Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that the number of bits per second on the card is a function of compression ratios. Five years ago, 18 mps would have shown some viewable artifacts in H.264, but improvements in how the image is compressed have resulted in much better image quality. Stated mps for K30 is incorrect - having done the tests myself, it is in fact around 18 mps (varies with the scene). However, you should view HD videos online (YouTube) and judge for yourself. Keep in mind those are reformulated and compressed, so they are not as good as what you get out of the camera. Here is a promo of the K-01 shot with it (audio clearly dubbed); biggest difference is the K30 does not have as long-life of a battery:
PENTAX - K-01 Yellow or directly at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kv-xR6tVFU&feature=youtu.be#.UPXGD_7YO-g.email (be sure to set to 1080 for HD).
See the wedding speech link - behind the scenes which is linked on that page. For me, this is adequate IQ, just a little below broadcast grade.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 01-15-2013 at 03:31 PM.
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So much to read.....
I hear the K-01 takes longer video then most DSLRs, is this true??
Also how long can it record on battery on video?
If this records video for hour on battery this would be a bonus for me!
Only thing I find online is specs. It's why I ask here.

Also reason I need one with K mount is because I taken videos in low light with f/1.7 50mm Pentax lens and LOVED IT! It worked so great I had a 3CCD camcorder open to f/1.8 and did not work the same it was darker.

Okay I saw that link to video ScooterMaxi Jim posted....12 hours of video taking? (Flips out!) I WANT!!

Last edited by Pentaxguy22; 01-15-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Saw video!
01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #33
Pentaxian

It would be hard to beat the battery life on the K-01 (same as the K-5 unit, cheap and widely available for spares). Keep in mind the K30 battery is not as long lived. I don't shoot a lot of video, but I am yet to hear of any serious problems with the sensor over-heating causing a sudden shut down. I have shot for 50 minutes out of a full hour in warm conditions without a problem. This is a bigger concern than battery life, which is more predictable. So, yes, you have more than decent endurance.

No doubt about it, the 50mm f/1.7 from m-series on up to current is a very impressive lens and will work especially well for video. I have an f/1.4, but the f/1.7 gets a slight edge for overall contrast and sharpness at wide open.
03-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

If video is important to you then the GH series from Panasonic are the only cameras that have video as their primary function, the sensor is a video sensor and the they have the fast processor necessary to keep up with very high bit depths. The GH2 can work at 45Mb/S with the latest firmware and the GH3 can do it out of the box.

You can hack these to even higher bit depths, just for fun I tried 175Mb/S and the camera was stable at that, but I did need a UHS Class 1 SD card and it filled a 16Gb card in a little over 10 minutes.

It's a pointless exercise unless you have access to a 16bit projector or viewing device as only they can show you all the detail recorded in the video file. I, luckily, have a friend who is the manager of our local cinema and when we put this video file through his 16bit projector both our jaws dropped, it was almost like looking at an iMax movie - almost. Every part of the image carried detail on his 40ft screen.

There is no point in uploading this 16Gb file to YouTube or even Vimeo as they don't allow such large files and most people will be viewing it on an 8bit monitor or TV. Even the out of the box 45Mb/S available is overkill for most viewers equipment.

With the GH2 or GH3 we are talking a camera in the 1,000 bracket, for the current price the K-01 has to be a bargain, it's not perfect by any means, but for sheer image quality it's impossible to beat at it's current price and it does allow for Manual Mode in video. It's bit depth in video is enough for most peoples viewing equipment and for sharing on the Web.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 03-21-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: addition
03-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #35
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
but I am yet to hear of any serious problems with the sensor over-heating causing a sudden shut down. I have shot for 50 minutes out of a full hour in warm conditions without a problem. This is a bigger concern than battery life, which is more predictable
I've never run into the issue here. I've taken extremely long video sessions with the Pentax K-01 in all sorts of weather. But to narrow it down a bit for this posting; video in places like Death Valley, in the desserts in and around Vegas, etc... Never ran into the sensor overheat issue, as has happened with the original design K-5

As for video in general... Unfortunately even in the top of the line Canon DSLR based 4k video - that very few cameras of this type will ever come anywhere near close to the 3x ccd sensors; mostly because how their sensors are split between different colors
03-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luker Quote
My opinion-the camera that felt good in your hand , with a cheap lens, will work better for you than a camera that you don't like, with a great lens.

Besides, you can find other lenses.
I agree...
I have a K-5 and a K-01 in the post.
The K-30 is a great camera with room to grow
03-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Danas -- the K-01? Buy it. It's cheap. It's a great deal.

Here's what it's about. You are a multimedia designer. Where photography or simple videography is PART of your work, but not the main part. So you don't need the newest, latest, bestest. But you DO need a good solid camera with very good image quality, like the K-01. And... if you have any money left over, some simple lighting equipment. Lighting is EVERYTHING. Check out CowboyStudio's NPT-04 wireless flash package (cheap, good) and a YongNuo 560 II flash (cheap, good), plus a white shoot-through 43" umbrella, and a silver 43" reflector umbrella, and an umbrella stand.

Good luck!
03-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #38

Original Poster
Hello!

Since this thread is still getting replies, well I went with K-30. The offer was hard to resist. On that sale when the one was buying K-30 with any WR lens the one would get Asus tablet as a gift and I liked K-30 more thank k-01, two e-dials, awesome hand grip for my hand. weather sealing and viewfinder and the sale deal took the winning place. thank you everyone for your input and advice.

04-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
Hello!

Since this thread is still getting replies, well I went with K-30. The offer was hard to resist. On that sale when the one was buying K-30 with any WR lens the one would get Asus tablet as a gift and I liked K-30 more thank k-01, two e-dials, awesome hand grip for my hand. weather sealing and viewfinder and the sale deal took the winning place. thank you everyone for your input and advice.

So after a month, how do you like your purchase? I'm currently considering the K30 and I am pretty much having the same dilemma you had, as a multimedia artist on a budget. How is it handling videos? What kind of shooting did you do so far? What can you say about the video image quality? Do you have video examples?

Thanks!
04-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Awsumgee Quote
Do you have video examples?
There are a lot of video examples on these forums as well as on youtube. Short films, recordings of sport events, video of hobby,..
04-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
hehe, my brain is already overheated, seems like picking a wife ....
if Pentax starts making wives, we will still be waiting for a full fame one