Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-01 + 50mm f/1.4 A = fun!

So we have a new addition (5 days old little girl!) and I purchased an A 50mm f1.4 (which arrived the day I took the other kids to the hospital). Paid average ebay price for a flawless copy, so I am happy.

Some observations:

1) Lens has phenomenal IQ. In direct sunlight it can get some glowing wide open, I am not a fan but it goes away with a hood.

2) It is easier to manual focus with the older lens, the focus ring is silky smooth and it has a really wide circuit, meaning it is simple to do fine adjustments. Perfect amount of resistance for videoing.

3) This isn't a kid chasing lens, will keep to my other primes for that purpose. Autofocus really is your friend for that stuff.

4) Still trying to decide if I like the focal length. I know that 50mm is the equivalent of 75mm (close to one of the FA trinity) but I really prefer my other two primes right now. (DA70 and FA35)

Question for the forum:

I had serious trouble focusing outside in bright daylight, not because I couldn't see the screen but because the focusing and aperture must be linked somehow? I.E. I would focus it with a posing child, and focus peaking would be dead on, but the shot would be blurry. Then I would do the info / 2x zoom while focusing and the focus was somewhere else entirely. I am not talking close, it was miles off. What would cause this? Makes the lens useless for me outside. I never have this problem inside.

Anyway, taking into consideration I got my K-01 at the reduced rate, the 50mm + camera cost less than a lens on a new Fuji X system :-) Being a dad I appreciate that and will be investigating other ancient lenses.

Jamey

01-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I had serious trouble focusing outside in bright daylight, not because I couldn't see the screen but because the focusing and aperture must be linked somehow? I.E. I would focus it with a posing child, and focus peaking would be dead on, but the shot would be blurry. Then I would do the info / 2x zoom while focusing and the focus was somewhere else entirely. I am not talking close, it was miles off. What would cause this? Makes the lens useless for me outside. I never have this problem inside.
use the focusing distance scale, very usefull to prefocus by simple guesstimation of the distance
01-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have enjoyed the A50, try the A28, A24 or similar third party brand. Those focal lengths are great for kids running around outside, f8 and be there so to speak.
01-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the DA21 on order for a hopefully 'set it and forget it' style wider shooting, but I am always looking for deals on the A lenses