Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #16
HSV
Veteran Member

On 3, by full spectrum I mean that you would put a "IR neutral" glass in front of the sensor (originally the hot mirror is there, the hot-mirror is visible pass and IR blocking). This is enable both visible and IR rays to pass to the sensor. To take IR pictures you put install a filter in front of the lens to block the visible, or let a small portion of it pass though (like a 720nm filter).

About the hotspot issue, this seems to be a characteristic of the lens, some lens have more than others. I've found this chart: Lens Hotspot Performance Database | Kolari Vision Infrared which is supposed to help you choose the right lens. I haven't done a mod to DSLRs, I can't tell you if the chart is accurate or not. I have tried changing between different brands of 720nm filters, there is some slight improvement on some brands, but it cannot eliminate the hotspot. Also, it seems to depend a lot on the sun, shooting conditions, things like that, and the subject. On some shots, it's not even noticeable.

Lately I have been doing full spectrum shots with a polarizer, so there's an interesting blend of IR and visible. In color, they look a lot better with less PP (probably a matter of taste, also). I haven't tried using a 720nm and a polarizer together to see what happens.

01-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I saw the thread. You are using a filter infront off the lens. I talking about putting a filter infront off the sensor. Totaly different story on handling the camera and making images.
Why is this totally different?
01-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Why is this totally different?
mmmm I have to think about that, since I have no vision true the lens with the K-01 other then with liveview, so maybe I'm wrong and doesn't make it different with K-01, wich is different with a mirror-camera.

Anyway, I found someone who want to play with my camera to see if conversion is possible:

http://www.h-maccario.de/wordpress/

He doesn't know at the time if this is possible with the K-01, since he never handled this camera, but is experienced with other camera's. Has to wait until februari since I'm busy and want to visit and deliver the camera myself (not to far from my brothers place).
04-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mmmm I have to think about that, since I have no vision true the lens with the K-01 other then with liveview, so maybe I'm wrong and doesn't make it different with K-01, wich is different with a mirror-camera.

Anyway, I found someone who want to play with my camera to see if conversion is possible:

http://www.h-maccario.de/wordpress/

He doesn't know at the time if this is possible with the K-01, since he never handled this camera, but is experienced with other camera's. Has to wait until februari since I'm busy and want to visit and deliver the camera myself (not to far from my brothers place).
Ron,

Have you found someone in Europe who is doing a K-01 IR conversion? What did Makario say?

Cheers from Berlin,

jephi

Last edited by jephi; 04-20-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
04-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jephi Quote
Ron,

Have you found someone in Europe who is doing a K-01 IR conversion? What did Makario say?

Cheers from Berlin,

jephi
He said he first have to take a look at the camera to see if it is possible. Haven't been there since I don't have the money to spend on it. Waiting on some picture sales to spend on that project, but that is going to work since I have a few orders for framed images.
04-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ron -- sounds like you are getting great support from Pentax Germany. Here's a thought -- why not just go with the glass 720nm filter in front of the lens (and get a tripod for long 5 to 10 sec exposures, if it's like my Olympus XZ-1) -- and then get Pentax to remove the Bayer filter in that second camera, to make it very sharp, like a K5-IIs?

That way, you wouldn't have to paint it red, or go around with red fingernails.
04-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Ron -- sounds like you are getting great support from Pentax Germany. Here's a thought -- why not just go with the glass 720nm filter in front of the lens (and get a tripod for long 5 to 10 sec exposures, if it's like my Olympus XZ-1) -- and then get Pentax to remove the Bayer filter in that second camera, to make it very sharp, like a K5-IIs?

That way, you wouldn't have to paint it red, or go around with red fingernails.

I don't know if if removing the Bayer filter is a good idea with a 720nm filter in the same camera. With the 720 filter you get a little bit of visible red passing thru. You can use that little bit to add some false color. I've converted my k10 to 720 ir .

When I converted my k10, it retained the sr function.

You'll enjoy having a converted digital camera. It is so much easier than using a screw on filter with film or digital.
05-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Forum Member

He said he first have to take a look at the camera to see if it is possible. Haven't been there since I don't have the money to spend on it. Waiting on some picture sales to spend on that project, but that is going to work since I have a few orders for framed images.
Ron,

Did you get your camera modified? I am considering getting mine converted to full spectrum. Since there is a lot of space between the mount and the shutter on K-01, it would be great to have clip in filters like these EOS clips

05-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by djseeram Quote
Ron,

Did you get your camera modified? I am considering getting mine converted to full spectrum. Since there is a lot of space between the mount and the shutter on K-01, it would be great to have clip in filters like these EOS clips
Not yet, since I use the camera temporary for another project.

Never heard off those clips, but am curious about them.