Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ASa Quote
I believe this technique is used for better framing. This way you will see what's left outside of the image you're about to take. This is also a recommended technique when aiming, as it won't stress your eye muscles and your eyesight remains clearer for longer periods. I guess same would apply when aiming through a VF
You can take this even further with pre-focused telephoto lenses by using a red dot finder, you can see the whole scene and the red dot centers on what the camera sees. You haven't got to find your subject in the viewfinder, you just put the red dot onto it and your automatically centered in the viewfinder. Birders and Astro Photographers use this technique a lot. Birds in flight shots become child's play.

There does seem to be an over reliance on technology, there is a lot of 'press and hope' amongst sports photographers and seem to accept that some of their shots will be out of focus and compensate with rattling off umpteen shots in a second and hope that some of them will be in focus. When they're not they blame the camera!

Could be a case of a step forward in technology is a step back in technique and results?

When I was a sports photographer we had 36 shots and they all needed to count, I got an earful from my editor if any were out of focus, focused the mind enormously (sorry for the pun).

01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Useful for Sports/Action so that the shooter can see what is outside the "frame" to anticipate what is coming into the frame. Bears on timing the shutter release in an action shot (such as when a baseball batter is about to swing) in the days when fps didn't allow "spray and pray". A professional sports shooter was in some ways as quick as a professional athlete.

I once shot at my son's Lacrosse game with my daughter, who frowned, and told me to take my camera off AF.c and learn to shoot.

And to think I bought her a K1000. Heh.
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #33

I got my K-01 at about the same time that I got my K-5IIs. I find that I grab the K-01 more and more each day, especially with MF lenses and for shooting inside. I just can't seem to get used to using it outside in bright light situations. I also am less than enamored with the 40mm lens. I find the 35mm 2.8 to be a much better match.
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Khoff2 Quote
Just picked up the K-01 last week to compare and see if could replace my K-r. This is what I have discovered.

<SNIP>

- AF too slow for moving kids
<SNIP>
That's a feature, not a bug - right?

02-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbdm99 Quote
I'm going to go off topic just a bit here and say something that I'm sure has been covered on this forum any number of times, but AF isn't needed to take great (in focus!) sports images, keep up with moving kids, etc. That said, seeing as my K-01 is still not here, I'm not sure how practical it would be to do these things (focus peaking or not) on a live view screen, but there are millions of action packed images that were taken well before the advent of AF. I know I used to take a lot of action images with no AF (and no flash for that matter) on high speed B&W film using a hand me down K1000 and Canon AE-1. Of course I'm not saying that a great AF system doesn't help and isn't/wasn't game changing, just that it is not necessary.

Sorry, ranting. I get tired of hearing that the AF system is the end all, be all of camerdom. That said, with my aging eyes, it is helpful
I'm with you! I usually turn the AF off and focus just like I used to, when I had to focus by hand. Old dogs die hard, I guess, but AF means little to me. Clarity and the ability to take pictures w/o flash in dimly lit areas is important to me. I think the K-01 will fit the bill.....if it'd ever arrive!

I loved my K1000 and I'd be using it today if digital hadn't made the scene.
02-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #36

Original Poster
Thought I would just post a quick update regarding k01 vs k5.

Received it last Friday and am loving the camera so far, especially its focus peaking feature. I would be willing to dump the k5 to use it exclusively but the market for used k5 is pretty bad. Average selling price in Singapore for a used k5 is around USD 480. Definitely not enough enticing for me to want to let it go

In terms of weight and size, I don't think that k01 offers that much of an advantage over k5. I feel that Pentax has failed terribly in the execution of k01 because it does not differentiate itself sufficiently to hold on its own. Price is probably the biggest draw but then again, the current low price is driven by the need to clear its inventory rather than a sustainable and profitable pricing strategy.

