Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

K-01 what an upgrade!

Hello all, I am new to the forums but no to Pentax.

I have had the K-10d since it came out, plus a few zooms and primes.

My normal subjects are kids and nature, or both at the same time more likely!

I was really dissapointed when the K-01 came out, I wanted it to look like the new Fuji X series. Not a fan of the modern design.

Something happened over the last few years.... I found myself not taking as many pictures with my Pentax and using my iPhone more and more. Lazy, I know but at least pictures were getting taken.

I thought about selling the entire kit and jumping to Fuji but it was just too much of a price difference for our budget.

In any case, once the price dropped on the K-01 I thought why not downgrade from the K-10d. Man this is no kind of downgrade....!

The thought of LCD only was intimidating because of past experiences with focusing on LCD screens (I had an old Minolta prosumer that was a pain)

Our main output medium is a TV so there is no way to tell if you are 3600 or 100 ISO, which is crazy. I can shoot in the dark just about with some of my primes. I know that I could have gotten that with a K30, but again its out of the family budget.

Composing on the LCD is actually more convenient in almost every circumstance (except bright sunlight, have to work out the best way to deal with that) just like on an iPhone.

Also I now have teenagers and they have no baggage as to how you are 'supposed' to take pictures. It is interesting to see the workflow move from viewfinder to LCD...

I am pretty much used to the setup and this thing takes phenomenal pics.

The exposure is dead on, and the tungsten white balance compared to the K10 is amazing.

Overall, very happy with my purchase.

A K-01 and an ebay 50mm A version should be enough to get anyone into serious photography very inexpensively. I hope that Pentax keeps the mirrorless full lens idea alive in the future.

Jamey

01-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many issues people point out are with its speed to shoot or AF, and those rarely affect how I take pictures. For those who are able to take their time it's excellent, especially at current prices.
01-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I chase my kids around all the time with it, plenty fast

I am getting shots I could never get with my k-10d.... being able to get the shutter speed above 50 really helps!
01-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish I could buy a K-01 (at current price, itīs a still!) but I really want a DA10-17 and know this is the smart investment.. (Have no modern lenses except for the kit lens)

01-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your K-01, glad you are delighted with the camera. It is a steal at its current price and the sensor and software in it are top notch. Enjoy you newly rediscovered photography hobby.
01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's interesting how when the K-01 came out it was not well received largely because of the design, but now that the price is down people are getting their hands on it and enjoying the camera. Good to see the camera does two things for you: takes great pictures and gets you out taking pictures. Enjoy.
01-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
It's interesting how when the K-01 came out it was not well received largely because of the design, but now that the price is down people are getting their hands on it and enjoying the camera. Good to see the camera does two things for you: takes great pictures and gets you out taking pictures. Enjoy.
I own one now and still think the design is ....well....lousy frankly. It was not worth $700+ to me to have it as a backup to my K-5. However, for $300 with the 40XS its a great deal and I can live with the poor design issues because the sensor and Pentax menus and software are very solid.

01-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I own one now and still think the design is ....well....lousy frankly. It was not worth $700+ to me to have it as a backup to my K-5. However, for $300 with the 40XS its a great deal and I can live with the poor design issues because the sensor and Pentax menus and software are very solid.
I think that the ergonomics aren't as good as a k10 at all, but if you use small lenses it is much better. I am selling my 17-50 because it is way too much lens for this body. Going all primes (old and newer limiteds)
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Hello all, I am new to the forums but no to Pentax.

I have had the K-10d since it came out, plus a few zooms and primes.

My normal subjects are kids and nature, or both at the same time more likely!

I was really dissapointed when the K-01 came out, I wanted it to look like the new Fuji X series. Not a fan of the modern design.

Something happened over the last few years.... I found myself not taking as many pictures with my Pentax and using my iPhone more and more. Lazy, I know but at least pictures were getting taken.

I thought about selling the entire kit and jumping to Fuji but it was just too much of a price difference for our budget.

In any case, once the price dropped on the K-01 I thought why not downgrade from the K-10d. Man this is no kind of downgrade....!

