Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #16

I have been using Pentax cameras since they came out and I'm excited about my K-01 that I just ordered. It's funky Pentax like, one reason I bought it. Even if they discontinue I'll use it and prolly for years.

I've read some vicious reviews and frankly I wonder why some people are so worked up over a camera. A flimsey disc door? Okay, I'll be careful.

02-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding PJ1's modular camera, it's an interesting concept, certainly. I have two thoughts: (1) it would have to be fairly large and heavy, by Pentax dSLR standards - every module would need to be enclosed to make it swappable/durable in the field, where everything is squished together in conventional cameras with only air gaps, and (2) in concept, it's really more an extension of the Ricoh modular camera than the K-01. Small size was very much part of the K-01 "concept" - they squeezed like crazy and even went with a (squeezed) pancake lens. Except for the K-mount itself, the K-01 is not modular or flexible in any way. Its uniqueness was in its omissions, not additions. Under the skin, it's a K-30 stuck in LiveView mode. Brickiness aside, I think what you're talking is much more GXR-K than K-02.

Last edited by THoog; 02-02-2013 at 06:12 AM.
02-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Assuming that Pentax is at least breaking even on the K-01 selling it at 300 dollars, surely a K-02 could fill a bottom, entry level slot. Sell it for 500 dollars, add sealing and bump the specs a little and it will be the second coming of the kx.
02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was at CP+ today and there was no sign of the K-01 in the catalogue or anywhere at the Pentax booth. I spoke to someone from Pentax, who confirmed it is no longer in production and they are just selling the remaining stock. The guy I spoke to was Hiraku Kawauchi, who Pentax Forums interviewed last year. I mentioned to him that I really like the camera and am really tempted to get another one.

So, I think I can confirm it's discontinued. If you want one, get one quick!

02-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I was at CP+ today and there was no sign of the K-01 in the catalogue or anywhere at the Pentax booth. I spoke to someone from Pentax, who confirmed it is no longer in production and they are just selling the remaining stock. The guy I spoke to was Hiraku Kawauchi, who Pentax Forums interviewed last year. I mentioned to him that I really like the camera and am really tempted to get another one.

I wish we could know why they actually discontinued it.

I personally think they were taken completely by surprise by the negative reaction and Japanese pride forces them to bury it and deny it ever existed.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-02-2013 at 06:43 AM.
02-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #21

The K01 is a good camera. No fuss, simple camera that take excellent images.

Pentax should keep the production running, and just pump out new firmwares every two months with new menu capabilities (if possible extra features) to excite new users i.e. downloadable appz.
02-02-2013, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #22

Well, even if it's been discontinued, I am really glad I got a copy before they went away. I bought mine when the price dropped below $400 and I can only say that it has really grown on me since I did. I like the reactions I get to the funky looks and the IQ is great. It's become my go-to camera, especially for taking to places like the Canton's Trade Days or the Stock Show. The reactions to it are similar to those I get when I'm using one of my old Spotmatics or my 645, and for me that's half the fun of taking photos.

02-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

Thanks, JPT. Can't get much clearer than that.

When I first got my (first) K-01, I thought it had the potential for a cult following when closeout time came. It would be great if it brings a surge of new users to the brand in its last days. If Pentax was baffled by the initial hostility, I can't imagine what they think of an enthusiastic following for a camera they want to forget about. Too, too bad it didn't catch on from the start. I've seen lots of "if they had done ONE thing differently" theories, but like you say, the thing to do now is get one if you want one, and get out and shoot with it!
02-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

When I first got my (first) K-01, I thought it had the potential for a cult following when closeout time came. It would be great if it brings a surge of new users to the brand in its last days. If Pentax was baffled by the initial hostility, I can't imagine what they think of an enthusiastic following for a camera they want to forget about. Too, too bad it didn't catch on from the start. I've seen lots of "if they had done ONE thing differently" theories, but like you say, the thing to do now is get one if you want one, and get out and shoot with it!
No VF is the deal breaker for me...and I am sure i'm not alone.
02-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

The greatest irony is that if the quirky design can be blamed for the initial hostility, the very same quirky design can help ensure it becomes a cult-classic.

If it does become a cult-classic, will that be chalked up as a success for Marc Newson or a failure? What is more the measure of a successful design, its short-term popularity at the cash register or its long-term popularity as a collectible?
02-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spotmatic Quote
I'm sure you aren't - the sale numbers prove it! I felt the same way when it was released. And yet... I've changed my mind, and now I'm really glad it doesn't have one, because it forced me to start shooting differently. EVFs seem to run about $200-400 (Pentax would probably make that $500, *sigh*), which would have made the K-01 an even more expensive K-30 - with a laggy viewfinder and painfully slow AF. The thought of Focus Peaking in the viewfinder is tantalizing, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
What is more the measure of a successful design, its short-term popularity at the cash register or its long-term popularity as a collectible?
Probably depends on whether you are trying to sell new or used cameras.
02-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
Pentaxian

May have to go ahead and snag a second one if they really are discontinuing it.
02-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I'm still waiting for my FIRST one to get here!
02-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #29

It was a deal breaker for me, too, until the closeout prices forced me to buy one. Then, after using it for a while, I realized I don't need a VF.

Now, the only time I get out the K20D is when I need fast AF and/or high burst speed. Which is not very often.
02-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #30

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jim6522 Quote
It was a deal breaker for me, too, until the closeout prices forced me to buy one. Then, after using it for a while, I realized I don't need a VF.

Now, the only time I get out the K20D is when I need fast AF and/or high burst speed. Which is not very often.
Same here. The only reason I bought one was because of the closeout price. I figured it was cheaper than a high end compact so I bought it to use in the situations I'd use a compact in. If I was going to use a compact anyway then the lack of VF wouldn't hurt. I've been pleasantly surprised. It did a couple weeks to get used to, but then I was composing better than before. And my fears of blurry shots without having that point of contact with my face haven't been justified since I figured out that shooting technique is just a little different without a VF. Same with the Q except there it was no VF AND a small sensor. 2 strikes. But it turned out to be a winner too. My K10D has not been out since I got both of the MILCs. But to be honest though, if I had a K5 or K30 it might be a different story with the K-01. I probably wouldn't have bought it even at the closeout price. But I also wouldn't have learned how to compose in Live View either.