Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-01 video

I do lot of wedding / event photography with my K10 & K20 for many yrs.6 months ago, I bought K-01 for videography on weddings. Well, I am the only one uses K01 among all my friends & they are suprised to see my video camera. I am very happy with result of the video. I made my money in 2 assignments & going strong. I attach GGS view finder for easy framing & manual focus 95% of the time.

01-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice... that's the main reason I keep the K-01 is for its video abilities.

Thanks for sharing!
01-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Curious about the GGS view finder...what do you think of it on the K-01? I have been thinking about getting one but am unsure of how well it works. Also...is it permanent or how easily removable is it? Any thoughts on it would be appreciated. Thanks.
01-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

GGS Perfect viewfinder

Optically, the 3x flippable viewfinder is very good - especially at its price point (about $55-60). For video work, it is a great addition; nice diopter correction, excellent optically. The fit on the K-01 is just right, giving you a ridge to rest your thumb along the row of buttons, and as a thumb rest in the upper right corner. (You attach the mounting screen semi-permanently so the ridge remains in place even when not using the VF itself; the mounting screen seems to be far more scratch-resistant than the K-01 LCD screen.)

The only problem with the GGS system unaltered is that the mounting screen adhesive does deteriorate fairly quickly, and it most likely will finally fail during a longer shooting session as the heat of the LCD causes the adhesive to loosen. The solution - which I would advise implementing at the time of first mounting - is the use of clear 100% silicone sealant on the mounting screen edges (after removing the original adhesive). Applied carefully, and trimmed properly, a silicone seal can look essentially OEM. Even if you make a mistake, it is easy to totally remove the silicone using a blade with care and pealing with your thumbnail; even if the silicone has totally dried. Probably the best silicone is Permatex clear RTV or DAP RTV auto/marine, but I used DAP window/door sealant which worked fine, as well.

01-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the info...just what I needed to hear.
01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have the same problem with the adhesive being soft after some time.So, I use super glue to permanently stick it on my lcd. Minor damage on lcd outer part but no effects on the images. I planning to buy ]Aputure Gigtube - Tilt & Swivel LCD Viewfinder for low / high angle shot & also to use with slider or dolly.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

do you use the Movie Shake Reduction feature for movies? I heard it causes blur, especially at 24fps and full HD.
01-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mpmetro Quote
do you use the Movie Shake Reduction feature for movies? I heard it causes blur, especially at 24fps and full HD.
No, I dont use SR at all.It cause kind of jello effect. I always shoot at 1080 x 720 @ 50fps at 1/60 or 1/100. I use motion stabiliser during fast moving shots & tripod rest of the time. My tripod act as tripod,monopod,shoulder pad,slider & dolly. I will be testing the Aputure Gigtube - Tilt & Swivel LCD Viewfinder this week before buying. It need some modification as the mini usb port of K01 is is smaller than the standard cable --- most made for Canikon.

01-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #9

may i ask what kind of motion stabilizer you use?

For the USB cable, are you using the pentax AV out cable? I think the pentax usb port might be proprietary. So perhaps you can get the video out cable, and connect it to the external monitor.

I've used the av cable I had and it shows live view on a tv from my k01

video only
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376673-REG/Pentax_39262_I_VC28_Video_Cable.html

audio/video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/278392-REG/Pentax_39552_I_AVC7_A_V_Cable.html

Last edited by mpmetro; 01-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.
01-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mpmetro Quote
may i ask what kind of motion stabilizer you use?

For the USB cable, are you using the pentax AV out cable? I think the pentax usb port might be proprietary. So perhaps you can get the video out cable, and connect it to the external monitor.

I've used the av cable I had and it shows live view on a tv.

video only
Pentax I-VC28 Video Cable 39262 B&H Photo Video

audio/video
Amazon.com: Pentax I-AVC7, AV Interface Cable for Penatx Q and Optio Digital Cameras.: Camera & Photo
motion pro stabilizer

. Need some practice .
Attached Images