Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaderSS Quote
For a bit different point of view, I went from an old superzoom to the K-01. The 2006 Panasonic FZ7 superzoom with full manual capabilities was my second digital camera. My first digital camera, a Fuji Finepix 2800 from 2001, ended my film usage, which was with a Pentax Super Program with a 50mm F1.4 lens.

Basically, I don't change cameras very often, maybe every 5 years on average. I get to know my camera's very well, and work within their limitations, until they either die or technology makes an upgrade extremely compelling.

I haven't touched the FZ7 since purchasing the K-01. I got the K-01 kit with the 2 zoom lenses. If I had to do over, I would have gotten the XS40 kit and picked up zooms seperately. At the time, I figured I'd just use my Pentax-A 50mm F1.4 as a prime, but it is a bit long for my uses, so I have just stuck with the kit zooms, as well as a Sigma 8-16 and am very happy with my setup. At some point, I plan on replacing the kit zooms with faster, higher quality lenses of the same ranges, and pick up a 28mm prime, but the image quality is good enough for me now, and a major step up anyway, for me. I can say that attaching the first SLR lens I ever used, a 35 year old Pentax-K 50mm F2 lens, and shooting with it for the first time in over a decade, was a heart-warming experience.

I am not a fan of the K-01 ergos, but am a fan of its ease of use and stunning image quality. For the first time in many years, I am now carrying my camera with me everywhere. I feel that makes it a major sucess for me. The only thing I really miss is an EVF. I shoot JPG, so the speed is plenty good for me, and if I run into something difficult or particularly nice, I have the option to easily store raw files.

I was unhappy with it's focusing at first, even after the firmware upgrade, but since switching to spot focus, I have been much happier with it.

I can say there is no way I would have purchased it at the original price, but at the current prices, it was almost a no-brainer in comparison to the Panasonic FZ-200 I was looking at when I discovered the K-01. The only thing that really made me think twice was the lack of an EVF. Lack of an EVF is still my biggest dissapointment.
Glad you're happy with the K-01, so am I...mostly. I agree with all your points about image quality and Jpeg performance - they're great and good. Spot focus is much better with all Pentax cameras. I had a Panasonic superzoom and was very happy with it as well. Not too sure how your and my perspectives are really different on the K-01.

01-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the report card. I don't know how the K-01 is in use, because I haven't received mine yet. I have never found the body ugly. I like the looks mostly, but the clunky Fisher-Price looking dials and brightly coloured buttons are negatives for me.

I posted my reasons for buying on DPR. Basically it was an impulse buy. I made the mistake of clicking on a great price. If the offer hadn't been for white K-01 to match the white DA L 18-55 lens I already own, I would have been able to resist. It's crazy buying a camera less than a month before CP+, but the camera I want most is a K-3 24mp APS-C DSLR. That body won't conflict that much with the K-01, and probably won't be available until March or April and then at premium pricing. If they show an amazing Ricoh/Pentax MILC at CP+, I may cry a little, but the comparative cost of a new MILC will make me feel better.

I rejected the K-01 before now because it lacks a viewfinder, but recently I decided that people are more comfortable if you don't raise the camera to your eye, so that's my main intended use, casual snaps of people. I considered an X20, but it's more money than the K-01 with XS 40 lens, and far more limited for low light shooting. I thought a lot about a Q but it's not good in low light and I don't want to start collecting lenses for another mount. I have enough trouble with K-mount LBA.

I intend to carry the K-01 more often than I currently do my DSLR's. I have a small fanny pack that fits my K-x, but the protruding parts (flash, O-ME53, grip) make it annoying to put away and withdraw. I may keep or sell the XS40 because I already have a 40 Ltd.

Mostly, I want to be less conspicuous to people by using the arm's length shooting style.
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Thanks for the report card. I don't know how the K-01 is in use, because I haven't received mine yet. I have never found the body ugly. I like the looks mostly, but the clunky Fisher-Price looking dials and brightly coloured buttons are negatives for me.

