Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

K01 - main switch turn off camera in on position when pushed clockwise

I got my Pentax K-01 camera a few weeks ago. I found it an exceptionally good camera. I consider it as a good upgrade from my Pentax K-x, especially for video mode.
The only thinh wcich gives me grief is its main switch.
When I turn a main switch clockwise to turn on the camera, it works as it is suppose to, i.e. the camera turns on and works withiut any problems.
But what I found is that if (after turning the camera on) I touch the main switch (deliberately or by accident) pushing it in clockwise direction (even very gently), the camera turnes off.
It definitely does, as I can hear the sound of the shutter (which is closes when the camera is turning off) and vibration of a dust removal function (which I have activated as a shutdown action.
The battery is fully charged and the firmware is the latest available (1.01).
I want to know if anyone experienced anything similar. Thanks.

01-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like bad news to me. As I am sure you have noticed, the quality of the physical switches, dial and buttons are quite high, and it takes a solid action to move them (especially the switches and dial). While the defect rate has been very low by all accounts, it certainly sounds like your switch somehow is not seated quite right. I have experienced absolutely no problems with the switch on mine.
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, this sounds like a warranty issue to me as well.

Charles.
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine does not move one bit, nothing happens if I push on it when in the ON position.

01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Same here, no troubles. I'd swap if for another if you can, otherwise warranty repair.
01-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone.
It looks like I in trouble.
I live in Australia and purchased my camera from B&H, which is based in New York.
Shipping costs to get it repaired in the USA can be quite substantial.

Last edited by Foma2; 01-30-2013 at 01:27 AM.