Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My One FW1.02 Wish: Assignable Focus Magnification

Please, Pentax, make focus magnification (what hitting the OK button does in MF mode) assignable to the Green or Red buttons!

This P&S upgrader bought the K-01 principally with the idea of rescuing some old MF lenses that belonged to his father. So I got the K-01+40mm pancake kit and have been experimenting with manual focus lenses since then. Although focus peaking is very helpful, I often find that if I use just that, the shot will be just slightly out of focus and I'll only discover it when I look at the image on my computer monitor after returning home. So I've taken to using magnification and with the combination of focus peaking and magnification, I can mostly achieve good shots, though I'm still learning.

But here's the rub. Holding a (sometimes heavy) MF lens on a viewfinder-less camera is much easier done with a grip that has me hitting the sutter with the thumb (the camera is at chest level or even a little lower). With this grip, having to reach to the back of the camera to hit the OK button is a real pain. I lose a lot of stability and it becomes difficult to keep the camera properly oriented, which makes achieving focus harder, then I need to hit OK again once I have focus to make sure my composition is still good, then come back to my original grip, all while attempting to move the camera as little as possible. In short, it's a pain and makes using MF lenses considerably less fun. If I could just hit the red button to do the same thing, things would be *so* much easier!

Thus a very simple firmware fix would make my experience with the camera about twice as pleasant. I love the IQ and this camera - my first Pentax - is halfway to making me a Pentaxian.

Here's hoping someone's listening...

01-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah! And while we're at it what about an option to adjust the amount of zoom (magnification) used, like 2x, 4x, 6x, or 8x?

I think these are perfectly reasonable programming adjustments...
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for agreeing, Mike. BTW, you can already change the amount of magnification (2x, 4x or 6x) after hitting OK by turning the e-dial, at least it works for me with FW1.01.

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-06-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo