Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi Speed Raw on K-01

Don't know if anyone else has discovered this but...

I shoot a lot of HDR. That means everything is exposure bracketed. I also shoot hand held which means I need a high frame rate. I thought when I got the K-01 that would mean I'd have to shoot jpeg to get a high speed burst out of the camera for bracketing. And that's what I've been doing since I got the camera a week ago.

Today I was doing some portraits of my daughter at the local botanical gardens so I had the drive in single shot mode and the file format in raw. I saw a scene that I wanted to HDR so I set the drive on exposure bracket. I forgot to change to jpeg because it's not part of my routine yet. Anyway, the camera fired off the three shots in rapid succession. It was 6 frames per second speed, just like I would expect when shooting jpegs. Except I realized after that I wasn't shooting jpegs, it was RAW! So the camera can do a high speed burst of raw for at least 3 frames.

After this I tried raw+jpeg and it shot high speed also as a bracket. It didn't sound quite as fast as raw alone but it was definitely faster than the 1 frame per second I thought I should get. So now the camera is a much better tool for me for HDR. And if you wanted to get a 3 frame raw burst you could bracket at 1/3 stop and just adjust in post. Kind of mickey mouse but it can be done.

When I got home I tried the same thing on my Q. No go there. 1 frame per second on raw when bracketing. So I'll have to keep using jpeg on it for HDR.

01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Don't know if anyone else has discovered this but...

I shoot a lot of HDR. That means everything is exposure bracketed. I also shoot hand held which means I need a high frame rate. I thought when I got the K-01 that would mean I'd have to shoot jpeg to get a high speed burst out of the camera for bracketing. And that's what I've been doing since I got the camera a week ago.

Today I was doing some portraits of my daughter at the local botanical gardens so I had the drive in single shot mode and the file format in raw. I saw a scene that I wanted to HDR so I set the drive on exposure bracket. I forgot to change to jpeg because it's not part of my routine yet. Anyway, the camera fired off the three shots in rapid succession. It was 6 frames per second speed, just like I would expect when shooting jpegs. Except I realized after that I wasn't shooting jpegs, it was RAW! So the camera can do a high speed burst of raw for at least 3 frames.

After this I tried raw+jpeg and it shot high speed also as a bracket. It didn't sound quite as fast as raw alone but it was definitely faster than the 1 frame per second I thought I should get. So now the camera is a much better tool for me for HDR. And if you wanted to get a 3 frame raw burst you could bracket at 1/3 stop and just adjust in post. Kind of mickey mouse but it can be done.

When I got home I tried the same thing on my Q. No go there. 1 frame per second on raw when bracketing. So I'll have to keep using jpeg on it for HDR.
The K-01 has a fast processor- I believe they've just down-tuned it because of the K-01's low price. Once they put it in a high-end DSLR I'm sure they'll unlock its full power!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

As they did in the K-30?
01-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use it mainly for portraits, to have that all eyes open shot:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/188844-raw-3-frames-6fps.html

01-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Would be great if they added it in a firmware update. Especially because of the CD AF, this might be a great option. Just spam away with the photos until you get a couple in focus.
01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Would be great if they added it in a firmware update. Especially because of the CD AF, this might be a great option. Just spam away with the photos until you get a couple in focus.
Simply allowing bracketing to Zero (0) EV would be all that is necessary !
01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If you have already updated the firmaware, maybe you should try setting the AF to spot. Works way better instead of it focusing on whatever random point when you press the shutter release.
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh, I know that the K-01's focusing is usually very accurate, but it is often too slow on moving objects, and a fast burst rate might help there