The thought of LCD only was intimidating because of past experiences with focusing on LCD screens (I had an old Minolta prosumer that was a pain)

Our main output medium is a TV so there is no way to tell if you are 3600 or 100 ISO, which is crazy. I can shoot in the dark just about with some of my primes. I know that I could have gotten that with a K30, but again its out of the family budget.

Composing on the LCD is actually more convenient in almost every circumstance (except bright sunlight, have to work out the best way to deal with that) just like on an iPhone.

Also I now have teenagers and they have no baggage as to how you are 'supposed' to take pictures. It is interesting to see the workflow move from viewfinder to LCD...

I am pretty much used to the setup and this thing takes phenomenal pics.

The exposure is dead on, and the tungsten white balance compared to the K10 is amazing.

Overall, very happy with my purchase.

A K-01 and an ebay 50mm A version should be enough to get anyone into serious photography very inexpensively. I hope that Pentax keeps the mirrorless full lens idea alive in the future.

Jamey
Regarding bright sunlight, I found that when I turned the display brightness all the way up, I no longer had a problem. I can see the display clearly, well enough to focus manually, with the sun behind me shining directly on the display.
01-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

lcd brightness

QuoteOriginally posted by jim6522 Quote
Regarding bright sunlight, I found that when I turned the display brightness all the way up, I no longer had a problem. I can see the display clearly, well enough to focus manually, with the sun behind me shining directly on the display.
That works well for me too but uses the battery a lot faster. I forget to turn it down. A spare battery is an easy fix. I also use an old voigtlander vf which has multiple adjustments and just requires a bit of tweaking. A bit like the 10d comment, I find it a complete high quality upgrade from a 200d, which I sold with 2 cheap lenses and covered the cost of the K-01. Great camera.
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by halogen Quote
That works well for me too but uses the battery a lot faster. I forget to turn it down. A spare battery is an easy fix.
Good point, though that wouldn't be a problem for me, even if I didn't have a spare battery. I just don't take enough pictures in one day to drain the battery, even with the brightness turned up. I put a new aftermarket battery in the camera right after I turned up the brightness, and it lasted for 5 days and 175 shots, plus some video. That was with me spending a lot of time going through menus and experimenting with various settings, and also much reviewing of pictures (heavy pixel peeping).

I considered the lack of a VF to be a negative at first, but now I don't miss it at all. If Pentax comes out with a new version with hybrid AF and a decent burst rate, I may never again feel the need for a camera with a VF.
01-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote

Welcome Jamey, I partially resolved the bright sunlight issue with a LCD flipup sunshade from Delkin products. They come in black and silver and various sizes. It also serves as a LCD protector and is removable. Happy shooting...Cliff
01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Welcome Jamey, I partially resolved the bright sunlight issue with a LCD flipup sunshade from Delkin products. They come in black and silver and various sizes. It also serves as a LCD protector and is removable. Happy shooting...Cliff
I like the delkin lcd cover too. Seems like the easiest solution to me
01-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Glad you're enjoying it.
After purchasing the K-01 for its insane low prices recently I found it to be a revelation.
I'd switched to a split screen for my manual lenses on my old KX and didn't realize how badly it affected exposure until I got to use the K-01. It exposes marvelously on almost all circumstances.
WB is dead on a lot more often than the KX
I find not much difference in focusing speed although I am using light weight screw drive primes that focus very fast.
Focus Peaking is an awesome tool if you're into legacy glass too.
And with no mirror, I find the focusing accuracy with my AF lenses is much much more accurate. No more having to global fine adjust my Limiteds to get that perfect focus.
Outside of sports photography. I find the K-01 a much better tool for my needs.
Glare outdoors is the only problem on occasion, but I too find the pros far outweigh the negatives of this camera.
01-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm about to put the OEM screen back in my K-x, because for manual focus I always (always always ALWAYS) use the K-01 now. I did notice the K-x consistently over-exposes with the split prism, but lived with it and almost always had exposure compensation to -0.7. Looking forward to having it work normally again.

Charles.