Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The wonderfull K-01

It is happening to all off us. We walk around a little to excited and we forget to change the settings from our camera. Leaving you with a setting that is not working and when you don't check images like I do, then you see at home what you made. I put my K-01 on M-mode, where I usually take it on TAv-mode and let the camera take controll off the iso-settings for the scenery. This was before a soccermatch in Eindhoven from the lady's off PSV/FCE. Just the warming up, so notting lost in real life. I don't do the warming-up on all games (went to all 14 games) and sometimes only do just one team to spread my workflow a little.

The K-01 with the FA31mm lens:

Settings: M-mode, f4,0 1/320th and iso250, AWB and color set to portrait in RAW.

Just added the logo and a little sharpening.

Now that I'm busy with my upcoming photo exhibition I'm looking for certain images So I only done the warming up just a few times and I'm also looking for certain players in the scene. I kept this one, just in case I wanted to play with it.

In LightRoom 4 I did the whole chabang to make it a worthwhile image and see if I can make it into an A3 print for my exhibition.

So, what did I do (not all in this same order):
  • An A3 cut-out for printing.
  • Set light to +3,6 EV.
  • Save highlights on +10.
  • Filllight on +15.
  • Black tones to +2 (so that is -3).
  • Contrast to +75.
  • Settings to black and white.
  • I didn't do anything to the black and white settings, but a little pushing there could make shadows very different.
  • Noise reduction Luminance to 15 (just a little, it is a clean plate and I don't want to smear it).
  • Sharpening to 50.
  • Lenscorrection profile set ON.
  • I made a brush with +0,50 EV and made the girl from the back a little brighter.
  • I made a brush with +0,50 EV and +20 on sharpening and painted the coach.
  • Made a print on A3 and it looks great.
  • Maybe I forgot some little thing, but can't be very important.
  • I run Lightroom in Dutch, so some naming may vary then my translation.

From this one I have an A3 print that needs to go in a passe-partout and a frame:

It is a pretty camera the Pentax K-01!

01-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An amazing transformation. RAW makes situations, and you're right thry happen to us all, easier to deal with and fix. Another nice photo.
01-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #3

Nice shot. Not sure if possible in lightroom. But in elements you can lighten up things, why not lighting it up? Due to the weather the b/w is great though.
01-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
Nice shot. Not sure if possible in lightroom. But in elements you can lighten up things, why not lighting it up? Due to the weather the b/w is great though.
You can do that with a brush and 'paint' where you want to change things. The weather was foggy and I'm glad that stayed in the image.

01-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You can do that with a brush and 'paint' where you want to change things. The weather was foggy and I'm glad that stayed in the image.

Yes true! The picture would've been less if it left, especially in black&white. If the fog was gone, the photo was&is much less interesting in my opinion.
01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wow, I love this photo regardless of how it was made. That it was rescued from such dire underexposure is amazing.
10-17-2015, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Aperrently this is iso-invariance.

http://improvephotography.com/34818/iso-invariance/

10-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by "lighten up". Any lighter, and it would have gone from way too dark to way too light.

---------- Post added 10-17-15 at 04:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Oh yes, I like the fog.

When I was in Jr. High (8th grade), I had to walk across a park on my way to school. One day the fog was so thick that I had no idea where I was going, and I ended up at a fence which I knew was a boundary of the park, perhaps 45 degrees from where I was supposed to be, so (of course) I just followed the fence to get back on course. The fog in this picture gives the same sense of making direction less certain than usual.