Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
True, as far as it goes but I do think that form took precedence over function on this. Look at the Flash button placement for instance. It's right where your finger naturally rests when holding the left side of the camera.
Interesting point of view. You see, I never hold the left side of my camera, so this was never an issue for me. My left hand is always used (for the sake of better stability) to rest the camera on the palm, while my thumb and Index fingers handle lens controls. The K-01 actually feels wonderful to hold that way !

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There is room above the AF/MF switch or even on the back of the camera.
Yes indeed, and this is where Pentax has put the flash button on my K10D, that works nice too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The shutter button is the hardest to consistently press of any camera I have owned because of its design and that was driven by looks.
Never been an issue for me :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There is no thumb rest in an effort to keep the lines smooth and uniform, again not functional but it does make it prettier.
I actually favor the un-cluttered design of the K-01. I hate those cameras where you can't hold the thing w/o hitting some button !

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There I'll try to look for something positive from a design standpoint, and all I come up with is the redesigned lens release button - I like that a lot.
To me the square design is more of an asset than a detriment. It is extremely handy when you need to rest the camera against a wall or a surface to gains additional stability, and I don't mind the feel of the camera in my hand. The clean look is refreshing and is awesome with Ltd lenses attached. The size makes handling for stability easier, especially with larger lenses. The mode select control provides a very positive action, which won't switch on you accidently and has a nice tactile feel due to its aluminum alloy material. All controls provide a quality feel and positive response.... I guess for one I like the design ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Still, at the end of the day they put a killer sensor and some good electronics inside that produce very nice images.


01-11-2013, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,909
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Interesting point of view. .... ;-)
I agree completely with everything you wrote - but I am content to use my camera and let others offer their own valid opinions.

It is just unfortunate for Pentax (and I think they were actually blind-sided by the negative response) that the phtotographic review media, aided and abetted by camera enthusiasts in general and Pentax enthusiasts in particular, were so immediately and vocally negative before they even had a chance to handle the camera.

With such a radical design Pentax might have done a better job of hands-on pre-marketing with reviewers and early-adopter users; more co-op ad buying; and priced it more realistically.

But that's Pentax, eh?
01-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,447
+1

For better or worse, that's Pentax.

I must admit, in the 4+ months I've used a K-01, it has not once occurred to me that the flash button might be in a bad position. To my hands, the "natural" position for the left hand (if not on the lens) is with index finger curled over the front top corner, not rear. I can't say why, it just feels right to me. I guess Pentax designed the K-01 just for me - in which case, I feel guilty for not buying one sooner!
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #49
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
Well, at 400+ photos with the K-01 the battery was showing 3/4 full. I was concerned because of the extensive use of the LCD and the always on issue but it seems to be doing a pretty good job of using its energy conservatively. Glad it takes the K-5 battery too. I got a new Pentax OEM battery included and they sell for $59 and seems sold out everywhere. This deal just keep getting better when I analyze it - K-01 body, 40XS lens, D-Li90 battery, charger, software, "designer" strap , and all for $315 including shipping. Sell off the 40XS and cost for the K-01 + D-Li90 battery is $150ish. Wow.

01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 27
I got my K-01 as a gift, and at a month in I like it so far. Regor's comments above, especially about one-hand holding, which was my way of using film cameras for years, the other hand free to cradle/control the lens. It is ideal for that. I find the rubber door fiddly but adequate, and the green button issue a bit vexing. The flash/trash button is fine where it is for me though. I have been using my camera with older manual lenses, so my experience may not be very typical for AF users. Also another atypical point is I am extremely nearsighted, so the lack of an OVF or EVF is no issue unless I wear contacts.

This BTW is my third dip into digital, the other two being disasters due to early adoption and early camera failures - both failures outside the warranty, however!
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,909
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
+1

For better or worse, that's Pentax.

