Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #46

May be they just discontiued it to make room for the K02 on the assembly line.......but I will get my white K01 very soon :-)

02-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand the K-01 was designed under Hoya-Pentax, and if I were Ricoh-Pentax I would cut my losses on the K-01. Not that it isn't nice, but I would think camera manufacturers have a very short time period after release to see if a camera will make it to volume production or not. While the K-01 is seeing a surge in popularity, this is partly because Pentax is selling at production cost (if not below) and I can't imagine they're making money at that price. There isn't much for Pentax to gamble that move toward the design and production of an APS-C successor to the K-01 would be any more successful.

Given the pressure for FF, I would think that they will rather concentrate their limited resources (relative to the Big ones) to figuring out what that would look like. Can a FF MILC be performant enough to meet the expectation brought from the higher price tag that comes along ? One option that would be right down the alley of Ricoh, is to build an APS-C/FF equivalent to a MF camera, i.e. a K-mount body (and even perhaps one with the 645 mount even) that takes all Pentax lenses + sensor/LCD backs + removable EVF. You pick and choose the combination that suits your purpose best.
02-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #48

My yellow one was on back order, so far back, that B&H didn't know when it would ship. So I cancelled and ordered a black one from Amazon and it's going to take another 12 days or so. SO...seems like people are afraid that P-Tax is going to CNX the line and there is some panic buying going on. I have a slew of old K-mount lenses, some back to the 50's and I want too screw those babies onto my new K-01 and get busy!
02-26-2013, 02:31 AM - 4 Likes   #49

Pentax is Making a Mistake

Pentax shouldn't have decided to discontinue the K-01. I'm an editor and journalist, who works with a number of photographers, all of who absolutely adore the K-01. The discounted price drew a lot of them to the camera, despite the ambivalent reviews from the likes of Steve Huff, DPReview, etc. The reason? The excellent image quality, the video, and the fact that to working photojournos, it's a K5 at half to a third of the price. In such lean times, such pricing makes a difference. Quite often, I fear, camera manufacturers forget this segment of consumers, who, in reality, tend to spend the most on gear. Had Pentax decided to keep the K-01 in production, and introduce updates over time, it would have proved profitable. The growing appreciation of the K-01, in user comments at vendors like B&H, says a lot about the nearsightedness of Pentax decision. Who matters most? Users. Not snarky talkbacks on gearhead blogs, or fashion photographer equivalents, who can throw down 5K$ on a Leica for street photography.

02-26-2013, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

+1 to everything jschalit said. I completely abandoned Pentax shortly after the K-7 was released (for reasons I won't get into now) but the low price of the K-01 was so tempting that I bought one. Within a week the shooting experience (for stills and video) and more importantly the image quality from the K-01 convinced me to re-purchase a relatively large kit of Pentax lenses and a SECOND K-01 body.

I hope Pentax makes a K-02.
02-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I understand the K-01 was designed under Hoya-Pentax
The label on the underside of my PENTAX Q reads 'HOYA CORPORATION'
But the label under my PENTAX K-01 reads 'PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CO.,LTD.'
02-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Discontinuing was right decision - six months ago

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. Pentax stopped production on the K-01 in September (almost six months ago), when new units just went to the warehouse. They dropped the price to around $500 in September, and it still didn't sell. (Well, that's when I bought mine, and a handful of other people.) At that time, the decision to stop production made perfect sense.

They finally slashed the prices to just-get-rid-of-it levels, and suddenly it was selling - but at a $299, they can't be making a profit, or are just making enough to cover the costs of production, shipping and storing the things for a year. So they should pump money into restarting a factory line for something that only sells for no profit?

Of all the poor decisions on the K-01 - too high a starting price, no serious marketing, polarizing styling, poor original AF, odd button placement, no EVF (personally, not having one is a plus for me), the decision to discontinue it was the correct one. It would have been different if people were cheering it (and buying it) six months ago. Or nine. Or twelve.

Last edited by THoog; 02-26-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: and buying it - money talks louder than words
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #53

Disagree

I agree that the K-01 was poorly marketed and priced initially. However, user experience is subjective. I've encountered more professional adoptees, as well as enthusiasts indulge positives than negatives. I understand that the sales of the K-01 picked up finally, following the second price cut. Considering how well-liked the camera became, Pentax ought to have taken a hint from that, and perhaps considered a revision or update to the line, instead of dropping it entirely. To offer a camera like that, at 300$, with better IQ than a Fuji X100, and lowlight capabilities than an Olympus OMD, is a real gift to users. It stands to reason that Pentax could have figured out a way to profit from it.

