Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

Three K01s

Hi, I'm a newly registered long time lurker in this group, from Canberra, Australia. I believe there recently was a thread about owners of two K01s; I'm just wondering if anyone likes the K01 enough to have acquired three of them. I bought my first one (black) at full price (800 AUD incl 40/2.8 XS lens) the moment they were available in this country (beginning of April 2012). Being really happy with it I bought a second one (yellow) in July (body only, 715 AUD). Then when the price in Aus came down to $300 (body) in December, I couldn't resist, I went and got another one (couldn't get white, so it's black2). Whether Pentax ceases making them, or brings out a K02, I don't mind, I've got mine, I'm happy. I've got 14 lenses, so I enjoy mixing and matching. Apart from this, they handle really well and take great photos (I also have a K20 and a Kx).

01-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, three K-01s. I have one K01, a K-5, a MX and the wife has a K30, but three. You must really love the K-01.Enjoy the site and get some photos up, seems like you have a good number of lenses too.
01-19-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow. I have a K-5, Q, and yellow K-01 but 3 K-01s -Wow.
01-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazing! I just got my first pentax a few days ago - a K01.

01-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
I've got 14 lenses, so I enjoy mixing and matching
Favorite Pentax label lens'; or least favority also?

Favorite third party lens?
01-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Three K01s? No, that's just silly. It came in FOUR colors:

The first one ("Black Friday Black") tore a shutter curtain or something, and has been on "parts backorder" for months. It happened just as I was coming to appreciate the K-01's differences (and I was thinking about a second K-01 for playing with 3D). The price went down, so I got "Pandatrooper". Impatient to play with 3D, and with fire-sale prices, I added "Bumblebee". One of them may have an IR conversion eventually. At this point, having given in to the collecting/hoarding disease, it just took a little creative Googling to find the silver "Yerp" (because that's where it's from).
01-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Three K01s? No, that's just silly. It came in FOUR colors:
The first one ("Black Friday Black") tore a shutter curtain or something, and has been on "parts backorder" for months. It happened just as I was coming to appreciate the K-01's differences (and I was thinking about a second K-01 for playing with 3D). The price went down, so I got "Pandatrooper". Impatient to play with 3D, and with fire-sale prices, I added "Bumblebee". One of them may have an IR conversion eventually. At this point, having given in to the collecting/hoarding disease, it just took a little creative Googling to find the silver "Yerp" (because that's where it's from).
With a little creative surgery you could have an all black and a mostly silver K-01 Wow, next time my wife comments on my 3 cameras I'll pull up this post

Have you found the tele-wide OVF useful on your K-01s?
01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
With a little creative surgery you could have an all black and a mostly silver K-01
The black on the Pandatrooper and Yerp has a smooth flat finish, while that on Black Friday and Bumblebee is 'pebbled', so I don't think it would look good. The silver paint would match better, but I still have doubts. Somewhere in here, you start down the road of DigitalRev and painting everything Pinkenta.

Wow, next time my wife comments on my 3 cameras I'll pull up this post
Well, I have the "advantage" (if you can call it that) of no Project Manager to rein in my hobbies. I'm probably more of a collector than photograper, and have a pile of other Pentaxes going back to a Spotmatic. When an unkind review of the K-01 said that the only buyers would be eccentric artists, camera collectors, or Pentax diehards, I said, "hey, that's me!" ('artist' is debateable )

Have you found the tele-wide OVF useful on your K-01s?
Once or twice, but after the initial "sloppibration" trials, the few times where the sun was too harsh, I just shaded the LCD with my hat or hand and kept going. I do keep the finder in a side pocket of my "K-01 kit" bag - that may be why I never need it. If I left it at home...

