Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

...did I miss this somewhere ?

...I have never read a rumor regarding the continuation of the K-01 mirror-less family...any word on a K-02/K-03 or whatever ???

01-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronnie B Quote
...I have never read a rumor regarding the continuation of the K-01 mirror-less family...any word on a K-02/K-03 or whatever ???
At photokina they suggested that there wasn't enough interest in the system itself. Considering the fact that the price drop seems to have increased sales, though, hopefully they'll reconsider this and launch a mirrorless successor that's reasonably priced and actually an upgrade (unlike the Q -> Q10 for instance).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only rumor is that there isn't going to be a follow up and that there will be no more XS lenses.
01-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
...did I miss this somewhere ?

...thanx all for the update...i bought my first k-01 about six months ago, despite all the negative reviews...well, a lot of those negatives are positives for me...the k-01 has become my favorite shooter

01-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has been consistently neutral or negative regarding a followup. People wanting a K-02 have consistently ignored this.

We shouldn't worry about a potential K-0x, just get out and enjoy the Brick!

01-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Consistent with the marketing strategy that lead to overwhelming immediate success, Pentax might have decided on a strategy of implied failure to ensure that sales would remain consistent (I guess that kept the shippers in the warehouse from worrying about any overtime). The inevitable decision to dump remaining stock at unrealistic closeout prices has got product out and resulted in greater understanding of just how good a concept the system is (cosmetic design flaws notwithstanding). My guess is the last thing these incompetent marketing execs will realize is that the concept and engineering was masterful, but their own executive decisions at the end of the line were a disaster. To think that the people responsible for the failure would get it right at this stage and continue mirrorless in K mount is more optimism than I can conjure.
01-23-2013, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Consistent with the marketing strategy that lead to overwhelming immediate success, Pentax might have decided on a strategy of implied failure to ensure that sales would remain consistent (I guess that kept the shippers in the warehouse from worrying about any overtime). The inevitable decision to dump remaining stock at unrealistic closeout prices has got product out and resulted in greater understanding of just how good a concept the system is (cosmetic design flaws notwithstanding). My guess is the last thing these incompetent marketing execs will realize is that the concept and engineering was masterful, but their own executive decisions at the end of the line were a disaster. To think that the people responsible for the failure would get it right at this stage and continue mirrorless in K mount is more optimism than I can conjure.
Sadly, I agree.

Or else... The K-01 was always intended to be an economy model that would be released during the 2012 Christmas season, and the whole year of failure was a brilliantly engineered viral campaign to make the budget buyers overlook the inherent design limitations when the time came.

I have another theory that in keeping with Pentax's recent fondess for re-using old camera names (MX, Efina), the successor to the horribly overpriced and underfeatured "K-01" is a feature-rich economy model called the "K-01".
01-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A trained chimp could do a better job at marketing than Pentax can. If they hired me they'd make millions, and I'm a software developer. I don't know a damn thing about marketing. (Which, when it comes down to it, may be why I'd do a better job of it).

Seriously, fire EVERYONE in your marketing department, and make decisions by throwing darts at a board. You'll get better results, Pentax.

That being said, the K-01 is the most enjoyable camera I've ever used. I have more fun shooting with this camera than any other.

Charles.

01-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon and Nikon, even Fuji and Sony and Oly have a host of non-employee marketers - pros, reviewers, store employees and millions of owners of their products - that Pentax can never match. Pentax must create buzz - they MUST be different.

Sometimes it works, as in the viral photo releases of the K-7. Sometimes it fails, as in the Newson design.

Given the constraints of their circumstances Pentax marketing is actually quite remarkable. It is Pentax Americas that has been a total mess.

If Ricoh can cut loose of some money maybe Pentax can do some more traditional marketing (don't hold your breath).
01-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't see how dumping K01 inventory at a loss could be a sign of anything positive for the line...

I like using my K01 very much and will likely buy another one someday on the used market for $100 or less.