Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
XS40 as a kit lens

Just got my k-01 a few days ago, and was wondering, why Pentax would have a 40mm lens (60mm in 35mm terms) as a kit lens. 60mm seem a bit too short for portrait work, and a bit too long for a walk around, and its not a macro. I’m just wondering if someone can explain the rational to me.

01-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vrubel Quote
Just got my k-01 a few days ago, and was wondering, why Pentax would have a 40mm lens (60mm in 35mm terms) as a kit lens. 60mm seem a bit too short for portrait work, and a bit too long for a walk around, and its not a macro. I’m just wondering if someone can explain the rational to me.
Because it can be made so small. Big lenses on the K-01 are bleh

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Because it can be made so small. Big lenses on the K-01 are bleh
So 50mm or 35mm would’ve been too big?
01-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The 40 Limited was the easiest to re-engineer into the smallest APC-S dSLR lens ever.

01-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the machine translation of an interview with the designers I've read is accurate, it was to get the overall package size down to that of other mirrorless cameras with their kit lenses. The 40 Ltd pancake was already one of the smallest lenses available, and the focal length is in the ballpark of "normal". To my tastes, the K-01 looks more appealing with somewhat larger (but still small) lenses. The DA 35/2.4 "Plastic Fantastic" is a good match, but a little bland. Marc Newson-signature DA L 35/2.4 XS, anyone?
01-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If the machine translation of an interview with the designers I've read is accurate, it was to get the overall package size down to that of other mirrorless cameras with their kit lenses. The 40 Ltd pancake was already one of the smallest lenses available, and the focal length is in the ballpark of "normal". To my tastes, the K-01 looks more appealing with somewhat larger (but still small) lenses. Marc Newson-signature DA L 35/2.4 XS, anyone?
I agree and decided to sell my XS and keep my 40 Limited. It has lived on the K-01 nearly 100% of the time since I got it. Optically the XS is a fine lens, its just so hard to get accessories for (or at least quality ones from what I saw) and why when I already had so many in 49mm, including a very fine hood for the Limited?
01-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I earlier decided to sell it, but later kept it after using for a day, it's a fine lens and makes the while combo compact and fast. It's even more compact on old film camera, posted a few pictures in film section, you might want to have a look.

01-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
If the machine translation of an interview with the designers I've read is accurate, it was to get the overall package size down to that of other mirrorless cameras with their kit lenses. The 40 Ltd pancake was already one of the smallest lenses available, and the focal length is in the ballpark of "normal". To my tastes, the K-01 looks more appealing with somewhat larger (but still small) lenses. The DA 35/2.4 "Plastic Fantastic" is a good match, but a little bland. Marc Newson-signature DA L 35/2.4 XS, anyone?
or 21mm XS
01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrubel Quote
or 21mm XS
I considered that (and the 21 Ltd is becoming one of my favorite lenses on the K-01), but 21mm is on the other side of "normal".
01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
HSV
Veteran Member

I guess they decided to converted the da40 limited to xs because it's the cheapest limited lens...and most likely the redesign and engineering cost would also be minimal, there's not much glass and hardware to it.

In in ideal world, I would like to have seen the k-01 (with a working wireless p-ttl) bundled with a DA35 macro XS...but then somebody would be complaining about it being non-pocketable (not even in a jacket) and the comparatively slow AF of the DA35 macro.
01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
I considered that (and the 21 Ltd is becoming one of my favorite lenses on the K-01), but 21mm is on the other side of "normal".
I suppose it is. But 21 is another small lens that could have been re-engineered and with 31mm (in 35 mm terms) it might have been a competitor to the Fuji x100.