Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yeah, composing in BW is nice too. Add 1:1 BW and your a total photo hipster lol.
Might be too hip for me. Still, the compositions in B&W are more interesting to me right now and I'm enjoying the ability to see things that way with the Q by turning a knob.

01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
O I didn't shoot jpg. In the K-01 you can shoot RAW and choose the 1:1 setting. You make full size RAW images, but on the screen you see the 1:1 crop and that helps making the image.
Great! That's exactly what I hoped!
01-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, composing in BW is nice too. Add 1:1 BW and your a total photo hipster lol.
Busted! I plan to shoot 1:1 black & white with red filter
01-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Square comp cameras have been around a long time. For those finally noticing it for the first time might want to refresh their memory and look into painting and the square comp. the square frame has interesting properties you can use in still photography.

01-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

So I'm a hipster when I shoot BW film in my Hasselblad? Or are hipsters the ones that shoot imitation BW?
01-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So I'm a hipster when I shoot BW film in my Hasselblad? Or are hipsters the ones that shoot imitation BW?
If BW is new to you (within the last 2 years) then you are hipster. If you've been shooting BW since before Al Gore invented the Internet then you're an old person.
01-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

If BW is new to you (within the last 2 years) then you are hipster. If you've been shooting BW since before Al Gore invented the Internet then you're an old person.
What about those of us that rediscovered B&W but were shooting it back before Al Gore invented electricity?

01-06-2013, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well If you really want the old school challenge of B&W you have to shoot in color and think in B&W. None of my 6x6 film cameras ever had a B&W view finder
01-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Well If you really want the old school challenge of B&W you have to shoot in color and think in B&W. None of my 6x6 film cameras ever had a B&W view finder
You know that is a problem when I go out shooting with both my film for BW and my digital. I get into a BW mode and then shooting the next shot in color kind of disrupts the mental groove I get in. But I'm getting better at switching my mental BW mode on/off I think. I had the same issue with the Hassy using color and BW film backs that you can hot-swap out at will.
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
O I didn't shoot jpg. In the K-01 you can shoot RAW and choose the 1:1 setting. You make full size RAW images, but on the screen you see the 1:1 crop and that helps making the image.
What software are you using to see the full size raw images? Because I use Lightroom, and it shows raw images with 1:1 aspect ratio, not full size, and I couldn't find any option to change aspect ratio except when cropping. Thanks.
01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
What software are you using to see the full size raw images? Because I use Lightroom, and it shows raw images with 1:1 aspect ratio, not full size, and I couldn't find any option to change aspect ratio except when cropping. Thanks.
never imported them, but a 1:1 RAW you can develop incamera to 3:2 full size jpg.
01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #27

I googled and it seems that the only possible way is to overwrite the metadata inside the raw file using command line program exiftool before loading it to Lightroom. I haven't tried myself though, now in office.

Source: follow up ... how to change the aspect ratio of existing raw files
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got my new K-01

So I finally got the K-01 in hand to play with last night.

In rolling through the Aspect Ratio settings, I was surpised to see 4:3 but not 4:5.

This seems like an odd choice. 4:3 is an obsolete television aspect ratio, loosely based on a really obsolete motion picture aspect ratio (Academy.)

4:5 however, is a common aspect ratio for prints in North America. Shooting 4:5 allows you to immediately frame for 8x10 and 16x20 prints, and is pretty close for 11x14s as well.

Why no 4:5 choice on the K-01? Pentax, can we please get that in a firmware update? Or how about a "custom" aspect ratio, that we get to dial in?

I would love to have a custom ratio, I would flip between 1:1, 4:5 and 2:1 or 2.35:1 (panoramic.)

(Before anyone asks, yes I prefer to see the frame shape in the viewfinder. I immediately see differently. That's why I sometimes use the cropped "pano" mode on my MZ-7, because I end up taking better wide-frame pictures that way.)
01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #29
Pentaxian

You know another thing that the camera makers don't seem to give you is an overly for the rule of diagonals. We get choices in grids why not diagonals, I wonder. I always have to leave some room around the picture to ensure I can crop to that rule. It would be nice just to frame it that way from the get-go.
01-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You know another thing that the camera makers don't seem to give you is an overly for the rule of diagonals. We get choices in grids why not diagonals, I wonder. I always have to leave some room around the picture to ensure I can crop to that rule. It would be nice just to frame it that way from the get-go.
What do you mean ? One of the girds has a big X right across the screen, isn't that diagonals ?