Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Color quality in video playback

When I playback video on the camera, the colors are fine.

However, on the computer (with quicktime or windows) magenta is totally lost, leaving mostly cyan hues of everything.

Do I need to download a codec, or is this some other type of problem?

I'm using a Sandisk 32gb ultra (class 10) as my recording medium.

Thanks!

01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What affects colours is "white balance", digital filters (if you enabled any), and codecs.
There is one more thing, which is monitor calibration. The problem is that the monitors on cameras are not calibrated (as far as I know) and usually computer monitors aren't either (you have to buy a gadget for that).
So your problem might be: a) camera settings, like wb or digital filters
b) computer software, codecs and the way that the software displays video (there can be a big difference)
c) hardware - when the screen on the camera just happens to be different from your monitor or TV.

To deal with this, you might want to buy a monitor calibration device (will make everything look different, more "correct," but you might not like it because you are not used to it), and use software to edit your video. You should use video software anyway, at least to compress the video. You can also make small changes while you are doing that, if you want to (and if your software allows this).
01-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It isn't possible to diagnose properly unless you introduce another computer and/or monitor into the equation as a control.

As the problem is so severe, it does not sound like a monitor calibration issue. In any event, you can get by using calibration software (Monitor Calibration Wizard is very good, and easy) before going to significant expense involved in buying a device such as a spider. You mention it looks good on the camera screen, so that almost certainly eliminates any problem with the SD card. Of course, you should download the video file onto the computer - do not play the file directly from the SD card or through your camera. Is your computer only marginally meeting video specs - or perhaps your video card isn't quite up to the task? Is the video smooth in computer playback? If so, your computer specs are probably good enough.

If you can, try to isolate the problem by introducing new elements (different card, lower spec video rate, different computer, different monitor, etc.). My guess is the camera and card are OK, but no way to tell for sure yet...
01-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
When I playback video on the camera, the colors are fine.
If it plays back okay on the camera, then it must be recorded properly.

QuoteQuote:
However, on the computer (with quicktime or windows) magenta is totally lost, leaving mostly cyan hues of everything.
Does your computer play video from other sources correctly?

QuoteQuote:
Do I need to download a codec, or is this some other type of problem?
I didn't have to do anything to get it to play, and I have no problem with QuickTime, RealPlayer, VLC, or Windows Media Player.

I would echo the previous comment of being sure to copy it to your hard drive before playing it.

QuoteQuote:
I'm using a Sandisk 32gb ultra (class 10) as my recording medium.

Thanks!
Good luck, and be sure to let us know what the problem is once you find it.

01-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, everyone. I'm thinking it's more a hardware problem w/my current desktop. I'll get back to you about this later.
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh, you can try uploading a video to youtube and looking at it on another computer/device. But youtube will transform the video a little..