I must admit, in the 4+ months I've used a K-01, it has not once occurred to me that the flash button might be in a bad position. To my hands, the "natural" position for the left hand (if not on the lens) is with index finger curled over the front top corner, not rear. I can't say why, it just feels right to me. I guess Pentax designed the K-01 just for me - in which case, I feel guilty for not buying one sooner!
I naturally hold a camera the way I was taught 45 years ago, with my left hand supporting the bottom plate on my palm and my thumb and forefinger touching the lens' focusing ring. I very easily adapted this to an 'elbows in' eyes on the LCD position for the K-01.

I think if Pentax had thought about coaching users on shooting with the K-01 they way they did in 60's and 70's User Manuals we (K-01 users) would all be better off.
01-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,645
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well, at 400+ photos with the K-01 the battery was showing 3/4 full. I was concerned because of the extensive use of the LCD and the always on issue but it seems to be doing a pretty good job of using its energy conservatively. Glad it takes the K-5 battery too. I got a new Pentax OEM battery included and they sell for $59 and seems sold out everywhere. This deal just keep getting better when I analyze it - K-01 body, 40XS lens, D-Li90 battery, charger, software, "designer" strap , and all for $315 including shipping. Sell off the 40XS and cost for the K-01 + D-Li90 battery is $150ish. Wow.
That is a good deal. I sold both my 40XS lenses, no need for them. Making the deal on the body fairly good.
01-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #53
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is a good deal. I sold both my 40XS lenses, no need for them. Making the deal on the body fairly good.
Your love of your Yellow K-01 is part of why I took the deal on the yellow one, thanks.

01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,447
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I naturally hold a camera the way I was taught 45 years ago, with my left hand supporting the bottom plate on my palm and my thumb and forefinger touching the lens' focusing ring. I very easily adapted this to an 'elbows in' eyes on the LCD position for the K-01.

I think if Pentax had thought about coaching users on shooting with the K-01 they way they did in 60's and 70's User Manuals we (K-01 users) would all be better off.
I was shocked when someone pointed out that I hold my camera "upside down" for portrait orientation (right hand underneath). I had to go back to my ME Super manual, where landscape was option A, right-hand-down was option B, and left-hand-down was option C. Some time after that, B and C were swapped, then the third option dropped entirely. I was still doing it 'by the book'.
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #55
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2
I bought mine for 299.00 last week in Australia to replace a K 200 which I had become increasingly frustrated with, poor close up eye sight. No lcd except on review. Never been really satisfied with the image quality, but a good camera. I really do think that considering the superb image quality of the K-01 and the k mount factor coupled with an exceptional price, the criticisms should evaporate. Have you seen the price of Holga cameras? I was worried about the vf but remembered that I had picked up an old one, which I nearly threw out. It's a voigtlander turnit 3 from the late 50's. Easy to google. It's not perfect but with a bit of a tweak works well for me. I have a lot of M and M42 lenses and like manual so with focus peaking it works well for me. My only criticism is the location of the green button. Does anyone have a technique for quick pressing while viewing?
01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #56
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by halogen Quote
I bought mine for 299.00 last week in Australia to replace a K 200 which I had become increasingly frustrated with, poor close up eye sight. No lcd except on review. Never been really satisfied with the image quality, but a good camera. I really do think that considering the superb image quality of the K-01 and the k mount factor coupled with an exceptional price, the criticisms should evaporate. Have you seen the price of Holga cameras? I was worried about the vf but remembered that I had picked up an old one, which I nearly threw out. It's a voigtlander turnit 3 from the late 50's. Easy to google. It's not perfect but with a bit of a tweak works well for me. I have a lot of M and M42 lenses and like manual so with focus peaking it works well for me. My only criticism is the location of the green button. Does anyone have a technique for quick pressing while viewing?
Interesting unit, I had not seen one like that before.
01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #57
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 191
Interesting turn the discussion have taken on the internets about the K-01 now that a lot of people have actually bought one. Certainly many of the early adopters don't regret the purchase. Still, I find there's a lot of discussion that's analagous to pixel-peeping -- trying to find something wrong for the sake of finding something wrong.

