to use lenses with a manual aperture ring.

-- Button customization (page 3 of main settings menu), green button "action in m/TAv Mode" should be set to TvSHIFT. This is telling the green button to adjust shutter speed.

Are those set correctly?
12-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Make sure you're not using Auto ISO - that makes the K-01 default to Av mode. You have to set the ISO to a set number.

Pete
12-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
First things first:

-- Custom menu option #16 "Using Aperture Ring" should be set to enabled. This is what allows you to use lenses with a manual aperture ring.

-- Button customization (page 3 of main settings menu), green button "action in m/TAv Mode" should be set to TvSHIFT. This is telling the green button to adjust shutter speed.

Are those set correctly?
AHHH! My Green button was not set to "action in m/TAv Mode."

Thanks for the responses guys!

All is well now

03-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all. Reviving an old thread with a question, because I'm contemplating purchasing some fully manual lenses... As quoted above, I understand that there's a setting that needs to be changed in order for these lenses to work. Otherwise, the camera will refuse to fire when you hit the shutter. My question is: when I go back to a non manual lens, do I need to set this menu option back to its default value (and change it again when I later re-mount another manual lens), or can I just set it once and forget about it?

I think I would find it a little tedious if I need to constantly change that menu option as I alternate between manual and non-manual lenses...
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Hi all. Reviving an old thread with a question, because I'm contemplating purchasing some fully manual lenses... As quoted above, I understand that there's a setting that needs to be changed in order for these lenses to work. Otherwise, the camera will refuse to fire when you hit the shutter. My question is: when I go back to a non manual lens, do I need to set this menu option back to its default value (and change it again when I later re-mount another manual lens), or can I just set it once and forget about it?

I think I would find it a little tedious if I need to constantly change that menu option as I alternate between manual and non-manual lenses...
Just set it once, and forget it. It would be nice if 'use of aperture ring' was enabled by default!
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote

No you do not need to change it every time you change a lens. I never have understood why the default setting is off.

03-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Perfect. Thanks for the super quick replies!
03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No you do not need to change it every time you change a lens. I never have understood why the default setting is off.
I think it goes back to the *ist D - IIRC, it did not support non-A lenses at all until user demand pushed Pentax to add it to FW 1.10.
03-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #10

A related question on using M-lenses with the K-01: Shouldn't the preset SCN options also start working (with M-lenses) once metering is enabled? Or is there a setting/tweak for that also?
03-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just noticed that with the M/K lenses, I can short the pins with aluminium foil, then I can use Av mode on the K-01.... just like the m42 lens which allow me to do stop down metering. However, this method using the M/K lens on the k-5 does not work, anyone noticed that? And appreciate if you can shed some light on why, are the camera mount different between k-5 and k-01?
03-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I just noticed that with the M/K lenses, I can short the pins with aluminium foil, then I can use Av mode on the K-01.... just like the m42 lens which allow me to do stop down metering. However, this method using the M/K lens on the k-5 does not work, anyone noticed that? And appreciate if you can shed some light on why, are the camera mount different between k-5 and k-01?
I think you will find it doesn't work in either case. Even if you get a readout that gives you an aperture, it a phantom. (Quirk of live view -- K-5 will also do it in live view.) Still nothing happens (the aperture does not close) when you turn the aperture ring and therefore no metering occurs other than wide-open. You can always use Av mode with M lenses wide-open...
03-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think you will find it doesn't work in either case. Even if you get a readout that gives you an aperture, it a phantom. (Quirk of live view -- K-5 will also do it in live view.) Still nothing happens (the aperture does not close) when you turn the aperture ring and therefore no metering occurs other than wide-open. You can always use Av mode with M lenses wide-open...
Then my k-01 works wonder!! I can use Av mode on the k-01 with my Ricoh 50/1.7 and M 50/1.4 lenses.... therefore, does anyone notice the same!!
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Then my k-01 works wonder!! I can use Av mode on the k-01 with my Ricoh 50/1.7 and M 50/1.4 lenses.... therefore, does anyone notice the same!!
But if you put the aperture on f/16, does it change the shutter speed accordingly and if you take a picture does it expose properly? (You should see the aperture close when you do or else how could it possibly meter?) You can cut off the aperture levers on the lenses and then it will behave as m42, otherwise not (unless maybe the lens is not mounted all the way).
03-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

But if you put the aperture on f/16, does it change the shutter speed accordingly and if you take a picture does it expose properly? (You should see the aperture close when you do or else how could it possibly meter?) You can cut off the aperture levers on the lenses and then it will behave as m42, otherwise not (unless maybe the lens is not mounted all the way).
It is stopped down when I turn the aperture ring and the picture is properly exposed - behaves exactly like a m42 lens and no modification required on the lens...

In the attachment lens used is Ricoh Rikenon P 50/f1.7 k mount; 1st image is wide-open at f1.7 and second is f8. The camera treat this as A lens and I can use Av mode.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by aleonx3; 03-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.