Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What autofocus method do you use?

Just got my K-01 only because it was a bargain. Liking it more than I thought I would. One thing I do not like - the shutter button, not distinct enough. I'm sure I will get used to it.

A question I have for all of you is, what autofocus method are you using? I have left it in the default so far, face detection. When you know that you are not taking pics of people, would it work faster to use another method? Generally, on my DSLRs, I use centerpoint and recompose. Is that faster focusing? Also, is there no concept of AF-C on this cam? One last question, have any of you used the tracking method? Does it work well? Thanks!

01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Just got my K-01 only because it was a bargain. Liking it more than I thought I would. One thing I do not like - the shutter button, not distinct enough. I'm sure I will get used to it.

A question I have for all of you is, what autofocus method are you using? I have left it in the default so far, face detection. When you know that you are not taking pics of people, would it work faster to use another method? Generally, on my DSLRs, I use centerpoint and recompose. Is that faster focusing? Also, is there no concept of AF-C on this cam? One last question, have any of you used the tracking method? Does it work well? Thanks!
There is no AF-C, and the tracking is pretty bad. The K-01 is definitely not a camera for shooting (or focusing on, rather) stuff that moves.

I found that the best AF mode was sel with a 25-point square in the center of the frame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome!
I would suggest you stay away from face detection, it is not very reliable. Tracking is also not very great. I have it on AF select. Just hit OK and move the square around (scroll to make it smallest as possible) and shoot. That way you can choose exactly where you want to shoot, something you can't even do with DSLRs (since they have just a couple AF points).
Also, if you are using fast prime lenses, you can try focus peaking and manual focusing.
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no AF-C, and the tracking is pretty bad. The K-01 is definitely not a camera for shooting (or focusing on, rather) stuff that moves.

I found that the best AF mode was sel with a 25-point square in the center of the frame.
You say that, but I was shooting dance mops this weekend and was having more luck with the k-01 in live view than with my K30! Somewhat surprised me! Admittedly, you have to be a bit smart with it, ie lock focus then pull the trigger nd nature sufficient DOF to give you some leeway, but it wasn't arduous. I'll post some pics in a bit!

Sure, maybe shooting a formula1 race close up as the cars go past might be a reach, and I wasn't using tele distances, but I was using the Tamron 17-50mm which is screwdrive.

I was using a in inaction of face detect and select/adjustable focus point, set to a wider box than the single point mode.

01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm old-fashioned, so for me it's the good old spot focus. Face-detection obviously makes no sense, except in cases of there being a single face in the frame. Select mode is too slow. I'm much faster re-composing away from the center spot. I'm aware of the field curvature pitfall when doing this, but this hasn't been a problem with any of my AF lenses, probably because they aren't capable of the shallow DOF anyway that I'm able to get from my manual focus glass.
01-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Well unless you are using a slow lens, focus peaking should also help with confirming focus, so you can fire off when the subject is in-focus, or just quickly adjust.
But yes, AF is one of the places where mirrorless cameras and the K-01 have the most to improve.
01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Forum Member

Manual focus. dial in with FP, zoom -- re-dial, zoom out, remeter (green button) snap. Pentax M 50mm 1.7. works well for me.