Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #1

K-01 and flash options

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding flash.

I would like a powerful bounce flash to use with the K-01. I do have a 420EZ that works with my canon in manual mode, but is not triggered by the K-01.

I would like recommendations for a powerful flash that can be used in bounce mode for both horizontal and vertical orientations.

I am interested and looking at the Sigma ef-610 dg st, but I do not know how well it would work for what I want to use it for. I did a forum search for this but couldn't find the answer.

Thank you very much..

-Crust

01-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you want P-TTL or manual? If you want directional with a tilting head then there are several Metz flashes that people have reported liking a lot but they're in the $200-500 range mostly. I own a rebranded Tumax flash that does a nice job and wasn't much money ($100 or so as I recall).

Bell & Howell (TUMAX) Z680AF-P reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
For some reason, I've always used my flashes in manual mode. I wouldn't mind P-TTL, but it's a nice-to-have not a must-have.

The Sigma flash I identified in my original post seems to have the specs I would like in a flash.
01-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Metz 58 AF1 performs well on my K-01:

01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Pheo,

Thank you for the input. I will look into that flash. It seems around 2-3 times the price of the Sigma option I am most interested in. Do you think it's worth that price jump?
01-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Crust, I am not sure if the Sigma units are completely pTTL compatible with the K-01 - perhaps someone with the Sigma unit can help on that. It lacks auto-thyrister. The advantage to the Metz units are greater controls, especially for multi-flash and wireless, better build, and ability to flash firmware updates through a port. On the down side, the Metz 58 is a complex unit that can be challenging to remember all the menus if not used regularly (like at least once a week). The Sigma seems to be a good value, though.
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Crust Quote
Thank you for the input. I will look into that flash. It seems around 2-3 times the price of the Sigma option I am most interested in. Do you think it's worth that price jump?
Whether a more capable flash is worth it depends on whether you want to use it on Pentax DSLR's, or just the K-01. The Sigma ST versions do P-TTL, but don't have HSS or wireless. Neither does the K-01, so the ST and K-01 are feature matched.

The 610 Super has P-TTL, HSS and wireless. My Sigma EF 530 Super works on the K-01, so the EF 610 certainly will too, because it replaced the 530.
01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Whether a more capable flash is worth it depends on whether you want to use it on Pentax DSLR's, or just the K-01. The Sigma ST versions do P-TTL, but don't have HSS or wireless. Neither does the K-01, so the ST and K-01 are feature matched.

The 610 Super has P-TTL, HSS and wireless. My Sigma EF 530 Super works on the K-01, so the EF 610 certainly will too, because it replaced the 530.
Dan,
One of the reviewers said:
"Bottom line: if you want a P-TTL flash to use in auto mode only, this is a good value. If you want manual control, buy something else. "
Is that the case, is it pretty useless manually? My Tumax does well with 1 through 1/16th settings incrementally and manual settings for zoom and such too.

01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My favourite flash (in a group including a Metz 60 CT-4, Vivitar 285, Pentax AF 360 and others) is a Sunpak 433D. It and its various relatives offer a good mix of manual and auto thyristor settings, are relatively compact and light, and sell in the $10 to 50 range used. It has a guide number of 120 at a fixed 35mm, and I haven't had any complaints bouncing it for lenses as wide as 10mm. The three auto thyristor settings and manual settings from full to 1/16 power are generally all I need and are more reliable than the P-TTL on my AF 360.
01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Banned

Metz Mecablitz 76 MZ-5 Digital Handle Mount Flash with Auto Zoom

Gotta love that 249 GN, but...

These things are hard to come by lately in just about any matching camera hot shoe connection. I would also not be suprised if this next resupply is also the last resupply of this existing model. Many will state that it will soon be replaced my a more advanced and higher GN version this year.

And at the opposite end of the spectrum...

I also have quite the number of flash units (in addition to my two Metz 76's) that don't get anywhere near that 249 GN - actually not even 100. I still really like the effect of a multi led flash - especially for macro work
01-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Dan,
One of the reviewers said:
"Bottom line: if you want a P-TTL flash to use in auto mode only, this is a good value. If you want manual control, buy something else. "
Is that the case, is it pretty useless manually? My Tumax does well with 1 through 1/16th settings incrementally and manual settings for zoom and such too.
It appears the ST model only does full power or 1/16 power. I thought it was like the Super, with seven manual power settings. My 530 has manual zoom settings, but I was unable to determine if the Super does.
01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It appears the ST model only does full power or 1/16 power. I thought it was like the Super, with seven manual power settings. My 530 has manual zoom settings, but I was unable to determine if the Super does.
Thanks. I just know that there are times when I have to shift to manual and even 1 to 1/16th isn't always as flexible as I need/want. I'm still pretty happy with the Tumax but have been waiting to see if Pentax will update the flash system or their flashes before jumping further into strobes.
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax has created some confusion in its manual, making the K-01 seem less fully featured than it is. HSS is supported by the K-01 in flashes that provide for it; the on-board flash does not support hss.
Wireless is a more complicated issue. Again, the on-board flash is not a wireless controller, but any Pentax pTTL-enabled flash serving as a controller for wireless can provide wireless; the Sigma Super flashes indeed can act as a controller or a slave (therefore presumably can perform a wireless function on the K-01), while the STs are incapable of control or slave functions (useless on any Pentax for any wireless function). Standard RF or line-of-sight wireless also can work with the K-01, of course. The K-01/K30 process engine (all flashes will work the same on both bodies) has been reported to be excellent with updated flashes (Pentax and firmware updated Metz in particular), but not so good with some of the other brands. So, it is confusing at a minimum, and a bit of a crap shoot when trying to match flashes properly (unless you decide to forego pTTL entirely - which isn't the end of the world by any means).
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #14

I have a canon 420ez also, that works fine on my K-01 in manual mode. Make sure the shutter speed is less than 180.
01-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Pentax has created some confusion in its manual, making the K-01 seem less fully featured than it is. HSS is supported by the K-01 in flashes that provide for it; the on-board flash does not support hss.
Wireless is a more complicated issue. Again, the on-board flash is not a wireless controller, but any Pentax pTTL-enabled flash serving as a controller for wireless can provide wireless; the Sigma Super flashes indeed can act as a controller or a slave (therefore presumably can perform a wireless function on the K-01), while the STs are incapable of control or slave functions (useless on any Pentax for any wireless function).
I hadn't tried HSS because it's not mentioned in the manual, but you're right, it works.

I don't have a second flash yet. I assumed wireless wouldn't work because there's no wireless setting in the camera's flash control menu. I guess this means that wireless would be possible with a K100D, or Q, as long as you have a pair of wireless flashes?