Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone shooting in 1:1 (square) aspect ratio?

I couldn't resist the falling prices on the K-01 and took the plunge last night! I was intrigued by the camera since introduction ... I wished it had an eye-level viewfinder, but what really held me back was the price. I already have a K-5 after all. At the new prices, I simply couldn't resist the K-01 any longer. The big draws for me are: 24fps video, with manual controls. A unique minimalist design - let's face it, when a camera lands in Dwell magazine, it's going to appeal to me And finally, selectable aspect ratios. I'm looking forward to shooting for the square, just like my 6x6 TLR.

So is anyone shooting with their K-01 in 1:1 (or any of the other nonstandard aspect ratios?)

Selectable aspect ratios make a lot of sense on this camera. The EVF lets you instantly see what you'll get (hard to do with an OVF.) Having 16+MP gives you enough pixels that you can afford to through a few pixels away on oddball crops.

If you're using different aspect ratios, how do you like it?

Does the crop apply just to JPEGs? Or does is get applied to the DNG files as well? How about RAW+? Are the JPEGS cropped but the DNGs not?

01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I print a lot using square formats from my K-7 and K10D but I always shoot RAW at the native aspect ratio (full sensor) and then crop and recompose as needed in Lightroom. This way I can concentrate on focusing and exposure primarily when taking the photo and wary about final composition later.

Unless you want to use the image straight out of the camera, I do not see any advantage in pre-cropping the frame. Doing it in post, it give the opportunity (if needed) to correct the horizon, adjust the perspective and finally crop viewing the entire frame on a large screen.
01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have done it where I knew I only wanted a square image, but for the most part, I never use the in-camera edits... better to shoot RAW and then do any cropping or color changes/BW after the fact so you can always go back.
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
I print a lot using square formats from my K-7 and K10D but I always shoot RAW at the native aspect ratio (full sensor) and then crop and recompose as needed in Lightroom. This way I can concentrate on focusing and exposure primarily when taking the photo and wary about final composition later.

Unless you want to use the image straight out of the camera, I do not see any advantage in pre-cropping the frame. Doing it in post, it give the opportunity (if needed) to correct the horizon, adjust the perspective and finally crop viewing the entire frame on a large screen.
Pretty much what I do with my k-5 IIs.

I rather work with the Raw File.

01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Banned

Well I did use it, but still made them in RAW, but it is good to see what the square image looks like. Only jpg is square and RAW is still the whole image.
01-04-2013, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

I do. While some would say that cropping in PP provides more "flexibility", I find that framing my pictures in the square format at the time of shooting enables me to better compose the final image and see some compositions I might not see in the 3:2 format (the only one with zero cropping). It really affect how I see things in a more creative way.
01-04-2013, 05:22 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I started shooting square with the K-01 a couple of months ago. I love the compositional challenges of creating something interesting and dynamic in an otherwise static frame. I liked the square so much that I've set my Q to shoot square and am convinced that any future camera I purchase must include the ability to see the square frame when shooting. That pretty much rules out OVFs for me.

One trick - set the focus point in the upper right third of the frame. If your subject is in the upper left third of the frame, rotate the camera 90 degrees counter-clockwise instead of tap-tap-tapping on the four-way controller to move the focus point.

01-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I shoot RAW all the time then crop to square format when I see fit. why limit yourself with the in-camera square format?
01-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I did use it, but still made them in RAW, but it is good to see what the square image looks like. Only jpg is square and RAW is still the whole image.
I shot a TLR for a few years and love the square format. But I've always cropped the raw in PP when doing digital if I wanted a square format. I never thought of raw+jpeg. Best of both worlds! Thanks for teaching me my one thing today!
01-05-2013, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
I shot a TLR for a few years and love the square format. But I've always cropped the raw in PP when doing digital if I wanted a square format. I never thought of raw+jpeg. Best of both worlds! Thanks for teaching me my one thing today!
O I didn't shoot jpg. In the K-01 you can shoot RAW and choose the 1:1 setting. You make full size RAW images, but on the screen you see the 1:1 crop and that helps making the image.
01-05-2013, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #11

I have been shooting squares since I first bought a Yashica TLR 20 years ago. Many 6x6 slides and now stitching of digitale files to square (rarely cropping). This of course for landscape - stitching is a bit problematic for portraits :-)

There is something special about viewing a square photographs. I tried to describe it here: Wim van Velzen photography: publications, Square Scotland - square composition.
01-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I started shooting square with the K-01 a couple of months ago. I love the compositional challenges of creating something interesting and dynamic in an otherwise static frame. I liked the square so much that I've set my Q to shoot square and am convinced that any future camera I purchase must include the ability to see the square frame when shooting. That pretty much rules out OVFs for me.

One trick - set the focus point in the upper right third of the frame. If your subject is in the upper left third of the frame, rotate the camera 90 degrees counter-clockwise instead of tap-tap-tapping on the four-way controller to move the focus point.

John,

I wanted to see if I got this right, you're shooting in 1:1 in camera instead of via post because you like the challenge that seeing the images via the LCD as 1:1 poses to you in the field as a photographer instead of manipulating it in post. Have I got that right?
01-05-2013, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
John,

I wanted to see if I got this right, you're shooting in 1:1 in camera instead of via post because you like the challenge that seeing the images via the LCD as 1:1 poses to you in the field as a photographer instead of manipulating it in post. Have I got that right?
Yup. Just liking trying to get the exposure right in camera, I like to get the 1:1 composition right too. It's a practice and discipline that I hope is making me a better photog.
01-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yup. Just liking trying to get the exposure right in camera, I like to get the 1:1 composition right too. It's a practice and discipline that I hope is making me a better photog.
Thanks. I find the Q is making me see things differently. I've been trying to use B&W for anything other than typical family snapshots with the Q. Ran into some interesting situations on this vacation that begged for B&W IMHO. I hadn't thought much about the different aspect ratios though until this thread. Perhaps that will be the next project in seeing for me. Thanks.
01-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. I find the Q is making me see things differently. I've been trying to use B&W for anything other than typical family snapshots with the Q. Ran into some interesting situations on this vacation that begged for B&W IMHO. I hadn't thought much about the different aspect ratios though until this thread. Perhaps that will be the next project in seeing for me. Thanks.
Yeah, composing in BW is nice too. Add 1:1 BW and your a total photo hipster lol.