Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #61
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
I just want to add, I don't own any K-mount lenses, but I'm now a happy owner of a K01. I shot with the NEX 5N previously, great camera and handling in its own right, but in a strange way, I actually prefer the heft, solid build and unique design of the K01. Given the size of the lenses, the NEX 5N wasn't pocketable anyway, so I don't have a problem with the larger size of the K01 body and the large K mount lens selection makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable. At the end of the day, the current price point plays a big part in one's overall expectations and feelings towards the K01. If I purchased this camera at the initial rrp, I would probably have a lot more gripes.

I also bought and sold the Q in a matter of one week, preferred the K01.


Last edited by BigMike; 01-14-2013 at 11:30 PM.
01-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #62
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,864
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The brick shape made it very easy to slip in and out of a camera bag among other things.
I think this is actually very important. In terms of size and weight, its not much smaller than a K-r, but it fits into bags and pockets so much nicer.
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,430
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I was shocked when someone pointed out that I hold my camera "upside down" for portrait orientation (right hand underneath). I had to go back to my ME Super manual, where landscape was option A, right-hand-down was option B, and left-hand-down was option C. Some time after that, B and C were swapped, then the third option dropped entirely. I was still doing it 'by the book'.
Sux to be this old, don't it? We're correct but we're still wrong.
02-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #64
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yorktown, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 102
My reactions to the points raised within this thread:

- The rubber door: It was noted that the K-7/5 also have rubber doors. Yes, but not doors that must be opened to download photos. I never touch the one on my K-7. There is no way to get the pix out of the K-01 (card or cable) without opening this rubber door. I think the rubber door is the major design fail of this camera. I'm still in love with it (arrived today, mind you).

- The Mark Whatshisname factor: Doesn't bother me.

- Lack of viewfinder: Agree that at original price point, would have been a factor. At $300 plus change, meh. Would love to find a deal on one of those cool, retro, add-on viewfinders. Could use it on my Q as well.

- Button placement: Something I haven't yet heard mentioned is the fact that, for no apparent reason, the identical buttons have been rearranged between K-5/7, Q, and K-01. Why? I've had my K-7 long enough that button access has been committed to muscle memory. Consequently, I reach for the wrong buttons on my newish Q and new K-01. Why not retain the pattern across form factors? Major fail for me.

All else is joy, joy, joy. SO impressed with low-light. Love the 40XS. Not half as happy with the Q; may sell that one. Ideal setup at the moment would be a K-5ii/s and my new K-01.

02-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #65
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piscator Quote
My reactions to the points raised within this thread:

- The rubber door: It was noted that the K-7/5 also have rubber doors. Yes, but not doors that must be opened to download photos. I never touch the one on my K-7. There is no way to get the pix out of the K-01 (card or cable) without opening this rubber door. I think the rubber door is the major design fail of this camera. I'm still in love with it (arrived today, mind you).

- The Mark Whatshisname factor: Doesn't bother me.

- Lack of viewfinder: Agree that at original price point, would have been a factor. At $300 plus change, meh. Would love to find a deal on one of those cool, retro, add-on viewfinders. Could use it on my Q as well.

- Button placement: Something I haven't yet heard mentioned is the fact that, for no apparent reason, the identical buttons have been rearranged between K-5/7, Q, and K-01. Why? I've had my K-7 long enough that button access has been committed to muscle memory. Consequently, I reach for the wrong buttons on my newish Q and new K-01. Why not retain the pattern across form factors? Major fail for me.

All else is joy, joy, joy. SO impressed with low-light. Love the 40XS. Not half as happy with the Q; may sell that one. Ideal setup at the moment would be a K-5ii/s and my new K-01.
Congratulations on the new K-01. I use an old viewfinder from a rangefinder auxiliary lens set for my Q and K-01 - a Tele-Wide.
02-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #66
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 22
FUGLY is in the eye of the beholder

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I'm not sure what your yardstick is, but if the clean lines of the K-01 is fugly to your eyes then how would describe the amorphous black shapes that are every other DSLR on the market haphazardly scattered with mismatching dials, knobs and switches?
+1 for this. I love the looks of the K-01, which are as you said clean and minimal, and very modern. Nor have I found the ergonomics at all complicated, compared with my K-X or Q. I really think it's a classic in its design. This is no longer really an interesting discussion, but I'm still amazed at the unwillingness of people to enjoy the K-01 because it looks and feels different.
02-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #67
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 83
After a week+ with my K-01, I'll go back to my original statement of the door. It is sort of annoying in how it fits going back in place, but the way the rubber (or whatever material it is) is situated and bends, I honestly can't see how anyone would end up wearing it/breaking it without being careless. The design there seems to let it articulate more than actually bend. Again, the fit going back down is a little weird as I haven't decided if it is best to slid it or push it. hm.

I have yet to hit a wrong button and I guess I've just been holding cameras wrong my whole life as I haven't found anything awkward about how this one is situated.