Regarding the shape -- I think it's actually quite functional. Consider the soap bar gripless design of a camera like the lower end Nikon 1 System cameras, or a lot of other cameras for which someone then designs and sells an aftermarket stick-on grip. The K-01 has quite a stylized grip, but a grip nonetheless that works for one-handed shooting. Plus it does house a sizeable battery that consequently gives pretty good battery life. It's clearly not meant to be a deep grip like a DSLR.

Regarding the rubber doors -- a bit fiddly but otherwise a non-issue. I haven't seen anyone raise this about the port door on the left of the K-5/K-7 -- either as a complaint as an area of possible weakness or actually having it break. It's the same kind of rubber hinge. My dad has an old Canon Elf with the same kind of hinge on the battery/memory card door; I've got an Cowon MP3 player with the same kind of hinge on the door -- neither have broken after 5-7 years of use. Will something with the K-01 eventually break? Of course, just like any other consumer good.

Regarding the design -- I find that it does have an interesting retro-future (as someone else here has called) aesthetic. Most notably the rubber grips. Whereas the one used to find textured leather (or the fake equivalent) instead we have the very regular vertical ridges. I find this an interesting and functional update to the older design. This kind of design is new ground for Pentax and is quite a stand out amongst present manufacturers (the Hasselblad Lunar is the only other camera like it and I don't think holds up very well in comparison, although it's reputedly quite nice to hold in the hand). It looks like Pentax is going to make the K-01 a one-off foray into designer cameras, but I'd be interested to see what they could do, along with Newson, to further refine the design, much like they've further refined their other digital cameras from one generation to the next.

I had mine out the other day to shoot an outdoor event. It had the 55-300 on it, to pull in shots from the stage while I had the 18-135 on the K-5 for close-ups and wide angles. Faster than having to fuss with changing a lens, and image quality is great, so I don't think I'll regret the purchase. I have to say that I am still learning lots about photography, I'm coming from a point and shoot background and at this point am not a terribly technical shooter.
01-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #58
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Interesting turn the discussion have taken on the internets about the K-01 now that a lot of people have actually bought one. Certainly many of the early adopters don't regret the purchase. Still, I find there's a lot of discussion that's analagous to pixel-peeping -- trying to find something wrong for the sake of finding something wrong.

Regarding the shape -- I think it's actually quite functional. Consider the soap bar gripless design of a camera like the lower end Nikon 1 System cameras, or a lot of other cameras for which someone then designs and sells an aftermarket stick-on grip. The K-01 has quite a stylized grip, but a grip nonetheless that works for one-handed shooting. Plus it does house a sizeable battery that consequently gives pretty good battery life. It's clearly not meant to be a deep grip like a DSLR.

Regarding the rubber doors -- a bit fiddly but otherwise a non-issue. I haven't seen anyone raise this about the port door on the left of the K-5/K-7 -- either as a complaint as an area of possible weakness or actually having it break. It's the same kind of rubber hinge. My dad has an old Canon Elf with the same kind of hinge on the battery/memory card door; I've got an Cowon MP3 player with the same kind of hinge on the door -- neither have broken after 5-7 years of use. Will something with the K-01 eventually break? Of course, just like any other consumer good.

Regarding the design -- I find that it does have an interesting retro-future (as someone else here has called) aesthetic. Most notably the rubber grips. Whereas the one used to find textured leather (or the fake equivalent) instead we have the very regular vertical ridges. I find this an interesting and functional update to the older design. This kind of design is new ground for Pentax and is quite a stand out amongst present manufacturers (the Hasselblad Lunar is the only other camera like it and I don't think holds up very well in comparison, although it's reputedly quite nice to hold in the hand). It looks like Pentax is going to make the K-01 a one-off foray into designer cameras, but I'd be interested to see what they could do, along with Newson, to further refine the design, much like they've further refined their other digital cameras from one generation to the next.

