Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where the K-01 truly shines

I already own a K-5, but when I saw that recent deal for a K-01 and a 40mm XS lens for $316, I snapped up a white one. I was a little unsure how it would work into my photographic life, as the K-5 is already so capable. But now it's clear.

The K-01 is absolutely wonderful to use with narrow DoF situations. Even as nice as the K-5 viewfinder is and with the aid of CIF focusing, they are no substitute for the focus peaking of the K-01. I have a Pentax 50mm F/1.2 and now a Rokinon 85mm F/1.4 lens. They are really tricky to focus effectively on the K-5 when shooting wide open. But on the K-01, these lenses are much easier to use. I find the visualization of the focus plane moving forward and backwards as I focus the lens makes it much easier to place the focus exactly where I want. If you own any super fast lenses, the focus peaking is like a revelation!

01-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #2

White K-01 at $316

Where did you find one at this price? I'm awaiting the $315 deal on the yellow K-01(I'm now in the purported "delivery window") but I never saw anything on a white one with the 40mm f/2.8 at this price or I would have opted for that. Regardless, gotta love closeouts on what seems like it will be a fine and useful camera.
01-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree, K-01 rocks with FP, however on flip side, handling long lenses with K-01 is tricky.
02-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducky62 Quote
Where did you find one at this price? I'm awaiting the $315 deal on the yellow K-01(I'm now in the purported "delivery window") but I never saw anything on a white one with the 40mm f/2.8 at this price or I would have opted for that. Regardless, gotta love closeouts on what seems like it will be a fine and useful camera.
Here it is for $299:
Pentax K-01 Digital Camera (Yellow) 15322 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I already own a K-5, but when I saw that recent deal for a K-01 and a 40mm XS lens for $316, I snapped up a white one. I was a little unsure how it would work into my photographic life, as the K-5 is already so capable. But now it's clear.

The K-01 is absolutely wonderful to use with narrow DoF situations. Even as nice as the K-5 viewfinder is and with the aid of CIF focusing, they are no substitute for the focus peaking of the K-01. I have a Pentax 50mm F/1.2 and now a Rokinon 85mm F/1.4 lens. They are really tricky to focus effectively on the K-5 when shooting wide open. But on the K-01, these lenses are much easier to use. I find the visualization of the focus plane moving forward and backwards as I focus the lens makes it much easier to place the focus exactly where I want. If you own any super fast lenses, the focus peaking is like a revelation!
Hmm... I don't own one but perhaps these points, which i derive from my friends' using it, could add on to it's pros for those who are deciding on grabbing it:

• Useful for macro due to it being mirrorless; no delay in shutter when subject is in focus (no double shutter effect like in live view using other models)
  • Snapshots from differing angles as it would be much easier to see the focus peaking as compared to just plain live view when shooting, e.g.above crowd, above head, below eye level
04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to share a new anecdote. I rented a DA70 for an upcoming event. I popped it on my K-5 and took a few test pictures. They were really soft. Further testing demonstrated some pretty heavy back-focus. I had to dial in a +10 on the fine focus adjustment to account for this. That is, unless I'm shooting in tungsten light. In that case, the front-focus and back-focus cancel out and it works at no focus adjustment at all. This took me a lot of repetitive tests to figure out.

Then I put the lens on my K-01 and it was perfect from the start. One of the benefits of contrast detect autofocus! :-)
04-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-01 is a very capable camera with fast lenses.
04-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Then I put the lens on my K-01 and it was perfect from the start. One of the benefits of contrast detect autofocus! :-)
I put my Tamron 17-50/2.8 on the K-01 this weekend, and was similarly pleased that it was nailing things on the first try. I usually have to keep an eye on that lens for FF/BF (especially on my K-r). The Tammy is rather large for my tastes on the K-01, but I was feeling lazy and didn't want to do a bunch of lens changes or zooming with my feet.

04-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to share a new anecdote. I rented a DA70 for an upcoming event. I popped it on my K-5 and took a few test pictures. They were really soft. Further testing demonstrated some pretty heavy back-focus. I had to dial in a +10 on the fine focus adjustment to account for this. That is, unless I'm shooting in tungsten light. In that case, the front-focus and back-focus cancel out and it works at no focus adjustment at all. This took me a lot of repetitive tests to figure out.

So does that mean the DA70 was a bad copy? Should a good copy work flawlessly on both?
04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

Focus peaking is also a great way to set the zone focus with deep DoF for street shooting situations when a lens (like the 40mmXS) lacks a hyperfocal distance scale.
04-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Totally agree here. I've been choosing the Focus Peaking over the diagonal split prism I put in the k5. Which I never would have imagined before getting the k01. Every camera from here forward ought have peaking.
04-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The K-01 has been such a revelation for me with fast lenses and for macro, my favorite kinds of photography. I have a black one and a yellow, and I can only hope that I never see a deal on a white one because I'll probably buy that as well...
04-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
So does that mean the DA70 was a bad copy? Should a good copy work flawlessly on both?
I have a lot of lenses that front/back focus. That's where the individual lens settings come in handy on the K-5.