Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
The silver parts on the silver+black version, and the top of the black and the yellow versions, is that metal or silver paint?
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It's paint. I just got my first beauty mark (scuff) on the top of my Black Friday Black body, and the metal underneath is a lighter color.
It is painted metal. One of the selling points of the camera is the metal frame and the metal buttons and dials. The top and bottom plates and the mount protrusion are, I believe, polycarbonate.

05-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm interested to know that if the K-01 is considered in such an ordinary light by members on this forum, why aren't there at least some K-01 cameras being sold on the forum marketplace?

I haven't seen a K-01 on the marketplace for a while now, and I've been looking for one, so I'm checking the marketplace a few times a week...
05-04-2013, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To use it is to like it

to like it is to keep it!

I think the majority of those who hold it in "ordinary" regard are those who do not own own.

And even the most dissatisfied owners have the lower opinion tempered by the image quality and features of an incredibly inexpensive camera.
05-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
to like it is to keep it!

I think the majority of those who hold it in "ordinary" regard are those who do not own own.

And even the most dissatisfied owners have the lower opinion tempered by the image quality and features of an incredibly inexpensive camera.
+1

Also with the recent $250 kits, the resale value is pretty low right now.

05-04-2013, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

I am not a huge fan of digital. I still prefer my old film cameras. But the K-01 and the Q have become the two cameras I reach for first when I want to use digital. I just picked mine up on sale but it would still be a terrific little camera even if the price were higher. I can see why there are very few coming up for sale in the classifieds. In my opinion, the reviewers had it wrong. Sure, the little rubber door is a nuisance. Sure, the display will occasionally flare out in direct sunlight. Yeah, I wish the green button was easier to hit as well. But I have yet to see the perfect camera. They all have issues that irritate us. But the sum is a great camera, even with a couple minuses.

If you want one, hit the sales. I suspect that they will sell out pretty soon. Too bad they were discontinued but maybe it will turn into a cult collectible?
05-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1
I'm very impressed!

I saw the $250 deal post here on PF and thought this would make a great camera for my wife. We took it this weekend during a short trip to Australia (sadly to attend a funeral) because it is more compact than my K-5 (somewhat at least) and we expected to be taking some video.
Here are my first impressions of the K-01:
1. Indoor shooting (moderate light) the camera really shines! We did not use the flash at all and the images look fairly clean at ISO 3200 (for some reason better than I am seeing with my copy of the K-5).
2. The red button set up to shoot video is really great! I used to moan about camera reviews that criticised Pentax cameras because they did not have a one press video record button but now I'm sold - its such a convenient feature.
3. Focus peaking works pretty well with manual lenses indoors (outdoors is another matter).
4. We received a surprising number of complements and enquiries about the K-01. A lot of people genuinely like the look of it (ours is the yellow bumble bee version). And I'm warming to it all the time!
5. Outdoors image quality is excellent.
6. Battery life was perfectly adequate for us - we have 2 batteries but one was sufficient for a days casual shooting.
7. I quite like the feel of it in my hands. Once you get used to button placement, I think its pretty easy to use.
8. Automatic exposure is excellent. Perfect for my wife.
9. Auto focus accuracy (set to Contrast / single point) is also excellent.
10. Auto focus speed is better than I was expecting (from reviews I had read) and definitely good enough for general use.
11. Video quality is very good.

My one gripe (which is out weighed by the positive points), is that it is very difficult to shoot with manual focus lenses outdoors (at least on sunny days anyway). I gave up trying to use the A50 f1.7 we had with us outdoors and stuck with my old 18-55. Its just too hard to see focus peaking on the display in bright light without some sort of hood / shade.

That said I was surprised with the results with the kit lens - very much helped by focus and exposure being spot on. Example: Byron Bay Lighthouse - walkway | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

While it does not replace my K-5, I can see that my Wife may have to pry it out of my hands quite a bit!
05-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Considering the good reviews, Mark Newson and also the designers at Pentax, must be frustrated that this camera wasn't a success financially. I guess they already analyzed where it went wrong, and hopefully they are planning some sort of successor.

05-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #38

Thanks Marc Newson

I for one, hope that any successor to the K-01 is limited to a major firmware update rather than a new body.
My K-01 is almost everything I could desire but there are one or two additions I could think of that would make it closer to perfect.
ie. a sensor shift capability to mimic perspective control (if that is possible with current anti-shake system), plus a slightly higher profile release button (I have an adhesive plastic button fitted to raise mine and it makes so much difference)

Whatever, I will not be parted from my current body!
05-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I've got two D800E's, a K-5 and a K-01 and the camera I use the most is my K-01. I love that little camera.
05-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How on Earth did this camera fail?
05-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I guess that Marc Newson's design might be one reason why you could get this camera so cheaply...So he probably deserve praising for that, although not from Pentax...

I guess that a retro style camera with better ergonomics (e.g. tilt screen, touch functionality, perhaps EVF...) would have been much more successful.
05-05-2013, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How on Earth did this camera fail?
initial price. Just way too high, IMHO. I REALLY like my K-01 and its image quality. It's like a P&S on steroids...a LOT of steroids!
05-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
initial price. Just way too high, IMHO. I REALLY like my K-01 and its image quality. It's like a P&S on steroids...a LOT of steroids!
Yeah, me too. I pre-ordered it and I don't regret at all what I paid for it.
05-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ferdinand Quote
I guess that Marc Newson's design might be one reason why you could get this camera so cheaply...
The design is a plus, in my mind. The camera feels great in-hand...very solid...very easy to hold. It's not perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as some folks try to make it out to be.
05-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I don't think the camera failed. If anything, the consumer failed.