Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just on B&H and they still show the white K-01 with 40mm XS in stock ($379) and all three colors available body only and two-lens kits. I'm glad I ordered a second body (yellow to go with my white one) before they disappear. It's scheduled to arrive here on Tuesday.

03-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
A funny thing happened on the way to the K-01

I now have three K-01's.
While that may seem excessive there is a reason for that.
When they were originally released I thought the price point was way off for what I perceived to be a whacky camera so I struck it off my photography gizmo list.
When the price dropped (body only) to $299 here in Oz I thought "why not" and bought a black one
I had a lot of fun playing with my new toy and was really surprised when a second one turned up out of the blue from the same online store.
Though tempted to keep it I returned it to the store and was rewarded with a nifty Lowepro case for my honesty.

That's when the jealousy set in. All you guys in the U.S.A. were suddenly getting the camera with the 40mm lens for fractionally more ($389 from B+H)
After surfing the net I found Amazon had the funky yellow one for $316 and so the money burned right through my pocket and the order went straight to Amazon
Then disappointment set in when Amazon's automated delivery notice told me I couldn't have one delivered to Australia so I cancelled the order (so I thought) and bought one from B+H for $389
The next thing I know I get an email from Amazon telling me that my new K-01 is on its way.

While at first I was going to return It I have decided to keep it for the following reasons.
1. I don't have to tool about changing lenses in dusty, crowded conditions where I would probably drop something
2. most people are not threatened by the funky little brick when at social functions or in street photography
3. I can now have a couple of lenses mounted and ready for those "moments" when you wished you had the DA10-17 or the 17-50 etc etc
4. Although the K-01 is a bit bulky it still fits quite nicely in the copious pockets of my Domke vest or attached to my camera sling(s)
5. At social events other people are happy to have a play with a K-01 who would otherwise avoid a DSLR
6. It takes great video
7. You can sit one on a shelf or a tripod (at some risk) taking interval shots at a party and walk around with the others taking more personal shots

These little cameras have all together cost less than a K-5II and can do almost as much.

All in all I am disappointed that Pentax have finally got the price right but have discontinued such a great camera.
03-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got my yellow K-01 last week after selling my E-PM1. This camera is wonderful and it's a shame they discontinued it. The focus peaking is awesome and it really feels solid in my hands. RIP
03-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I see a huge list of 'discontinued' PENTAX model here, so what's the big fuss?
Discontinued Model Lineup | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

I just regard 'discontinued' as 'no longer manufactured'. No longer manufacturing the K-01 doesn't necessarily mean we won't see another K-mount MILC, does it?
(That was a rhetorical question )

03-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I see a huge list of 'discontinued' PENTAX model here, so what's the big fuss?
Discontinued Model Lineup | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

I just regard 'discontinued' as 'no longer manufactured'. No longer manufacturing the K-01 doesn't necessarily mean we won't see another K-mount MILC, does it?
(That was a rhetorical question )
In most of the cases listed the discontinued model was openly replaced by another model in its class before the discontinuation listing occured. Listing the K-01 discontinued without any announced K-mount mirrorless replcement implies there will not be another K-mount mirrorless with a Pentax brand.
03-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #66
Veteran Member

We may be surpised.. Pentax have a way of doing that

QuoteQuote:
Has the K-01 been discontinued?
Well, we haven’t completely discontinued it.

Do you have any final words for the Pentax community?
From now on Pentax Ricoh Imaging will, well the Pentax brand and Ricoh brand, will want to put out unique and interesting cameras that excite people such as compact cameras, Q-mount, K-mount, and 645, so please look forward to that.
03-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In most of the cases listed the discontinued model was openly replaced by another model in its class before the discontinuation listing occured. Listing the K-01 discontinued without any announced K-mount mirrorless replcement implies there will not be another K-mount mirrorless with a Pentax brand.
But last year the K-r was officially discontinued in December or January, and the K-30 was announced only in May.

True, it's not its direct successor, but with Pentax we never know

03-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #68

Here is a shot of Peter Vohringer, marketing representative of Ricoh Pentax in Germany, accepting the GOLD German Design Award for the K-01 in the "Lifestyle" category on February 15. You can tell by the look on his face, he already knew it was over.
Attached Images

03-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #69
Veteran Member

You could read anything into that expression
03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #70
Inactive Account

I think the award is appropriate - the K-01 is a ground-breaker in a world of look-alikes and lemmings. His expression is that tight-lipped mouth-squinch that us executives use to show we're pleased but not too pleased.
03-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #71
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

lol! I know that situation. "Don't mention the award!"
03-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
His expression is that tight-lipped mouth-squinch that us executives use to show we're pleased but not too pleased.
I'm not an executive, but I have passed gas on occasion.
03-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #73

I was planning to buy it, maybe I get good deal now, or prices will go up?
03-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
One of my first thoughts was "maybe too much sauerkraut at lunch?"
03-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
No worries, it's the same face. You're top mgmt material.