I posted my reasons for buying on DPR. Basically it was an impulse buy. I made the mistake of clicking on a great price. If the offer hadn't been for white K-01 to match the white DA L 18-55 lens I already own, I would have been able to resist. It's crazy buying a camera less than a month before CP+, but the camera I want most is a K-3 24mp APS-C DSLR. That body won't conflict that much with the K-01, and probably won't be available until March or April and then at premium pricing. If they show an amazing Ricoh/Pentax MILC at CP+, I may cry a little, but the comparative cost of a new MILC will make me feel better.

I rejected the K-01 before now because it lacks a viewfinder, but recently I decided that people are more comfortable if you don't raise the camera to your eye, so that's my main intended use, casual snaps of people. I considered an X20, but it's more money than the K-01 with XS 40 lens, and far more limited for low light shooting. I thought a lot about a Q but it's not good in low light and I don't want to start collecting lenses for another mount. I have enough trouble with K-mount LBA.

I intend to carry the K-01 more often than I currently do my DSLR's. I have a small fanny pack that fits my K-x, but the protruding parts (flash, O-ME53, grip) make it annoying to put away and withdraw. I may keep or sell the XS40 because I already have a 40 Ltd.

Mostly, I want to be less conspicuous to people by using the arm's length shooting style.
That all makes perfect sense to me. If there is a huge announcement at either trade show in the next month it'll be on gear that I would wait 8-12 months to buy anyway because the price would drop - usually dramatically - in that time. I own the Q and am finding it to be the most fun camera I have ever owned. It is frustrating in low light but otherwise I've watched the reactions of people to it and I get more smiles and more relaxed people when I pull it out than when I use the K-5, even with a small lens. So far the reaction to the Yellow K-01 is the same as to the Q, more relaxed. I'm looking forward to the announcements (or more) but am not going to rush out an buy something on pre-order either.
01-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not too sure how your and my perspectives are really different on the K-01.
I don't think our opinions are much different, just that I'm coming from a place of no DSLR experience or ownership, where the K-01 basically is my only camera, as it blows the Panasonic out of the water.

01-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I think the review here is pretty much right, except for the ergonomics part. I agree, the green button could be placed better (even if just switched with the red button), but its not in an impossible place and the user will adapt quickly. All camera controls seem awkward if its the first time you are using such a camera.
01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the review here is pretty much right, except for the ergonomics part. I agree, the green button could be placed better (even if just switched with the red button), but its not in an impossible place and the user will adapt quickly. All camera controls seem awkward if its the first time you are using such a camera.
True, as far as it goes but I do think that form took precedence over function on this. Look at the Flash button placement for instance. It's right where your finger naturally rests when holding the left side of the camera. There is room above the AF/MF switch or even on the back of the camera. The shutter button is the hardest to consistently press of any camera I have owned because of its design and that was driven by looks. There is no thumb rest in an effort to keep the lines smooth and uniform, again not functional but it does make it prettier. I'll try to look for something positive from a design standpoint, and all I come up with is the redesigned lens release button - I like that a lot. Still, at the end of the day they put a killer sensor and some good electronics inside that produce very nice images.
01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
On my first public outing of the K-01 I handed it around the table at a group lunch, and just encouraged people to take candids. I showed people how to use focus peaking, and switching between auto and manual focus. That's about it.
I think several people (me included) have commented they did something along those lines and had similar responses - when they hold it and use it most people like the camera. We enthusiasts are the objectors (though I am really very happy with mine). While I understand and sympathise with the form vs. function criticisms, I beleive Pentax is entitled to sell a camera that skews to the form end of the scale as this one does. I think the camera is quite pleasing to look at in the flesh - but then I think an SV is just plain beautiful. I truly dislike the MX (too small). I have no affinity for a Spotmatic F but I'll never let go of my KX (I know. I know).

In other words, sometimes we're going to need to agree to disagree and just get on with it. I think we are there .

