Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ordered Dec 31:
QuoteOriginally posted by Amazon.com:
Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your item, and that this completes your order. Your order is on its way, and can no longer be changed.

02-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harioharima Quote
I just got a black version (battery is still charging). Charger has date of 08/2012. So far the look and build quality of the camera are underwhelming but I am not too fixated about that. Somewhat surprised that they had to go outside house for that. :-) Nothing was sealed or peel-off stickied-- box, battery leads, screen all naked. Curious if everybody's is the same.
Pentax doesn't do sticky things on their cameras, so that is not an indication it was previously opened/used.

Shutter count: 0! if it is to be believed (used pentaxforums's shutter count utility)
Builds date: 09/2012

Handles so much better than it looks. Fotunately it's a camera not a date...no dilemmas about keeping it. Excellent pq even at high isos. No time tonight but I have a bunch of lenses to test on it.

Why does the 40mm xs focus ring spin during AF? (my zuiko pancake for MFT never did that)

Can anyone with both black and yellow versions comment on relative looks? Tx.
It certainly does handle well - it is a simple camera with reasonable access to needed control and nothing more, I like it! The focus ring turns because it is a mechanical coupling. 4/3 and micro 4/3 lenses are focus by wire - unless set to manual focus the motor is internal and doesn't require turning the actual focus ring. Yellow is better!
02-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Will do, once I figure out where to find build date and shutter count.
See here:

Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
02-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Shutter count: 0! if it is to be believed (used pentaxforums's shutter count utility)
Builds date: 09/2012

Can anyone with both black and yellow versions comment on relative looks? Tx.
Same build and shutter as my black one.

I think they all look great. The yellow one really grows on you. I'd put white as my 3d choice but be equally happy with black or yellow.

02-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Pentax doesn't do sticky things on their cameras, so that is not an indication it was previously opened/used.

It certainly does handle well - it is a simple camera with reasonable access to needed control and nothing more, I like it! The focus ring turns because it is a mechanical coupling. 4/3 and micro 4/3 lenses are focus by wire - unless set to manual focus the motor is internal and doesn't require turning the actual focus ring. Yellow is better!
1. Good to know packaging is standard. The shutter count also alleviated my mild concern.

2. Still haven't really had time to explore the camera. The manual controls weren't as intuitive for me particularly for zooming on the fly. I will figure out this evening.

3. Random observation: A lens as beautifully crafted as the 40mm xs deserves a better lens cap than a threadless 1-cent plastic bucket. Insulting to the engineers who built the device. And after my experience with Olympus mft cam/lens, the aesthetics/materials/finish etc of Pentax are bit of a downer. None of that will matter I suppose as long as the pics and handling are top rate. ps: I wouldn't want Pentaxians to take this observation the wrong way (I've exited mft myself for the k).
02-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3. Random observation: A lens as beautifully crafted as the 40mm xs deserves a better lens cap than a threadless 1-cent plastic bucket. Insulting to the engineers who built the device. And after my experience with Olympus mft cam/lens, the aesthetics/materials/finish etc of Pentax are bit of a downer. None of that will matter I suppose as long as the pics and handling are top rate. ps: I wouldn't want Pentaxians to take this observation the wrong way (I've exited mft myself for the k).
The K-01 is so different from any other Pentax product that I don't think you can draw any conclusions about aesthetics/materials/finish for the brand as a whole, except that they are willing to be different (time will tell if the response to the K-01 has blunted that willingness).

Most Pentax lenses have standard plastic caps. The Limiteds have metal caps. I think the 40 XS' rubber press-on cap was a low-profile solution for the small filter size, which in turn was part of the cosmetic design. A number of us have replaced the rubber cap with a fifty-cent generic plastic snap-on cap. It sticks out a little further, but you don't worry (or care) about losing it.
02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The K-01 is so different from any other Pentax product that I don't think you can draw any conclusions about aesthetics/materials/finish for the brand as a whole, except that they are willing to be different (time will tell if the response to the K-01 has blunted that willingness).

Most Pentax lenses have standard plastic caps. The Limiteds have metal caps. I think the 40 XS' rubber press-on cap was a low-profile solution for the small filter size, which in turn was part of the cosmetic design. A number of us have replaced the rubber cap with a fifty-cent generic plastic snap-on cap. It sticks out a little further, but you don't worry (or care) about losing it.
My apologies....I didn't mean to criticize the front cap as much as the rear cap covering the mount. For whatever reason, the flimsy plastic with no inscription aggravated me a bit.
02-12-2013, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #113
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My apologies....I didn't mean to criticize the front cap as much as the rear cap covering the mount. For whatever reason, the flimsy plastic with no inscription aggravated me a bit.
No apology needed! Yes, the rear 'Tupperware' cap is rather cheap-looking (some people have also criticized the clear plastic body cap as being cheap). I actually prefer the 'Tupperware' caps in the field, where they are easy to snap on/off without having to fiddle with aligning marks (Tamron and especially Sigma caps drive me crazy).

02-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #114
Inactive Account

Delivery notice.

The yellow brick arrived at my road today. The battery is charging, the firmware update is on the sd card. I will introduce it to the black brick at a photo op tonight.
Joe
02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Your Amazon.com order of "Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C..." has shipped!

Your estimated delivery date is:

Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Arriving via FedEx
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #116
Forum Member

My white K-01 kit arrived from B&H today. I am charging the battery now
02-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #117
Veteran Member

35 days since I ordered yellow brick from Amazon. This is the longest time I waited for any order since I ordered my istD 10 years ago.
Some things change, but not Pentax I guess...
02-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #118
Pentaxian

tupperware cap

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
No apology needed! Yes, the rear 'Tupperware' cap is rather cheap-looking (some people have also criticized the clear plastic body cap as being cheap). I actually prefer the 'Tupperware' caps in the field, where they are easy to snap on/off without having to fiddle with aligning marks (Tamron and especially Sigma caps drive me crazy).
Use multiple "tupperware caps" as bumps on the back of beautiful enlargements made from K-01 pics......

02-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #119
Pentaxian

Ordered Dec. 28th

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
35 days since I ordered yellow brick from Amazon. This is the longest time I waited for any order since I ordered my istD 10 years ago.
Some things change, but not Pentax I guess...
Just shipped today! Was concerned because of its now discontinued status at B&H.....

02-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Just shipped today! Was concerned because of its now discontinued status at B&H.....

BH always jumps the gun on marking things discontinued...often it ends up being their alternate term for out of stock. Discontinued is of itself a strange word when it comes to camera bodies - the reality is the stock we are buying now was made months ago and the K-01 production line has likely already stopped running for just as long.