Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Another interview with Marc Newson

I've been checking out online videos on the K-01 until such time as I can find the time to pick up mine from the courier's warehouse. Came across this interview with Newson by a British website, done at a press event last February. Did a quick search and didn't see it posted, so thought I'd share since I found it quite interesting. Interesting that it was designed under Hoya's ownership of Pentax and that it only took a year, amongst other tidbits.

I guess the prices we're seeing right now are a fire sale to move out the stock. The PF interview at Photokina also indicates that Pentax is likely ending this line. Too bad about that and that they flubbed the pricing. It seems that once people get it in their hands, many become quite fond of it. At this point, I think it would be interesting to see what another Pentax-Newson collaboration could produce and how the design could be taken to the next level.

01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to see a successor to the K-01. However, I would prefer Marc Newson stick to furniture and interior decorating. What is next, an Edie Bauer special edition of the K=5 IIs?
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool. And nice to see Marc wearing a "K-01" outfit for the interview.
01-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More Marc Newson here:

Last edited by ihasa; 01-07-2013 at 03:52 AM.
01-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

I have to admit that the K-01 is my second Marc Newson product, because I had the lime green version of the phone shown at 3:30. I think it was around 2004. Very nice phone. Very slim and futuristic looking and was functionally very good. The default alarm was a really loud yodel with a UFO appearing on the screen! The whole interface was eccentric but there was a minimalist theme too.

This is a link to the phones that were produced for the au design project. Click "prototypes" at the top for the ones that were too weird to produce.
KDDI au: au design project

I'd be very interested to see the other colour combinations they were considering for the K-01. And I fail to see why they decided the silver version was only suited to Europe. Perhaps they were saving it for a limited edition in Japan.
01-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

That's a really good interview. Wondering if limited edition colors is still something that's in the works.