Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
In manual mode it's worse - it has no relationship whatsoever to aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
What I wrote in a previous post [link]: in Manual mode the live histogram is a preview of the final histogram if the photo is made with the EV bar scale centered (neither overexposed nor underexposed).

It is a histogram preview, that changes according to the scene being viewed. It doesn't change with the exposure settings.

Cheers,

03-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
It doesn't change with the exposure settings.
... which is what makes it 100% useless in manual mode. Can't we just all agree on that already and move on? Pentax is not going to fix this in the K-01. All we can hope for is that somebody there gets a clue for upcoming models.
03-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
... which is what makes it 100% useless in manual mode. Can't we just all agree on that already and move on?
I can agree to disagree :-)

I happen to find it useful.

Cheers,

PS: Which doesn't mean it couldn't be better.
03-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
You can all agree or disagree that histogram (as implemented on K-01) is useful...
There is a fact histogram reflects live image. Since some people want it to try and guess histogram of the resulting image - it would be nice (and I'm already asking second time) to give an example camera, where this is implemented. That has to be the same type of the camera though - with interchangeable lens and live view.

03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
Forum Member

Live histogram different behaviours

QuoteOriginally posted by dgcom Quote
You can all agree or disagree that histogram (as implemented on K-01) is useful...
There is a fact histogram reflects live image. Since some people want it to try and guess histogram of the resulting image - it would be nice (and I'm already asking second time) to give an example camera, where this is implemented. That has to be the same type of the camera though - with interchangeable lens and live view.
The opening post was about the K-01's LCD viewfinder screen behaving as a WYSIWYG preview of the exposure settings. In short it doesn't. It was made only for viewing and focusing.

I argued that it is better that way because an overexposed or underexposed image on the screen (exposure preview) would make composition and focusing much harder, if not impossible.

The following posts were about the tools for assessing the impact of the exposure settings on the final image.

There's the EV scale bar, the overexposure and underexposure blinking alerts and the live histogram.

In Manual mode the live histogram isn't affected by the exposure settings. It predicts what the final histogram would be if the image were "correctly" exposed. Changes to the exposure settings are only reflected by the EV scale bar.

However, in Av mode, the live histogram has a different behaviour. It changes according to the exposure compensation setting.

The live histogram in Manual should behave in the same way.

In Manual mode, as it is, the live histogram can be used. But it would be much more useful if it changed according to the exposure settings. And I think such different behaviour in Manual mode is a bug.

Cheers,

PS: I hadn't noticed such difference in behaviours before, because I only use Manual mode.
03-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #51
ghl

Slocant,

Not only is the histogram behavior in manual stills mode absurd, it is not consistent with manual video mode behavior.

Map DOF preview to the red button, then in manual (stills) mode press it and keep it down. For a brief instant, the histogram displays the set exposure then snaps back to representing the live view.

In manual (video) mode do the same. You'll see that while DOF preview is active the histogram continually represents the exposure and does not quickly revert to representing the live view.