I think in this case Pentax did a poor job of expectations management (the initial price was part of that). And you can never tell a hipster how to be hip. It just has to happen of its own germination.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-10-2013 at 03:44 PM.
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

True, as far as it goes but I do think that form took precedence over function on this. Look at the Flash button placement for instance. It's right where your finger naturally rests when holding the left side of the camera. There is room above the AF/MF switch or even on the back of the camera. The shutter button is the hardest to consistently press of any camera I have owned because of its design and that was driven by looks. There is no thumb rest in an effort to keep the lines smooth and uniform, again not functional but it does make it prettier. I'll try to look for something positive from a design standpoint, and all I come up with is the redesigned lens release button - I like that a lot. Still, at the end of the day they put a killer sensor and some good electronics inside that produce very nice images.
Valid points. What I find positive is that the buttons don't just look good, but they are also snappy (the wheel, the on/off button). I hope there will be a K-02 that will address all of these little things, from ergonomics to firmware, and make a really competent product.
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #39

I mostly agree with the op excepting ergonomics. I did agree that ergonomics were poor until I had put in the time to get used to it. Now, I find it comfortable and quick in use. Though, the green button should be red and vice versa. It doesn't sit like every other camera on the market and expecting it to handle as such from the get go will just lead you to frustration.
01-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Your last sentence above covers it very well for me - I put the note in bold not Doc.

I'm OK with what you've reported, but I give more of it a pass based on how I use cameras. Here is my early 'report card' from a user with years of SLR and dSLR experience, shooting mostly landscapes and relatively few action shots. I expected to dislike its ergonomics but for what I do it's better than expected.

For prospective K-01 buyers, remember - each personal evaluation is true, based on where we come from and what we need (or 'need' ) from a camera like this! It may be ideal for you, it may not. At $300 and change it was easily worth a tryout for me.
01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Your last sentence above covers it very well for me - I put the note in bold not Doc.

I'm OK with what you've reported, but I give more of it a pass based on how I use cameras. Here is my early 'report card' from a user with years of SLR and dSLR experience, shooting mostly landscapes and relatively few action shots. I expected to dislike its ergonomics but for what I do it's better than expected.

For prospective K-01 buyers, remember - each personal evaluation is true, based on where we come from and what we need (or 'need' ) from a camera like this! It may be ideal for you, it may not. At $300 and change it was easily worth a tryout for me.
Absolutely. When it got to $316 with shipping for me with the 40XS is was definitely worth a tryout for me too.
01-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
For prospective K-01 buyers, remember - each personal evaluation is true, based on where we come from and what we need (or 'need' ) from a camera like this!
I would disagree about every evaluation being "true". If I step outside, look around, and pronounce the world to be flat because that's the way it appears to me, that doesn't make my opinion the truth. Opinions are subjective and have nothing to do with truth.
01-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I would disagree about every evaluation being "true". If I step outside, look around, and pronounce the world to be flat because that's the way it appears to me, that doesn't make my opinion the truth. Opinions are subjective and have nothing to do with truth.
True. But the problem is that if I say that I think the K-01 looks great and someone else says that they think it is "fugly," which of us is right? The same with ergonomics.

If you want objective with cameras, go to DXO Mark's site. Everything is clearly subjective.
01-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
True. But the problem is that if I say that I think the K-01 looks great and someone else says that they think it is "fugly," which of us is right?
Neither one is right. They're both subjective opinions. When reading reviews, we may find someone whose opinion closely matches ours, but that doesn't make them right. Folks love the feel of the K5, but the one I've handled felt a bit too small. I felt the grip forced my fingers to curl too much. It just wasn't comfortable. I have decades of experience with Pentax cameras in various formats, but does that mean my opinion is right? Obviously, it doesn't since there are thousands of K5 owners who love the feel of their K5. Sorry to be argumentative. This conversation just struck a chord with me because it reminded me of the fight I have with my friends who are utterly convinced that their opinion is the "truth" that there has been no good music created since the 70's.
01-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If someone says "The K-01 is ugly", that is not a true statement.
If someone says "I find the K-01 ugly", that is true (assuming he isn't lying).