I had mine out the other day to shoot an outdoor event. It had the 55-300 on it, to pull in shots from the stage while I had the 18-135 on the K-5 for close-ups and wide angles. Faster than having to fuss with changing a lens, and image quality is great, so I don't think I'll regret the purchase. I have to say that I am still learning lots about photography, I'm coming from a point and shoot background and at this point am not a terribly technical shooter.

I appreciate your thoughts and that you enjoy your K-01, I enjoy mine too. However, I take exception to the assertion that some of us are "trying to find something wrong for the sake of finding something wrong." That is simply not the case for me, at least. I am a big fan of many of the camera's I have owned from Pentax. That does not make me a Fan Boy or a Choir Member that spouts Polyanna about everything Pentax. The K-01 is a dog of a camera, period. Sales and the fact that they spent a fortune on the designer and the camera had to drop to $299 WITH the 40XS lens to actually clear out the warehouses tells a huge story. As I said, if I did not own K-Mount lenses and intend to use the K-01 essentially as you described you yourself use it, I would not own it - there are far too many better stand-alone MILCs available. As for the door, I have owned several items with similar plastic strips that worked as semi-hinges that have failed rather quickly. Time will tell.
01-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #59
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 191
Certainly except yourself from my generalization if it does not apply to you.

I think we can say that Pentax has a highly dysfunctional marketing department, which includes setting the too-high introductory price for the K-01. Again to make another analogy, the K-01 is sort of like a movie that doesn't fit into the typical boxes that Hollywood presents, which then gets mismarketed, or dropped like a hot potato and goes straight to video, or in this case stockpiled in the warehouse. To me, that's what the current fire sale says, since in actual use, the K-01 has a lot going for it. When you say it's a dog, surely you mean it's man's best friend?

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I appreciate your thoughts and that you enjoy your K-01, I enjoy mine too. However, I take exception to the assertion that some of us are "trying to find something wrong for the sake of finding something wrong." That is simply not the case for me, at least. I am a big fan of many of the camera's I have owned from Pentax. That does not make me a Fan Boy or a Choir Member that spouts Polyanna about everything Pentax. The K-01 is a dog of a camera, period. Sales and the fact that they spent a fortune on the designer and the camera had to drop to $299 WITH the 40XS lens to actually clear out the warehouses tells a huge story. As I said, if I did not own K-Mount lenses and intend to use the K-01 essentially as you described you yourself use it, I would not own it - there are far too many better stand-alone MILCs available. As for the door, I have owned several items with similar plastic strips that worked as semi-hinges that have failed rather quickly. Time will tell.
01-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,385
Good review Docrwm.

I got my K-01 in mid-March last year. It was probably one of the first in Australia. It was the only camera I took on a trip to Argentina soon after (with DA10-17, Sigma17-50, DA40, FA50/1.4, FA77 and DA55-300) and it performed wonderfully. The brick shape made it very easy to slip in and out of a camera bag among other things. The ergonomics never really bothered me.

Now I have a Q system as well I rarely use it: it mainly gets a gig as a third camera at concert shoots, where it comes into its own with the DA10-17 for taking crowd shots while the K-5's usually carry a standard and tele zoom for the business shots. It is also my go-to video camera.

Even though I paid the early adopter price I haven't regretted buying it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, image, imho, k-01, k-5, k-mount, k01, lens, lenses, mirrorless, pentax, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm surprised how little of a deal it was when I pulled out my K-01 (in a good way) Codazzle Pentax K-01 10 01-03-2013 07:18 PM
Well, I own them both now. ChopperCharles Pentax K-01 7 12-17-2012 11:27 PM
Shooting with a K-01 if I hate live view on my K-5? Codazzle Pentax K-01 16 12-12-2012 07:28 PM
Some thoughts as a new owner of K-01 elpolodiablo Pentax K-01 15 06-18-2012 07:51 PM
I now own a k20d jmbower Pentax DSLR Discussion 30 10-05-2009 12:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top