Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 26
K-01 is shutting itself down.

Hello!


I just bought one of those amazing cameras.
But during the day, it shut itself down 2 times during shooting in hdr.
I tried to do some research on that topic on the net, but didn't found anything so far.
Do I have to assume that this is a serious error on just my K-01 or is there something known about this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings
Szenario

12-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,506
Is your battery fully charged?

I have a K-01 and I found that it is demanding a well-charged battery. The battery take several hours (at least 3) to charge fully when it is empty. (It is full charged when the green battery charger light comes off.)

Hope that the comment may help.
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,624
How does it shut down? Does it freeze during the processing? Does it display a message?
Try taking the battery out for a while, maybe charging it, then putting it back in. My K-01 has never shut down during HDR processing, though my K-r has frozen during it once before (the process never completed, I dont remember the details, but I remember it was back when the camera was very new. Some usage might clear things up a bit. Btw, did you update the firmware on your camera?).
12-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 26
Original Poster
The Battery indicator in the camera shows yellow. So it is towards its end, but not empty. I haven't charged it yet but i can still use it. So I don't think that it was the battery.
First time i was taking long exposure shots in hdr. About 2,5 seconds exposure, when the screen just turned black during the shooting.
The second time it was again hdr, but shorter exposure time and this time it completed the shooting but then while processing the images together... it just froze.
Suddenly then i heard the sensor shaking (because I have turned that option on) and the camera was shutting itself down.
But as I said, I was able to shoot a lot more pictures afterwards, so I don't think it could be the battery.
I didn't update the camera, because I want to have the option to return it to the store.

12-31-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 41,637
QuoteOriginally posted by Szenario Quote
The Battery indicator in the camera shows yellow. So it is towards its end, but not empty. I haven't charged it yet but i can still use it. So I don't think that it was the battery.
First time i was taking long exposure shots in hdr. About 2,5 seconds exposure, when the screen just turned black during the shooting.
The second time it was again hdr, but shorter exposure time and this time it completed the shooting but then while processing the images together... it just froze.
Suddenly then i heard the sensor shaking (because I have turned that option on) and the camera was shutting itself down.
But as I said, I was able to shoot a lot more pictures afterwards, so I don't think it could be the battery.
I didn't update the camera, because I want to have the option to return it to the store.
Charge the battery all the way up and see if you can reproduce the problem. The battery indicator can sometimes be misleading.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by Szenario Quote
i heard the sensor shaking (because I have turned that option on) and the camera was shutting itself down
I've used the Pentax K-01 in both a creative way and also on quite a professional level. I have some 5k++ pics on it so far… Yet have rarely had the need to use the sensor clean function built into the camera; and I change lens' quite frequently in most types of environments - besides rain. So for most people out there I would actually suggest turning the sensor cleaning function off, and using it on a sparingly basis. -Or do what I do, simply aim it up at a clear blue sky and take a few pics every once in a while - then when viewed later it should easily show anything on the sensor.

So far in all of those pics I've never had to professionally clean the sensor with a swab - or also to have the dust/debris mapped out. Quite remarkable for a non wr camera. It's also interesting to see exactly how much power consumption the sensor clean function uses
12-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member
ChrisJ's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eckington, Derbyshire UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 316
QuoteOriginally posted by Szenario Quote
The Battery indicator in the camera shows yellow. So it is towards its end, but not empty. I haven't charged it yet but i can still use it. So I don't think that it was the battery.
First time i was taking long exposure shots in hdr. About 2,5 seconds exposure, when the screen just turned black during the shooting.
The second time it was again hdr, but shorter exposure time and this time it completed the shooting but then while processing the images together... it just froze.
Suddenly then i heard the sensor shaking (because I have turned that option on) and the camera was shutting itself down.
But as I said, I was able to shoot a lot more pictures afterwards, so I don't think it could be the battery.
I didn't update the camera, because I want to have the option to return it to the store.
You need to fully charge your battery and let it cycle a few times before you get maximum capacity.

Lithium Ion batteries don't start to drop their output voltage until they are very close to discharged, as the battery monitoring circuit can only measure the voltage across the battery, yellow means the battery does not have much charge left, a yellow battery indication does not mean that half the charge is still there, it means the battery is close to empty, give the camera a task which demands power and the camera is likely to turn off..

Chris
12-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 26
Original Poster
Ok, I will charge the battery when it is empty, but I have been shooting today during the day and the battery is still not depleted.
It changed it's status from yellow to red, but I could not get it to shut down, even with a lot of hdr shooting and setting the screen at the highest brightness.
So still I found it strange that the camera shut down and then is running endless on battery.
But then I also have to say that I bought it in a store, but it was not brand new. It is a demo-ex.

01-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 56
I found that my K01 camera has the same problem.
Battery is fully charged. It occasionally shuts itself down when I take a few shots in burst.
By the way it looks the camera is trying to save darta on an SD card, and if it looks slow for some reason, it just turining off.
No problems with the same SD card with Pentax K-x.
My understanding is that Pentax must address this issue in next firmware version.
01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 422
Charge the battery and update the firmware.