01-19-2013, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by houseofstyles Quote
Hi, I'm a newly registered long time lurker in this group, from Canberra, Australia. I believe there recently was a thread about owners of two K01s; I'm just wondering if anyone likes the K01 enough to have acquired three of them. I bought my first one (black) at full price (800 AUD incl 40/2.8 XS lens) the moment they were available in this country (beginning of April 2012). Being really happy with it I bought a second one (yellow) in July (body only, 715 AUD). Then when the price in Aus came down to $300 (body) in December, I couldn't resist, I went and got another one (couldn't get white, so it's black2). Whether Pentax ceases making them, or brings out a K02, I don't mind, I've got mine, I'm happy. I've got 14 lenses, so I enjoy mixing and matching. Apart from this, they handle really well and take great photos (I also have a K20 and a Kx).
That's just greedy LOL. You can always tear off the yellow or black rubber and have any covering you want, I fancy snakeskin to match the ME Super I used to have (never should have sold that camera), or deer skin with the hair still on it and have a 'furry' one. Any camera is just a box you can wrap it in anything.

They used to sell very accurately cut skins for many cameras, apparently in Japan you can get the same for the Pentax Q, but not for the K-01 - yet.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax-Q/Leather/QColorLeatherKit.php

Here's how to for your K-01

http://photographybanzai.com/2012/05/30/replacing-the-pentax-k-01-grip/

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 01-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.
01-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
That's just greedy LOL. You can always tear off the yellow or black rubber and have any covering you want, I fancy snakeskin to match the ME Super I used to have (never should have sold that camera), or deer skin with the hair still on it and have a 'furry' one. Any camera is just a box you can wrap it in anything.

They used to sell very accurately cut skins for many cameras, apparently in Japan you can get the same for the Pentax Q, but not for the K-01 - yet.

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pentax-Q/Leather/QColorLeatherKit.php

Here's how to for your K-01

Replacing the Pentax K-01 Grip | photographybanzai.com

Chris
Thanks for the links Chris. They need to make these skins for our K-01.
01-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
three is crazy
01-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Favorite Pentax label lens'; or least favority also?
Favorite third party lens?
You prob think I have a collection of vintage Pentax lenses incl manual. Well, no, most are relatively recently acquired, fairly modern lenses (I've been into the Pentax system only since 2006). It's hard to nominate favourites and least favourites, but I'll attempt a bit of brief ranking. Least fav was prob the Pentax 17-70/4. I had some problems with focussing (but not as much as I've heard from a couple of other users), but mainly I just didn't like the image quality at the 70mm end. I sold it and bought a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 which I find a lot better, and which ranks as one of my favourite lenses. It was a cheap, long out of production (c2006?) lens that I found online in DCW Sydney.

Another of my favourites, also found in DCW, and again I believe long out of production, is the Sigma 24-60/2.8. It's a bit of a monster on the K01, but I'm pretty content with this curtailed focal length range (compared with the 17-70) and love the speed and sharpness of it.

Turning to Pentax lenses, I love the 21/3.2 DA Ltd, it is sharp and a useful focal length for me. Not quite as useful to me is the 70/2.4 DA Ltd, but it is also sharp, and both of these lenses are superbly made. With the addition of a +4 dioptre close up lens the 70 does very reasonable macro work, and if I ever get back into portraits it will be the obvious choice. I also like the 40/2.8 XS, it is tiny, sharp, and (for me) a useful focal length.

Not used all the time, but great performers in their completely different ways are the 10-17/3.5-4.5 DA fisheye and the 50-135/2.8 DA star.
I also have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 (compact for what it is, and a very good performer, but not as good as the Sigma 24-60/2.8). The 24-60 is a full frame lens which explains its bulk, and might also help explain its great performance on a cropped sensor camera. Then there's the Tamron 18-200/3.5-6.3 which is an OK performer, and has proved so useful as a travel lens.

My present least favourite is the Sigma 30/1.4. It hunts, frequently locks onto the wrong distance and the image edges are not great, but I can't yet bring myself to sell it as I've had a few outstanding results. I've yet to try it on the K01 with firmware 1.01 update, that might help. A past non favourite was the manual focus Vivitar 85/1.4 very hard to use and heavy to handle (it's a FF lens), I donated it to a school.

Enough for now!