300 frames later and I still start to pull it up to my eye on the first snap. I really miss the OVF, but I'll live. The focus still bothers me a bit, but, it is faster and more accurate than my old ist ds. I think it feels slower due to how it actually focuses, but I put them together and did some tests. No contest really for the few things I did.
02-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #68
Senior Member
pentaxian_tmb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 283
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the review here is pretty much right, except for the ergonomics part. I agree, the green button could be placed better (even if just switched with the red button), but its not in an impossible place and the user will adapt quickly. All camera controls seem awkward if its the first time you are using such a camera.
My biggest problem with the ergonomics is the placement of the on/off switch. I find I routinely hit it by accident when changing lenses or it gets pressed by my camera strap when putting it in my bag. I have not had any problems with the flash button. I don't mind the dial on top. I do wish it had a second wheel. I agree that the placement of the green button is less than ideal.

02-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #69
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
I agree with retaining the continuity of button layout as much as possible across models.
Perhaps PENTAX/RICOH aren't fully appreciative that there are a large base of people who own and use more than one of their cameras?

So far, my view is that the Q and the K-01 are partners
02-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,430
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I agree with retaining the continuity of button layout as much as possible across models.
Perhaps PENTAX/RICOH aren't fully appreciative that there are a large base of people who own and use more than one of their cameras?

So far, my view is that the Q and the K-01 are partners
[EDIT: My bad. What was I thinking? Wrong all the way around. K-01, Q and K-30 have little commonality of button placement. Ignore the comment below]

I can't say for sure but i THINK Pentax is consistent with their button placement and Menu options across the mid-range bodies (which would include the Q and K-01) and across the high-end bodies (at least since the K-7), but certain button functions aren't available in the mid-range so they changed the button placement.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-17-2013 at 03:38 PM.
02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #71
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 310
I really bought my K-01 as a temporary fix until Pentax-Ricoh has a chance to bring us a real replacement for the K-05. I've been using the K-10D ever since it first came out, and my next "big" purchase will be for the next 10+ years. The K-05II didn't make the cut for a long term camera for me and I'd rather wait... easier now that I have the inexpensive K-01. It ain't perfect, but it fit the bill ;-)
02-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #72
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yorktown, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 102
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I really bought my K-01 as a temporary fix until Pentax-Ricoh has a chance to bring us a real replacement for the K-05. I've been using the K-10D ever since it first came out, and my next "big" purchase will be for the next 10+ years. The K-05II didn't make the cut for a long term camera for me and I'd rather wait... easier now that I have the inexpensive K-01. It ain't perfect, but it fit the bill ;-)
I completely admire your way of thinking and behaving. I just don't think I have your patience.

You are absolutely right, though. A big purchase--car, dishwasher, prosumer camera--should last you ten years, at least. My K1000 has lasted 30 years (although I did have to replace the light seals). I recently bought a used Canon 20D just because I wanted to try the Sigma lens to which it was attached (70-200/2.8--whole package for $350). Lens is great, but really, so is the camera. Not so long ago, people made a living with 20Ds. Although it is ten years old, it appears to function perfectly today, and it has become my swim meet camera. We are definitely in the "wants" rather than the "needs" category with any of this stuff.

I still want a K-5. :^)
02-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #73
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can't say for sure but i THINK Pentax is consistent with their button placement and Menu options across the mid-range bodies (which would include the Q and K-01)
Menus I have no trouble with, consistent body button placement? Um no, not really.
Between the Q and the K-01 there are significant differences.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 03-21-2013 at 10:29 PM.
02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #74
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
firmware improvement

Well with the latest firmware the K-01 is pretty perfect as a tool. Problems with saving files to UHS-I cards are solved as far as I could notice. The working off the AF with longer lenses (Pentax) is pretty good. Only thing not working well is with my Sigma 70-200mm zoom, but I except that issue since it is a second brand lens.

This portrait made yesterday as part of a portfolio for these new young sporsters:

Made with K-01 and DA*300mm on tripod with f8 iso100 and 1/160th and studioflashsystem (radiotrigger)
02-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,430
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Menus I have no trouble with, consistent body button placement? Um no, not really.
Between the Q and the K-01 there are significant differences.
My bad. What was I thinking? Wrong all the way around. K-01, Q and K-30 have little commonality of button placement.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, image, imho, k-01, k-5, k-mount, k01, lens, lenses, mirrorless, pentax, pentax k-01
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm surprised how little of a deal it was when I pulled out my K-01 (in a good way) Codazzle Pentax K-01 10 01-03-2013 07:18 PM
Well, I own them both now. ChopperCharles Pentax K-01 7 12-17-2012 11:27 PM
Shooting with a K-01 if I hate live view on my K-5? Codazzle Pentax K-01 16 12-12-2012 07:28 PM
Some thoughts as a new owner of K-01 elpolodiablo Pentax K-01 15 06-18-2012 07:51 PM
I now own a k20d jmbower Pentax DSLR Discussion 30 10-05-2009 12:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top