Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canberra
Posts: 35
Three K01s

Hi, I'm a newly registered long time lurker in this group, from Canberra, Australia. I believe there recently was a thread about owners of two K01s; I'm just wondering if anyone likes the K01 enough to have acquired three of them. I bought my first one (black) at full price (800 AUD incl 40/2.8 XS lens) the moment they were available in this country (beginning of April 2012). Being really happy with it I bought a second one (yellow) in July (body only, 715 AUD). Then when the price in Aus came down to $300 (body) in December, I couldn't resist, I went and got another one (couldn't get white, so it's black2). Whether Pentax ceases making them, or brings out a K02, I don't mind, I've got mine, I'm happy. I've got 14 lenses, so I enjoy mixing and matching. Apart from this, they handle really well and take great photos (I also have a K20 and a Kx).

01-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
AussieTrev's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,081
Wow, three K-01s. I have one K01, a K-5, a MX and the wife has a K30, but three. You must really love the K-01.Enjoy the site and get some photos up, seems like you have a good number of lenses too.
01-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Wow. I have a K-5, Q, and yellow K-01 but 3 K-01s -Wow.
01-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
Amazing! I just got my first pentax a few days ago - a K01.

01-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
I've got 14 lenses, so I enjoy mixing and matching
Favorite Pentax label lens'; or least favority also?

Favorite third party lens?
01-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,401
Three K01s? No, that's just silly. It came in FOUR colors:



The first one ("Black Friday Black") tore a shutter curtain or something, and has been on "parts backorder" for months. It happened just as I was coming to appreciate the K-01's differences (and I was thinking about a second K-01 for playing with 3D). The price went down, so I got "Pandatrooper". Impatient to play with 3D, and with fire-sale prices, I added "Bumblebee". One of them may have an IR conversion eventually. At this point, having given in to the collecting/hoarding disease, it just took a little creative Googling to find the silver "Yerp" (because that's where it's from).
01-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Three K01s? No, that's just silly. It came in FOUR colors:
The first one ("Black Friday Black") tore a shutter curtain or something, and has been on "parts backorder" for months. It happened just as I was coming to appreciate the K-01's differences (and I was thinking about a second K-01 for playing with 3D). The price went down, so I got "Pandatrooper". Impatient to play with 3D, and with fire-sale prices, I added "Bumblebee". One of them may have an IR conversion eventually. At this point, having given in to the collecting/hoarding disease, it just took a little creative Googling to find the silver "Yerp" (because that's where it's from).
With a little creative surgery you could have an all black and a mostly silver K-01 Wow, next time my wife comments on my 3 cameras I'll pull up this post

Have you found the tele-wide OVF useful on your K-01s?
01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,401
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
With a little creative surgery you could have an all black and a mostly silver K-01
The black on the Pandatrooper and Yerp has a smooth flat finish, while that on Black Friday and Bumblebee is 'pebbled', so I don't think it would look good. The silver paint would match better, but I still have doubts. Somewhere in here, you start down the road of DigitalRev and painting everything Pinkenta.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wow, next time my wife comments on my 3 cameras I'll pull up this post
Well, I have the "advantage" (if you can call it that) of no Project Manager to rein in my hobbies. I'm probably more of a collector than photograper, and have a pile of other Pentaxes going back to a Spotmatic. When an unkind review of the K-01 said that the only buyers would be eccentric artists, camera collectors, or Pentax diehards, I said, "hey, that's me!" ('artist' is debateable )

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Have you found the tele-wide OVF useful on your K-01s?
Once or twice, but after the initial "sloppibration" trials, the few times where the sun was too harsh, I just shaded the LCD with my hat or hand and kept going. I do keep the finder in a side pocket of my "K-01 kit" bag - that may be why I never need it. If I left it at home...

01-19-2013, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member
ChrisJ's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eckington, Derbyshire UK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 316
QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
Hi, I'm a newly registered long time lurker in this group, from Canberra, Australia. I believe there recently was a thread about owners of two K01s; I'm just wondering if anyone likes the K01 enough to have acquired three of them. I bought my first one (black) at full price (800 AUD incl 40/2.8 XS lens) the moment they were available in this country (beginning of April 2012). Being really happy with it I bought a second one (yellow) in July (body only, 715 AUD). Then when the price in Aus came down to $300 (body) in December, I couldn't resist, I went and got another one (couldn't get white, so it's black2). Whether Pentax ceases making them, or brings out a K02, I don't mind, I've got mine, I'm happy. I've got 14 lenses, so I enjoy mixing and matching. Apart from this, they handle really well and take great photos (I also have a K20 and a Kx).
That's just greedy LOL. You can always tear off the yellow or black rubber and have any covering you want, I fancy snakeskin to match the ME Super I used to have (never should have sold that camera), or deer skin with the hair still on it and have a 'furry' one. Any camera is just a box you can wrap it in anything.

