Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

For video, does auto-ISO work in M mode?

I got a K-01 recently, and am trying to learn about video basics. I am trying to take advantage of the abilities that the K-01 gives you to control the video settings, which my K-5 does not. From what I have read, a general rule is that it's a good idea to keep your shutter speed set to twice your framerate. So, if I stick with the default frame rate of 30, my shutter speed should be at 1/60th. I understand the part about setting aperature, as that seems to function the same way as for stills, larger aperature for more light gathering, but less DOF, smaller aperature for more DOF, but less light gathering. For ISO, again, I assume it's basically the same as film. So, now to my question.

For exposure modes in the K-01, it seems the choices are P, AV, and M. I don't want to use P, because I always know what I want my shutter speed to be, and I don't know what the camera is choosing. For the same reason, I don't want to use AV, because I want to set the shutter speed myself. This leaves me with M. So, in M mode, can I set the SS, set the aperature, and then set the ISO to Auto, and let the camera choose the ISO so that if the lighting changes, it will still expose correctly?

Have the "program lines" that the K-01 uses in P or AV mode been published anywhere? For example, in P mode, does the camera try to follow the 2x frame rate rule and keep the SS at 2x the frame rate for as long as it can, more freely changing the aperature and ISO? Thanks very much for any help.

01-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
So, in M mode, can I set the SS, set the aperature, and then set the ISO to Auto, and let the camera choose the ISO so that if the lighting changes, it will still expose correctly?
Yes. In M mode, you set the ISO the same way you do for photos. It will only go up to 3200, though. The display of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO will turn red if it can't set an adequate ISO value.

QuoteQuote:
Have the "program lines" that the K-01 uses in P or AV mode been published anywhere? For example, in P mode, does the camera try to follow the 2x frame rate rule and keep the SS at 2x the frame rate for as long as it can, more freely changing the aperature and ISO?
Don't know.
01-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

M with auto ISO works well for video

You have the right idea. My default in video is M, 1/60th shutter speed, a relatively wide open aperture setting for relatively static situations, but f/8 or as much as f/16 is preferred when needing to change focus due to anticipated movement. I allow the ISO to float, and that works very well. The one rather odd situation you will encounter is that lenses older than A-series (i.e. anything without the electrical contact) will result in the shutter defaulting to a particular shutter speed - which appears to be 1/60th (well, that was dumb luck I suppose). This is a bit of disadvantage in some situations, though, as you are likely to prefer 1/30th or 1/25th in some low light situations or where motion blur (such as a fan or running water) is visible and the blur is desired.

The lenses without electrical contacts also trigger some form auto-ISO even if you set the camera to manual ISO. To some extent, you will get exposure adjustment at a set ISO even with the newer (electrical contact) lenses when lighting changes, but not to the same level of responsiveness you get with auto-ISO. Perhaps this is a form of sensor protection, as bright light at high ISO with a wide open aperture can damage a sensor fairly quickly.

Although I really like how the K-01 handles changing lighting in auto-ISO as I pan, or when conditions change, I also notice that this can trigger a rather unpleasant, rapid shift in the white balance (even though temperature of lighting actually has not changed). It might be worthwhile to set auto-ISO but pin your color temperature in shooting situations where the type of light is not likely to change significantly.
01-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. Is there a practical or actual limit as to the slowest ss that can be used in video?

01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of an actual limit, but I can't imagine a reason why anyone would go below 1/25th - which is the approximate of 24 fps. There would be no advantage to going slower than that.