Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-01 peaking in video mode?

I can't get peaking in video mode to work. It works until I start recording, but I want focus peaking on when I'm recording so I can manually focus.

Is there a way to autofocus in video mode btw?

Charles.

01-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Same questions for the Q as well...

Charles.
01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. For the K-01, I'm sure. For the Q, O don't have one so I dunno.
I think the problem is in processing power - video takes so much that peaking might cause problems.
Or maybe its just a design fault, who knows! Either way, doesn't appear to be possible atm.
01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, that makes video recording fairly useless. No autofocus and no peaking means unfocused videos. Ah well.

Charles.

01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well not really. Peaking is a special feature. How many cameras allow peaking during recording?
You can still see where the focus is. And you can use a lens with distance markings to focus according to that. Or do zone / hyperfocal focusing. Or stop the lens down a lot for a DoF that won't require focusing.
People have been focusing during video recordings for a long time before focus peaking came along
01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I can't get peaking in video mode to work. It works until I start recording, but I want focus peaking on when I'm recording so I can manually focus.

Is there a way to autofocus in video mode btw?

Charles.
You can only get peaking before recording; during recording you're on your own. You can still use AF when needed by pressing the AF button, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I can't focus worth a damn without it. Until the K-01 (and to a lesser extent the Q), I had completely given up, and sold nearly all of my manual glass. On a K1000 it was okay. On a 35mm camera with a split prism focusing screen it was a LOT better. But my K-x, even with a split prism screen, was impossible to focus. The viewfinder was just too small. Split prism didn't cut it, especially for lenses with razor thin DOF.

Focus peaking gives me the shot I want, every time. I don't even have to zoom in.

Pentax video will be useless to me until either AF or peaking are implemented. Which is okay, I bought these cameras to take photos, not video. Q is slightly more useful for video in good light, since it has such a huge depth of field. But in low light neither is of any use for video, for me.

Charles.
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pressing the shutter halfway on the K-01 and Q does nothing during recording. There doesn't seem to be AF in video mode.

Charles.

01-02-2013, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The AF/AE-L button refocuses while recording video. Its not super great, especially if you are using a kit lens or something with loud AF, but it works
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Umm, just tried that. Doesn't work with my K-01.

Charles.
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I share your frustration. It would be really helpful to have focus peaking during video. As it stands, I still have to carry around my camcorder when I want to shoot video. I pretty much use the K-01 only for stills when I don't want to carry the K-5, or when I know I am going into a group situation and am likely to hand the camera to someone who doesn't want to (or doesn't know how to) stick his eye against a viewfinder.

If you are looking for something approaching the versatility of the Sony Alpha series, for dual-mode use, you're out of luck. A NEX-6 or NEX-7 with K-to-E mount adapter, or a VG-series camcorder, is about as close as you can get (although those don't support in-body stabilization, if that matters to you).

Someone pointed out to me earlier that Magic Lantern on the Canon DSLRs supports focus peaking during video, FWIW.

Anyhow, I can confirm that the AF/AE-L button should work ... are you sure your AF/MF switch is set to AF? And yes, this implies that this feature really is best used with a lens that supports Quick-Shift.
01-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
okay, I got it to work. Dunno why it didn't before, must have been set on manual.

So, K01 is slightly more useful for video now. Peaking would be awesome, but I can more than live with AF.

It's too bad this same trick doesn't work on the Q. With the completely silent focusing on the Q lenses, it would be awesome if it did.

Charles.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 01-03-2013 at 05:14 PM.
01-03-2013, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Well, that makes video recording fairly useless. No autofocus and no peaking means unfocused videos. Ah well. Charles.
I use all manual glass for my K 01 shooting video. It takes a little practice, but it's definitely possible. I find apertures around f/2.8 to be ideal for sharpness/DOF flexibility. I'm using an M35/2 and an M 50/1.4 mostly.
01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Just hold the button. AF is slower during video, so it isn't as loud and doesn't quickly jump the focus during recording - that would be really bothersome during video