They used to sell very accurately cut skins for many cameras, apparently in Japan you can get the same for the Pentax Q, but not for the K-01 - yet.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax-Q/Leather/QColorLeatherKit.php

Here's how to for your K-01

http://photographybanzai.com/2012/05/30/replacing-the-pentax-k-01-grip/

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 01-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.
01-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
New Member
imaphotographer's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
That's just greedy LOL. You can always tear off the yellow or black rubber and have any covering you want, I fancy snakeskin to match the ME Super I used to have (never should have sold that camera), or deer skin with the hair still on it and have a 'furry' one. Any camera is just a box you can wrap it in anything.

They used to sell very accurately cut skins for many cameras, apparently in Japan you can get the same for the Pentax Q, but not for the K-01 - yet.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax-Q/Leather/QColorLeatherKit.php

Here's how to for your K-01

Replacing the Pentax K-01 Grip | photographybanzai.com

Chris
Thanks for the links Chris. They need to make these skins for our K-01.
01-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
three is crazy
01-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canberra
Posts: 35
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Favorite Pentax label lens'; or least favority also?
Favorite third party lens?
You prob think I have a collection of vintage Pentax lenses incl manual. Well, no, most are relatively recently acquired, fairly modern lenses (I've been into the Pentax system only since 2006). It's hard to nominate favourites and least favourites, but I'll attempt a bit of brief ranking. Least fav was prob the Pentax 17-70/4. I had some problems with focussing (but not as much as I've heard from a couple of other users), but mainly I just didn't like the image quality at the 70mm end. I sold it and bought a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 which I find a lot better, and which ranks as one of my favourite lenses. It was a cheap, long out of production (c2006?) lens that I found online in DCW Sydney.

Another of my favourites, also found in DCW, and again I believe long out of production, is the Sigma 24-60/2.8. It's a bit of a monster on the K01, but I'm pretty content with this curtailed focal length range (compared with the 17-70) and love the speed and sharpness of it.

Turning to Pentax lenses, I love the 21/3.2 DA Ltd, it is sharp and a useful focal length for me. Not quite as useful to me is the 70/2.4 DA Ltd, but it is also sharp, and both of these lenses are superbly made. With the addition of a +4 dioptre close up lens the 70 does very reasonable macro work, and if I ever get back into portraits it will be the obvious choice. I also like the 40/2.8 XS, it is tiny, sharp, and (for me) a useful focal length.

Not used all the time, but great performers in their completely different ways are the 10-17/3.5-4.5 DA fisheye and the 50-135/2.8 DA star.
I also have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 (compact for what it is, and a very good performer, but not as good as the Sigma 24-60/2.8). The 24-60 is a full frame lens which explains its bulk, and might also help explain its great performance on a cropped sensor camera. Then there's the Tamron 18-200/3.5-6.3 which is an OK performer, and has proved so useful as a travel lens.

My present least favourite is the Sigma 30/1.4. It hunts, frequently locks onto the wrong distance and the image edges are not great, but I can't yet bring myself to sell it as I've had a few outstanding results. I've yet to try it on the K01 with firmware 1.01 update, that might help. A past non favourite was the manual focus Vivitar 85/1.4 very hard to use and heavy to handle (it's a FF lens), I donated it to a school.

Enough for now!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aud, body, k-01, k01, k01s, mirrorless, pentax k-01, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Three birds Ducatigaz Post Your Photos! 14 10-18-2012 04:52 AM
People three amigos... dcmsox2004 Post Your Photos! 6 08-05-2012 06:05 AM
Misc Three monochromes riff Post Your Photos! 18 06-20-2012 09:26 AM
Black & White three bananas........... dcmsox2004 Post Your Photos! 4 03-22-2011 03:40 PM
One dog. Three portraits. Three different emotions. Mindaugas Post Your Photos! 2 05-05-2009 08:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top