Updating the firmware will not void the warranty or your ability to return it if it is defective.
06-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Forum Member
slocant's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 56
K-01 shutting down

My K-01 has been shutting down unexpectedly when I trip the shutter.
It doesn't happen when filming or in playback mode.
It has happened with three Pentax batteries. One came with the camera (Amazon) and the other two I bought from B&H.
After the camera shuts down, the battery's voltage is 1.7v or 3.5v (can't recall the exact values).

However, after a few seconds in the charger, the battery's voltage output is reset. Maybe some sort of switch is in action here.

But then I measured the battery's output after being charged and it was 8.34v. Is this normal? The batteries are labled 7.2v.

I see the AC adapter for the K-01 outputs 8.3v (I don't have it) and the camera itself is labeled 8.3v. The battery charger outputs 8.3v or 8.4v.

Does anyone have a clue on what may be going on here?

Did anyone have this problem solved?

I've also downgraded from firmware 1.03 to 1.02 and back, to no avail.

Cheers,
11-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 27
QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
My K-01 has been shutting down unexpectedly when I trip the shutter.
It doesn't happen when filming or in playback mode.
It has happened with three Pentax batteries. One came with the camera (Amazon) and the other two I bought from B&H.
After the camera shuts down, the battery's voltage is 1.7v or 3.5v (can't recall the exact values).

However, after a few seconds in the charger, the battery's voltage output is reset. Maybe some sort of switch is in action here.

But then I measured the battery's output after being charged and it was 8.34v. Is this normal? The batteries are labled 7.2v.

I see the AC adapter for the K-01 outputs 8.3v (I don't have it) and the camera itself is labeled 8.3v. The battery charger outputs 8.3v or 8.4v.

Does anyone have a clue on what may be going on here?

Did anyone have this problem solved?

I've also downgraded from firmware 1.03 to 1.02 and back, to no avail.

Cheers,
I'm waiting for my K-01 i sent to Pentax in august with the same issue. Did your camera have been fixed?

Last edited by angevoi; 11-12-2013 at 03:16 PM.
05-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
New Member




Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
anyone had this issue resolved? i'm having the same problem with my 1 year old camera too. :/
05-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,059
QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
However, after a few seconds in the charger, the battery's voltage output is reset.
That's a good way to damage a battery.
Regardless of type, once discharged, let it charge properly on the factory charger until the charger reports the battery is charged.
From new (and the manual), it should take up to 5 hours to fully charge the K-01 battery.

Szenario: I'd suggest running the same sort of shooting, but with a full battery, and swapping SD cards to see if that alters the behaviour. I'm inclined to think you've got a dodgy SD card that is holding up the data writing, causing a buffer error in the camera processor - default action for a lot of electronics is to shut down when encountering a unrecoverable error is to shut down.

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Yet have rarely had the need to use the sensor clean function built into the camera; and I change lens' quite frequently in most types of environments - besides rain.
You must have been lucky
I've copped a pile of dust in some environments, the sort that won't vibrate off easily, probably due to the dust's static charge more then anything else. Swapping to carrying the camera lens down in my bag helped reduce the amount of stuff sticking to the sensor, even so, I've had to use sensor swabs twice in the last year, and a blower brush regularly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
simply aim it up at a clear blue sky and take a few pics every once in a while
Seconded,... but make sure to close down the iris to f11 or f16 - there's plenty of small dust that won't show up at f2, but the moment you're shooting in bright conditions and need deep focus, whammo, sensor spots...
05-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
Forum Member
slocant's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 56
The batteries do not discharge themselves

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
That's a good way to damage a battery.
Regardless of type, once discharged, let it charge properly on the factory charger until the charger reports the battery is charged.
From new (and the manual), it should take up to 5 hours to fully charge the K-01 battery.
But the batteries weren't discharged. Since they were fully charged just before the camera locked up, after only a couple of shutter actuations.

As I wrote, it seems the camera employs some sort of electrical security measure and shuts the battery down, via an internal switch. The switch seems to be reset after a few seconds in the charger.

The problem with my K-01 seems to be shutter related. I noticed uneven exposures, as if the shutter curtain was delayed over a part of the image. Doing exposure bracketing made this behavior more obvious. If I recall correctly someone else's K-01 had the shutter mechanism replaced to correct this same problem (camera lock ups).

Cheers,
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Authorized Pentax dealer selling 01 Prime by itself! panoguy Pentax Q 4 11-20-2012 07:35 AM
Where is the K-01 Made? zx-m Pentax K-01 61 04-30-2012 02:45 PM
K-01 battery is hot during use. norm Pentax K-01 13 04-28-2012 06:21 AM
pkTriggerCord and k-r shutting down k-r.au Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 1 12-23-2011 02:17 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top