Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #1

Focus problems - display screen in focus result blurred

I just got a K-01 body and I am using it with some manual focus and aperture lenses. The display screen shows the picture as quite sharp but the resulting image is very soft.

I have turned off the shake reduction and the anti noise. The light was good and I was using a range of shutter speeds, from 1/200 to 1/2000

The lenses are old and maybe a bit soft, but not enough to explain this. The resulting image looks similar to when the lens is slightly off focus - as seen in the display.

I have tried a 28mm lens and a 135mm lens, the results are about the same.

Any thoughts on this ?

01-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phillean Quote
I just got a K-01 body and I am using it with some manual focus and aperture lenses. The display screen shows the picture as quite sharp but the resulting image is very soft.

I have turned off the shake reduction and the anti noise. The light was good and I was using a range of shutter speeds, from 1/200 to 1/2000

The lenses are old and maybe a bit soft, but not enough to explain this. The resulting image looks similar to when the lens is slightly off focus - as seen in the display.

I have tried a 28mm lens and a 135mm lens, the results are about the same.

Any thoughts on this ?
Let's see some sample pics. Is focus peaking confirming that what you want to be in focus is indeed in focus?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
Here is a crop from a 100% view, the 28mm lens is set at infinity and the objects are far enough for the lens focus to not be an issue. Lens - Cosinon 28mm F2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First off, the stuff in the foreground is overexposed, which is why it looks so blurry. The background appears to be properly focused, but according to reviews this lens isn't the sharpest thing around, especially wide-open. There's some ugly fringing around the edges of the house! For better detail, try shooting at ISO 100 also.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You were shooting in Av mode in that shot, meaning the aperture was wide open since the lens does not have any A contacts. That lens might not be very good at f2.8 and infinity. To get it to stop down normally you need to be in M mode and set the aperture on the lens.

I'm not too sure about the K-01, but my K-5 and K100D won't show a focal length in the EXIF if you turn off the shake reduction and use a manual focus lens. Your EXIF is showing 40mm, which is wrong for your lens, if the shake reduction is on it might be overcompensating and causing blur.
01-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
Adam and Elliot, thanks for your comments. It was very windy earlier so I used a fast setting trying to eliminate shake. The light is going now but the image has improved. Here is new version, f8, infinity, 1/125th iso 400. Maybe the lens is much softer than I thought. Tomorrow I will have access to a modern auto lens to compare with.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You're still in Av mode, the lens is not stopping down to f8 even though the ring is set at f8. You must be in M mode and use the green button to meter when you have a lens without A contacts.

Focal length is still set wrong too. Leave your shake reduction on and set your focal length properly.
01-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ok thanks I will try again tomorrow, it is dark outside now.

01-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
Another sample, morning

Focus peaking works on another lens, it does not seem to work on this one. The lens diaphragm is working in manual mode, I can see the tiny hole at f16.

In M mode the green button does not appear to change anything or give new readings.

A new photo, a couple of hours after sunrise, focal length set to 28 (same as the lens), anti shake on, focus at infinity, f16, 1/125, ISO 400

I found this discussion, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/179185-k-01-green-button.html which seems to be relevant, I am still trying to digest how this works.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Anyone have tested / used Aputure Gigtube LCD Viewfinder with K01? I am planning to buy one for low & high angle shot and for video on slider or dolly.