Just some thoughts on what I personally feel k01 should be:
1) Firstly, it should be much lighter and slimmer. Yes, I understand that the k-mount flange distance is a limiting factor. But I can't help but feel that the rest of the camera body could be made much slimmer, in a form factor like the Samsung nx200 http://www.cameranotice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Samsung-NX200-Black-S...w-Pictures.jpg

2) A tilting screen would negate some of the disadvantages of not having a viewfinder, and differentiate itself as the camera which encourage creative compositions that would be more difficult in Pentax other DSLR
02-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shihaochew Quote

Just some thoughts on what I personally feel k01 should be:
1) Firstly, it should be much lighter and slimmer. Yes, I understand that the k-mount flange distance is a limiting factor. But I can't help but feel that the rest of the camera body could be made much slimmer, in a form factor like the Samsung nx200 http://www.cameranotice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Samsung-NX200-Black-S...w-Pictures.jpg

The Samsung nx200 might use an APS-C sensor like the K-01 but it doesn't use traditional SLR/DSLR lenses with a large flange back distance. The nx-series cameras are able to be thinner because they have specially designed lenses and tiny little batteries that are exhausted in half the time of the battery in the K-01.

I feel like the biggest mistake that Pentax and Ricoh made with the K-01 is that they didn't specifically promote it as a camera for use with compact primes; the DA Limited and a new line of XS lenses. As soon as you mount a zoom lens on the K-01 it looks ridiculous compared to other mirrorless cameras, but if you stick to smaller primes it remains roughly the same size as other mirrorless cameras (just with a thick grip/body).

02-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #38

Original Poster
What I wanted to point out with nx200 is that the camera body can be small while still having a protrusion where the lens is to be mounted (which is seen in nx200)...

The size of k01 with limited primes may be reasonable compact, but it sure is heavy! 560g for just the camera body alone?! OMD-EM5 is the largest looking body there but weighs only 425g

02-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm also of the opinion that the K-01 is better with smaller lenses, but based on various "lenspr0n" discussions, it seems like a lot of folks are using the K-01 with hefty zooms, where a smaller body would be even harder to grip.

In addition to shorter flange focal distance, the NX doesn't have in-body image stabilization. Of the 13mm behind the shutter in the K-01, about 10mm of it is the sensor / SR chassis (which is also the source of a lot of the weight). With all the other efforts to squeeze the design, I'm going to assume that if they could make this smaller, they would have. The tilt screens I have seen were 8-10mm thick - even if you discard SR to get a thinner body, the tilt screen puts the size back to square one.

As slender as the NX200 is, for a fair comparison, you have to picture it with a K-mount adapter, which would more than triple the length of the black tube sticking out of the front - it would look like it already had a lens mounted (which would probably draw just as much derision as the "brick" design). It would also need to be bigger for the AF motor (the NX doesn't have one). Based on an interview with the designers, they could have shaved some size on the front left corner, but elected not to because it would have made the "nose" look longer.

Admittedly, some of the size of the K-01 is because so much of it was borrowed from its dSLR siblings. A from-scratch design might be a little smaller, but the only way to make it a LOT smaller is to give up functionality like SR, battery life, built-in flash, etc.
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #40

I decided to sell either my K-01 or the K-5 some months ago, just too may cameras.

The K-01 has weaker AA filter, is smaller, perfect for travel photography with the limited 15/40/70mm. And the K-5 was easier to sell, for a higher price. In Case I want to use a optical view finder, I have plenty of other cameras. One more important reason was, the K-01 is able to give sharp pitures at 1/3 second and 40mm without using a tripod, when using the slow continuous mode and throwing away the first one or two pictures taken of one scene.
02-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donesteban Quote
One more important reason was, the K-01 is able to give sharp pitures at 1/3 second and 40mm without using a tripod, when using the slow continuous mode and throwing away the first one or two pictures taken of one scene.
Thanks for sharing this info.
I just tried it with the 40mm XS, in the house, at 1/4 second, and the second shot was pretty darn sharp.
Something to do with the SR maybe??
02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thanks for sharing this info.
I just tried it with the 40mm XS, in the house, at 1/4 second, and the second shot was pretty darn sharp.
Something to do with the SR maybe??
If I had to speculate, I'd say it has to do with eliminating the movement induced by hitting the shutter button. Seems like a good tip, and I'll be trying that. Thanks donesteban!

Last edited by Doundounba; 02-25-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Add thanks, fix typo.
02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
If I had to speculate, I'd say it has to do with eliminating the movement induced by hitting the shutter button. Seems like a good tip, and I'll be trying that. Thanks donesteban!
Yeah, it is more to do with your hand stabilizing than the camera doing anything with SR...