Last edited by jschalit; 02-26-2013 at 02:43 PM.
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

They have no doubt allocated the production facility for other products and couldn't reoffer a K-01 or K-02 now anyway.

It is probably dead and gone.
02-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #55

I'm sure you're right. It's unfortunate.
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

It is unfortunate, because it's a good camera. I bought my (first) K-01 just because I thought the quiet shutter would be useful in museums (and it is!), but its negatives have become positives - the lack of a viewfinder has gotten me shooting from angles that I wouldn't have bothered with before, the much-hated "toy" looks make it invisible where a dSLR gets attention, and the weird ergonomics work for me - better for one-hand than a traditional dSLR. It's a niche design, but it turns out I am that niche. (Forget the K-02, I want a K-01IIs!) (In electric blue!)

If Pentax released a K-02 with the same sensor, slightly improved brains, in a plastic body with either retro or "soapdish" styling, with the K-r/K-30 battery to make it just a hair slimmer, still with no EVF or tilt-screen to keep it small and inexpensive - I think it would still sit on the shelf unless they priced it below $400. People would still squawk about the lack of EVF/tilt and being bigger/heavier than other MILCs and slow CDAF focusing. Pentax would need to sell a lot of lenses to make that work, and bargain buyers won't jump at the Limiteds (I didn't, and know now that I should have!). If there was a line of XS lenses... but that ship sailed nine months ago.
02-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #57
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
They finally slashed the prices to just-get-rid-of-it levels, and suddenly it was selling - but at a $299, they can't be making a profit, or are just making enough to cover the costs of production, shipping and storing the things for a year.
Well this is probably just good business practice. Both for Nikon and Olympus, their excess inventory was a major black spot on their financial results. It seems to me that Ricoh/Pentax just has a more aggressive approach to running down their stock, which is being seen as desperation.

Here in Japan, Olympus is selling the EPL-5 as their current model, but the EPL-3 is still selling better and there are plenty of EPL-2s and EPL-1s on the shelves. The number on shops with stock of the K-01 is dropping by the day. Being officially discontinued points to another low-end K-mount camera coming soon, if you ask me.

In the meantime, the K-01 (+ some old lenses) has to be the cheapest way to get into APS-C photography at the moment. I don't know about yours, but mine doesn't have a scratch on it, despite heavy use. And without the mirror to go wrong, I expect this camera to last me for long time. (Background - my K20D's mirror alignment issue after a fall was what made me buy the K-01 in the first place)
02-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. Pentax stopped production on the K-01 in September (almost six months ago), when new units just went to the warehouse. They dropped the price to around $500 in September, and it still didn't sell. (Well, that's when I bought mine, and a handful of other people.) At that time, the decision to stop production made perfect sense.

They finally slashed the prices to just-get-rid-of-it levels, and suddenly it was selling - but at a $299, they can't be making a profit....
I agree. I think it is a wonderful camera for the user at $299 (and I am lucky to have bought it for that), but it can't be great for the manufacturer at that price.
02-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
In the meantime, the K-01 (+ some old lenses) has to be the cheapest way to get into APS-C photography at the moment. I don't know about yours, but mine doesn't have a scratch on it, despite heavy use. And without the mirror to go wrong, I expect this camera to last me for long time. (Background - my K20D's mirror alignment issue after a fall was what made me buy the K-01 in the first place)
I thought my Bumblebee had a scratch on the LCD the other day, but it was just some schmutz from the camera bag and wiped right off. The shutter in my Classic Black went out after six weeks, which disturbed me, but no one else seems to have had this problem. After two months of waiting for a new shutter block on the slow boat from Japan, it's back in action. The 16MP sensor really is more than I need, so I will probably be shooting these cameras for a long time...
03-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Supplies dwindling

As of the time of tbis post B&H shows no K-01 kits with the 40XS lens in any color. Adorama has the Black kit and White kit left. (The Black kit is $21 less expensive than the White). In effect, the DA40/2.8XS is only $58.95 more than the body itself when comparing the prices of the Black Body-only and the Black kit with lens.

Both stores have some two-lens kits available.